Alex Gordon picked 2nd overall

Gordon helped lead the Cornhuskers to a victory in the NCAA Lincoln Regional this weekend. Nebraska will host Miami and Braun this weekend in Super Regional action with the winner advancing to the College World Series. The consensus All-America, whom some believed would be the top pick in the draft, is hitting .382 this season with 18 homers and 62 RBIs with 23 stolen bases in 67 games. He is a career .357 hitter at Nebraska with 43 homers, 185 RBIs and 43 steals in 184 games.

"He's a good third baseman who can hit for power and average," one Major League scout said. "He has very few flaws. I think he squats too much in his stance and occasionally chokes the bat with his top hand but those are two flaws that are easily corrected. I think he's squatting because he's seeing a lot of junkball pitchers in college. They're pitching around him more so he has to be patient at the plate. In pro ball, they're going to challenge him and he's going to be free to do more of what comes naturally.

"I think he'll definitely move fast through the Minors. He's a true third baseman that can make the plays, especially on the slow rollers. That's the sign of a legitimate third baseman. A lot of times amateur third basemen have problems with the slow rollers, whether they are dunks or slowly hit balls. He makes those plays very easily."

I think I read in the LJS that top 5 picks have an average signing bonus of 3.2 million...mind you that's his signing bonus.

2005 MLB Draft: 1st Round

PICK PLAYER

1. ARI Justin Upton SS

2. KC Alex Gordon 3B

3. SEA Jeff Clement C

4. WSH Ryan Zimmerman 3B

5. MIL Ryan Braun 3B

6. TOR Ricardo Romero LHP

7. COL Troy Tulowitzki SS

8. TB Wade Townsend RHP

9. NYM Michael Pelfrey RHP

10. DET Cameron Maybin CF