Ricky Henry gets good reviews

SwiftFan87

It seems Nebraska's hard-nosed right guard will never lose his wild side.

Nowadays, a matured Ricky Henry just has better control.

The junior lineman started his first college game with Nebraska Saturday, an anticipated milestone for a player who's spent his career crashing through defensive linemen with a nearly unmatched level of passion.

Somewhere along the way, though, Henry began to embrace the game's technical elements, blending strategy with relentlessness.

In other words, as a football player, Henry grew up. But it took the former Omaha Burke standout two years at North Dakota State College of Science and one redshirt season with the Huskers to start doing it.

“(I've been) just learning more about the game, becoming a better student of the game,” Henry said Monday as the Huskers began to prepare for Saturday's meeting with Arkansas State. “(I'm) just learning about everything, all around in general.”

That doesn't mean Henry tones it down at all.

His tenacious practice habits and genuine enthusiasm gained instant notoriety when he joined the Huskers last fall. He nearly made enough of an impression to earn playing time, even though Henry had little grasp of Nebraska's sophisticated offensive schemes.

Last year, there were practice tales of Henry bulling over Ndamukong Suh, knocking the 300-pound star tackle on his back. Henry won't admit that such things occurred, but said he enjoys battling with Suh.

According to senior Jacob Hickman, Henry headbutted former tight end Hunter Teafatiller before one game last season. Henry didn't have a helmet on. Teafatiller did. So Henry needed stitches.

There's no doubt, Henry's high-energy. And appropriately applied, his spirited approach is exactly what offensive line coach Barney Cotton wants from his players.

“He's an absolute bring-his-lunch-bucket-to-work guy every day,” Cotton said. “That just carries over into the game.”

So Cotton wasn't surprised by the positive reviews of Henry's debut Saturday night against Florida Atlantic.

Henry's technique could have been cleaner and his assignments could have been executed with better precision, but he doesn't waste energy on the field. That's what caught coach Bo Pelini's attention.

“His effort was great,” Pelini said. “He plays with a great attitude.”

That is Henry's nature. Effort comes easy.

It's the game's mental side that has typically held him back.

Last spring, when Henry didn't progress quickly enough, the NU staff moved Hickman to right guard and promoted reserve Mike Caputo to first-team center. It was a sign of dissatisfaction, considering Hickman started the entire 2008 season at center and seemed naturally suited to serve as the line's centerpiece.

If the coaches were trying to send a message, Henry got it.

“(It) showed I had to work harder — put more effort into it, start getting playbooks and start putting more time in,” he said.

That's what he did, eventually developing into a reliable option at right guard.

Hickman hasn't moved from center since the first week of fall camp. And the staff won't explore that option again unless it's desperate for depth.

For now, Henry is a first-teamer. And if he continues to evolve by increasing his knowledge, Henry should be there for a while.

Work ethic certainly will never be a weakness.

“That's the only way to play the game — go 100 miles per hour, just going around hitting people,” he said. “That's the only way to play it.”

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090907/BIGRED/709079851

I liked what I read about him being a mad man between whistles... beyond that his self control seems good. Probably will hear his name alot this year.

Actually, if he's doing his job right....you won't hear his name.

thats true, during the game we dont want to hear his name... but the papers, etc. it what I was on about.

15 pancakes... that is a great stat!