Sipple Article

Steven M. Sipple: Despite losses, Huskers still have bounce

Looking back, could anyone have anticipated all the losing?

“We never expected anything like this,” Nebraska baseball coach Mike Anderson said. “Never.”

A proud program has been bullied this season, dazed by 10 straight Big 12 losses.

Fifteen regular-season games remain. The good news is, Nebraska players still have some bounce. You saw resiliency Tuesday in the way they battled hard to beat Creighton.

Are Husker fans as resilient?

“Based on what I’ve seen, yes, there’s not a question,” Anderson said.

Actually, there is a question. Only 4,071 spectators materialized on a gorgeous night at Rosenblatt Stadium in Omaha. Since 2005, Nebraska-Creighton has averaged 13,000 fans at Rosenblatt. Will Husker fans steer away from Haymarket Park down the stretch?

Empty seats represent lost revenue and tend to attract any budget-minded athletic director’s attention.

So, about those fans ...

“This is the honest-to-God’s truth,” Anderson said. “I’ve received one — that’s right, only one — negative e-mail.”

The positive-negative ratio is running about 200-to-1, he said.

I believe Anderson has earned such patience and support. But there are limits. Make no mistake, Nebraska fans will be watching closely to see how hard the Huskers (18-21-1 overall, 4-14 Big 12) compete the rest of the way. Are young players improving?

Nebraska has three remaining Big 12 series, starting this weekend at Kansas (8-7 Big 12). The Huskers wrap up with home series against Missouri (8-10) and Baylor (10-7). I think it’s fair to expect NU to win at least three or four of its final nine league games. Is that too much to ask?

Nobody’s job is on the line here (that I know of). But next season, NU needs an upper-division Big 12 finish to restore full confidence in the coaching staff.

That said, I retain a lot of confidence in the staff. For one thing, I appreciate the on-field and off-field values the coaches instill in players. The program has recovered nicely from the spate of disciplinary issues in 2007.

Anderson’s not perfect. He tinkers with his lineup too much for my liking. This season, he removed pitcher Mike Nesseth from the starting rotation too quickly and was too slow to bring him back. On the other hand, he and other team leaders deserve ample credit for maintaining unity.

“The team is as close now as we were at the beginning of the season, if not closer,” senior pitcher Erik Bird said.

Anderson called a team meeting before Tuesday’s game. He spelled out exactly what the Huskers need to do to sneak into the Big 12 Tournament. It actually was a light-hearted session, Bird said. For instance, Anderson handed out photos of himself as a 10-year-old.

“Probably because he looked funny,” Bird said.

One other thing about the meeting: Anderson, who forever cultivates a clean-cut image, gave his players an incentive.

“He said as long as we keep winning, we can grow our beards out,” Bird said.

You know what they say about desperate times.

This pretty much sums it up..