A Few Observations Toward Improvement

Now that it’s the morning after, my real thoughts on what can be done to salvage this season:

First, the coaching staff and players themselves need to make better decisions. If Helu knew he couldn’t hold onto the ball because of this shoulder, he should have said so. If the coaches were aware of any problem he had, they should have held him out. This is my big complaint about coaching. If a kid can’t go full throttle, rest him till he can. Also, after watching some games…it’s pretty clear to me that the personnel on this team is not built to run the WCO. It’s too complicated and leaves too many decisions in inexperienced hands. The line showed me they can actually blow people away on straight ahead running plays so build the offense around that strength.

Lee did not do that badly at QB. He put up decent numbers through the third quarter (one fluke interception) but he is not a threat to run and that zone read play is looking more and more like suicide every week. Lee would succeed in a traditional offense but if NU insists on the WCO, Green would be the better choice to lead the team as he appears to be more athletic and more of a running threat. Either change the offense or change the QB.

The OL is also built more for a power attack. Not fast but big. Frankly, they blew ISU’s DL off the line of scrimmage on every run I watched. They are serviceable and could excel on a run-orientated offense. If NU would go back to the Power I, switching one of the TE back to FB to get some size…they could eat up the yards. It might not be the prettiest or most exciting games to watch but the B12 defenses are not built to stop it. You need to build your game plan around the personnel. And no more calling out your RB when he fumbles fighting for extra yards Marcelo...that was just sad

Dump the receivers and start over. Paul and Holt…they hurt you bad. Brooks is out but Kinnie looked decent. Dig down into the depth chart till you find someone…anyone…who can catch and hang onto the ball. Forget the speed crap…why bother stretching a field when your receiver can’t catch a ball that hits him in the hands? You need a possession receiver or two who runs good routes and has reliable hands. You don’t have to recruit CA or TX to find those types of guys…there’s probably 20-30 floating around locally. Build from within.

The offense needs a leader. That is why Ganz was so successful. Maybe not the most talented guy on the field but he inspired the team with his desire to win. Suh is the best you have but he's on D and really doesn't seem like the vocal leader. Someone needs to step up to lead this team on offense.

The defense really needs no fixing. I admit this is a monster defense. The only thing I would suggest is that they hawk the ball a little harder. Need to get turnovers on a consistent basis.

Get the backs healthy and pound the rock until you can develop a receiving core. Now, go out and rout Baylor!