Whatever happened to......

Ross Pilkington, a team captain and Nebraska's leading receiver in 2004, said Tuesday he's not returning for his senior football season with the Huskers.

Pilkington has one year of eligibility remaining, but said he's not transferring. Pilkington, business administration major, will stay in school in Lincoln until he graduates.

"I'm just going to finish off school," he said, "and then move on with my life."

Pilkington said he's been contemplating leaving the team since midseason. When asked why he didn't want to play one more year, Pilkington said it was "a big decision" just to come back last year, after Frank Solich had been fired as head coach, and Ron Brown fired as his receivers coach.

"When I decided to come here three years ago with Frank and Coach Brown, it was just a great sense of family feeling here," Pilkington said. "After Frank was fired and the way he was fired, it was almost like losing a dad, and then with losing Coach Brown, too.

"I never got that feeling back that I had before they were gone. I think it was just time for me to step aside and let the new coaches have the new talent they want in here to run their new offense."

Pilkington met with Nebraska coach Bill Callahan on Monday and informed him of his decision. A Nebraska sports information official said Callahan was on the road Tuesday and not available for immediate comment.

"He understood," Pilkington said of his meeting with Callahan. "He was positive about the whole thing and wished me the best of luck."

Nebraska's No. 1 receiver at the "X" position, Pilkington led the Huskers with 27 receptions despite enduring a five-game stretch in which he caught no passes. Pilkington played with a sore foot and a pulled hamstring during part of that time but said his health wasn't the reason he barely saw the field in a loss at Oklahoma.

"I think they were looking for another way to spark the offense, and Isaiah did a great job when he came in," Pilkington said, referring to sophomore Isaiah Fluellen, who caught nine passes during Pilkington's five-game drought. "He had a couple of touchdowns and really played well. That was fine. I supported the decision and supported the team during that time."

Pilkington said he "caught a break" when he caught seven passes for 71 yards in Nebraska's season-ending loss to Colorado.

Pilkington said he believes Nebraska football has a bright future.

"There's been a change in tradition, a tradition that's been built up for however many years," he said. "But I think there's a new tradition in the making. I think the talent they're bringing in is going to be unbelievable. They're going to press forward and have a lot of championships in the future.

"It's just a different level of players compared to the past and a different philosophy. That's life. For those who were here in the past, it's a lot different for us."

Pilkington originally signed with Nebraska in February 2000, then opted out of his scholarship and signed a professional baseball contract with the Colorado Rockies. He played two years of minor-league baseball but struggled with an arm injury and decided to return to football. He played in 14 games as a true freshman in 2002, catching 14 passes for 301 yards.

In 2003, Pilkington and tight end Matt Herian tied for the team lead in receptions with 22. Pilkington was voted by his teammates as one of three team captains in August something that he said made his decision very tough.

"I wish nothing but the best for every one of (my teammates)," he said. "I still had that family feeling for them. I love them to death and I'm going to miss them, but at the same time I have to do what's right for me, and that's stepping aside."

Reach Brian Rosenthal at 473-7436 or brosenthal@journalstar.com.

T_O_B

Ross Pilkington, a team captain and Nebraska's leading receiver in 2004, said Tuesday he's not returning for his senior football season with the Huskers.

Pilkington has one year of eligibility remaining, but said he's not transferring. Pilkington, business administration major, will stay in school in Lincoln until he graduates.

"I'm just going to finish off school," he said, "and then move on with my life."

Pilkington said he's been contemplating leaving the team since midseason. When asked why he didn't want to play one more year, Pilkington said it was "a big decision" just to come back last year, after Frank Solich had been fired as head coach, and Ron Brown fired as his receivers coach.

"When I decided to come here three years ago with Frank and Coach Brown, it was just a great sense of family feeling here," Pilkington said. "After Frank was fired and the way he was fired, it was almost like losing a dad, and then with losing Coach Brown, too.

"I never got that feeling back that I had before they were gone. I think it was just time for me to step aside and let the new coaches have the new talent they want in here to run their new offense."

Pilkington met with Nebraska coach Bill Callahan on Monday and informed him of his decision. A Nebraska sports information official said Callahan was on the road Tuesday and not available for immediate comment.

"He understood," Pilkington said of his meeting with Callahan. "He was positive about the whole thing and wished me the best of luck."

Nebraska's No. 1 receiver at the "X" position, Pilkington led the Huskers with 27 receptions despite enduring a five-game stretch in which he caught no passes. Pilkington played with a sore foot and a pulled hamstring during part of that time but said his health wasn't the reason he barely saw the field in a loss at Oklahoma.

"I think they were looking for another way to spark the offense, and Isaiah did a great job when he came in," Pilkington said, referring to sophomore Isaiah Fluellen, who caught nine passes during Pilkington's five-game drought. "He had a couple of touchdowns and really played well. That was fine. I supported the decision and supported the team during that time."

Pilkington said he "caught a break" when he caught seven passes for 71 yards in Nebraska's season-ending loss to Colorado.

Pilkington said he believes Nebraska football has a bright future.

"There's been a change in tradition, a tradition that's been built up for however many years," he said. "But I think there's a new tradition in the making. I think the talent they're bringing in is going to be unbelievable. They're going to press forward and have a lot of championships in the future.

"It's just a different level of players compared to the past and a different philosophy. That's life. For those who were here in the past, it's a lot different for us."

Pilkington originally signed with Nebraska in February 2000, then opted out of his scholarship and signed a professional baseball contract with the Colorado Rockies. He played two years of minor-league baseball but struggled with an arm injury and decided to return to football. He played in 14 games as a true freshman in 2002, catching 14 passes for 301 yards.

In 2003, Pilkington and tight end Matt Herian tied for the team lead in receptions with 22. Pilkington was voted by his teammates as one of three team captains in August — something that he said made his decision very tough.

"I wish nothing but the best for every one of (my teammates)," he said. "I still had that family feeling for them. I love them to death and I'm going to miss them, but at the same time I have to do what's right for me, and that's stepping aside."

Reach Brian Rosenthal at 473-7436 or brosenthal@journalstar.com.

T_O_B

Thanks.

Wow. The expectations from 04 to the reality of 07.

Wow.