Bold and Intersting Article

Big 12 powers that be will serve up 13-0 Longhorns to BCS Title game

BY ANDY PURVIS | Huskers Gameday Correspondent

Take the title for what it is worth.

Honestly, I don’t know why we are bothering to play the Big 12 title game next Saturday night.

The outcome is a foregone conclusion, regardless of what sort of chance Nebraska may or may not actually have on the playing field when they face the Longhorns.

What makes me say this?

Reference an earlier article of mine, “Big 12 Office: Offensive linemen holding is ignored by Big 12 referees.”

The University of Texas with its big money, deep pocket donors runs and owns the Big 12 conference and when they don’t get their way or something doesn’t work out, like the 2008 BCS title game, they whine like a small child.

This is the sort of spoiled child behavior that we can trace all the way back to before the inception of the Big 12 conference.

When it came to policy making, establishing rules and guidelines for the conference, if the University of Texas didn’t get their way on every vote, they threatened to take their ball (all the TV viewers and dollars) and leave.

Remind me. What team needed a conference to join and who are they to dictate or make demands?

Tom Osborne was right about these people.

So, how does this relate to the outcome of the Big 12 title game?

Back to last year.

Remember how upset and angry the University of Texas and its fans were over missing the BCS title game in 2008?

Well, the Big 12 office will be all too happy to acquiesce to the Longhorns and serve up an undefeated Big 12 team to the BCS title game.

And it’s not just about getting Texas back to the BCS Title game. This is about the Big 12 wanting to keep the conferences highest profile university with the golden boy quarterback in the national spotlight.

It’s about keeping the University of Texas in the national championship picture and Colt McCoy in the Heisman race.

It’s about the money that goes into the Big 12 coffers and the prestige of having its most high-profile team competing for the national championship.

How can the Big 12 office get this accomplished within the normal constraints of a supposedly fair football game?

Well, back to my earlier article.

You think the holding that you have witnessed Big 12 referees ignore for many years in offensive lines like Texas is something?

You haven’t seen nothing yet.

With the University of Texas having a shot at the BCS title game being led by a quarterback in the midst of a tight Heisman Trophy race.

Just watch.

The Texas offensive line will be able to wrangle, strangle, and go WWE on the Nebraska defensive line all night long without penalty.

Oh, and if a Nebraska defender does happen to make contact with Golden Boy, out will come a personal foul flag.

Golden Boy McCoy and his Heisman race will be protected by the Big 12 office and its team of officials. They won’t let a big, bad Cornhusker defensive line get in the way of McCoy, his Heisman, or the University of Texas getting to the BCS Title game.

What was a one step rule after the quarterback throws the ball, will suddenly be enforced to the degree that the Nebraska defense can hardly touch McCoy without drawing a personal foul flag for roughing the passer.

Those type of penalties are so big because they extend drives with 15 yards and a first down. They are usually back breakers. There will be a time or two, or more, when McCoy is hit in what looks like a legal manner or barely touched, and out will come a flag.

I have seen it numerous times this year and Nebraska wasn’t playing an undefeated team and Heisman candidate quarterback.

It will happen. Count on it, and don’t count on a Nebraska victory.

^^^I think it is very pessimistic, but it does raise some serious questions. I guarantee there will be at least 2 unwarranted flags thrown on late hits on McCoy. And our DLINE has been held all year, and I don't see that getting any better on Saturday.

I still think if we can put together a game plan like we had against VTECH this year and TECH last year that we have a shot. Obviously we would need to finish unlike we did in those two games. We are due for a big upset like this one could be.

Hypocrisy is pervasive in this article. The article, itself, takes a whining, "it's not fair," attitude. I'm a Longhorn fan and can honestly say that most Longhorn fans greatly respect Nebraska and their fans. Your fans have the most class in the conference - noone else is even close. That being said, this article does not represent what my experience has been with regard to Nebraska fans.

Holding is allowed to some degree in the conference from what I've seen and TEXAS is not the protected team in the conference. If they were, they would have called the numerous calls in the TT - TEXAS game last year; one of which injured Orakpo (considered one of the top defensive players in CF) and he didn't play the 2nd half of the the game. If TEXAS was protected, they would have made the calls, I would have spent a lot less time screaming at the TV and TEXAS would have played for the NC. As for Mack's lobbying, whining, or whatever you want to call it at the end of last year, I ask everyone to honestly ask themselves if they would have done the same thing for their team. It is the obligation of the coach to try and get his team in the NC if he has the chance. Our coach lobbied for it; ou ran up the scores in games at the end of the year by leaving their starters in even when other teams had removed theirs. We each took a path, it just so happens that stoops' strategy swayed the BCS voters more.

I expect that Nebraska will give us a good game and it would hurt bad to lose. But, if this unfortunate event were to occur, then Nebraska would be the one team in the conference that I'd give props to. Have a great game, but not too good.

~v~

Honestly, I don’t know why we are bothering to play the Big 12 title game next Saturday night.

The outcome is a foregone conclusion, regardless of what sort of chance Nebraska may or may not actually have on the playing field when they face the Longhorns.

What makes me say this?

Reference an earlier article of mine, “Big 12 Office: Offensive linemen holding is ignored by Big 12 referees.”

The University of Texas with its big money, deep pocket donors runs and owns the Big 12 conference and when they don’t get their way or something doesn’t work out, like the 2008 BCS title game, they whine like a small child.

This is the sort of spoiled child behavior that we can trace all the way back to before the inception of the Big 12 conference.

When it came to policy making, establishing rules and guidelines for the conference, if the University of Texas didn’t get their way on every vote, they threatened to take their ball (all the TV viewers and dollars) and leave.

Remind me. What team needed a conference to join and who are they to dictate or make demands?

Back to last year.

Remember how upset and angry the University of Texas and its fans were over missing the BCS title game in 2008?

Well, the Big 12 office will be all too happy to acquiesce to the Longhorns and serve up an undefeated Big 12 team to the BCS title game.

And it’s not just about getting Texas back to the BCS Title game. This is about the Big 12 wanting to keep the conferences highest profile university with the golden boy quarterback in the national spotlight.

It’s about keeping the University of Texas in the national championship picture and Colt McCoy in the Heisman race.

It’s about the money that goes into the Big 12 coffers and the prestige of having its most high-profile team competing for the national championship.

How can the Big 12 office get this accomplished within the normal constraints of a supposedly fair football game?

You think the holding that you have witnessed Big 12 referees ignore for many years in offensive lines like Texas is something?

With the University of Texas having a shot at the BCS title game being led by a quarterback in the midst of a tight Heisman Trophy race.

Just watch.

The Texas offensive line will be able to wrangle, strangle, and go WWE on the Nebraska defensive line all night long without penalty.

Oh, and if a Nebraska defender does happen to make contact with Golden Boy, out will come a personal foul flag.

Golden Boy McCoy and his Heisman race will be protected by the Big 12 office and its team of officials. They won’t let a big, bad Cornhusker defensive line get in the way of McCoy, his Heisman, or the University of Texas getting to the BCS Title game.

What was a one step rule after the quarterback throws the ball, will suddenly be enforced to the degree that the Nebraska defense can hardly touch McCoy without drawing a personal foul flag for roughing the passer.

Those type of penalties are so big because they extend drives with 15 yards and a first down. They are usually back breakers. There will be a time or two, or more, when McCoy is hit in what looks like a legal manner or barely touched, and out will come a flag.

I have seen it numerous times this year and Nebraska wasn’t playing an undefeated team and Heisman candidate quarterback.

^^^I think it is very pessimistic, but it does raise some serious questions. I guarantee there will be at least 2 unwarranted flags thrown on late hits on McCoy. And our DLINE has been held all year, and I don't see that getting any better on Saturday.

I still think if we can put together a game plan like we had against VTECH this year and TECH last year that we have a shot. Obviously we would need to finish unlike we did in those two games. We are due for a big upset like this one could be.

Hypocrisy is pervasive in this article. The article, itself, takes a whining, "it's not fair," attitude. I'm a Longhorn fan and can honestly say that most Longhorn fans greatly respect Nebraska and their fans. Your fans have the most class in the conference - noone else is even close. That being said, this article does not represent what my experience has been with regard to Nebraska fans.

Holding is allowed to some degree in the conference from what I've seen and TEXAS is not the protected team in the conference. If they were, they would have called the numerous calls in the TT - TEXAS game last year; one of which injured Orakpo (considered one of the top defensive players in CF) and he didn't play the 2nd half of the the game. If TEXAS was protected, they would have made the calls, I would have spent a lot less time screaming at the TV and TEXAS would have played for the NC. As for Mack's lobbying, whining, or whatever you want to call it at the end of last year, I ask everyone to honestly ask themselves if they would have done the same thing for their team. It is the obligation of the coach to try and get his team in the NC if he has the chance. Our coach lobbied for it; ou ran up the scores in games at the end of the year by leaving their starters in even when other teams had removed theirs. We each took a path, it just so happens that stoops' strategy swayed the BCS voters more.

I expect that Nebraska will give us a good game and it would hurt bad to lose. But, if this unfortunate event were to occur, then Nebraska would be the one team in the conference that I'd give props to. Have a great game, but not too good.

~v~

Actually, I think it was more than just in our conference..

Offensive Holding has seemed to be less frowned on nationwide..Seems like ever since they changed the rules about how far an offensive lineman could extend his arms..They seem to think more scoring makes the games more watchable..Maybe to the general public, they're right.

Also, I think the article was trying to imply that Texas may not have been protected enough last year and "they" (Big12) are trying to make up fer it this year.

A little far fetched, but with some of those J.R. Ewing types probably trying their darndest to control the head office..who knows?

Last year, I felt OU had the best chance to beat the Crocks.

This year, I'm leaning toward 'bamer or TCU.

(I could be wrong both times).

Here's hoping both of our teams play our best games of the season (so far) tomorrow.. :cheers

And then all our Conference Brothers represent well in the Bowls

I would think a reasonable thing to do would have been to wait for the game to actually be played, and then round up some proof for your article...

Yeah I thought he made some good points but I would have never written posted that article before the came took place.

I definitely would have written it before.

Bitching about it after the game does no good..(See OU/Oregon a couple? years back where Pac-10 officials admitted they made a mistake on the onside kick but couldn't "uncount?" the game ...or Texass not making the MNC or B12CC games last year due to wierd tie breaker rules).

Consider this a pre-emptive strike to let the conference know (Or maybe even up to the NCAA if they are ultimately pulling the strings) we'll be watching them closely (sorta like the ref's will be watching Asante a lot closer after those last two flags he got for late hits).

Might make the difference in stopping one or two drives and in a close game that could be huge.

It's almost similar to when you call a trick play and you let the ref know what you plan to do so he doesn't blow an inadvertant whistle before the play is over.

Waiting 'til after the play is blown dead does no good.

The NCAA has very little power to do anything anymore. If colleges don't self report infractions, the NCAA hasn't any investigative wing to uncover such misdeeds.

Once the BCS was created, the conference heads control most of the power in college football. Sure, they'll throw the NCAA a bone every once in a while to make the appearance to the general public like they are running the show, but make no mistake, the major conferences hold all the power. They say who can and cannot play in the sandbox, and everyone else will eat their peas and like it.

What makes me say this?

Back to last year.

Just watch.

~v~

Actually, I think it was more than just in our conference..

Offensive Holding has seemed to be less frowned on nationwide..Seems like ever since they changed the rules about how far an offensive lineman could extend his arms..They seem to think more scoring makes the games more watchable..Maybe to the general public, they're right.

Also, I think the article was trying to imply that Texas may not have been protected enough last year and "they" (Big12) are trying to make up fer it this year.

A little far fetched, but with some of those J.R. Ewing types probably trying their darndest to control the head office..who knows?

Last year, I felt OU had the best chance to beat the Crocks.

This year, I'm leaning toward 'bamer or TCU.

(I could be wrong both times).

Here's hoping both of our teams play our best games of the season (so far) tomorrow.. :cheers

And then all our Conference Brothers represent well in the Bowls

I would think a reasonable thing to do would have been to wait for the game to actually be played, and then round up some proof for your article...

Yeah I thought he made some good points but I would have never written posted that article before the came took place.

I definitely would have written it before.

Bitching about it after the game does no good..(See OU/Oregon a couple? years back where Pac-10 officials admitted they made a mistake on the onside kick but couldn't "uncount?" the game ...or Texass not making the MNC or B12CC games last year due to wierd tie breaker rules).

Consider this a pre-emptive strike to let the conference know (Or maybe even up to the NCAA if they are ultimately pulling the strings) we'll be watching them closely (sorta like the ref's will be watching Asante a lot closer after those last two flags he got for late hits).

Might make the difference in stopping one or two drives and in a close game that could be huge.

It's almost similar to when you call a trick play and you let the ref know what you plan to do so he doesn't blow an inadvertant whistle before the play is over.

Waiting 'til after the play is blown dead does no good.

The NCAA has very little power to do anything anymore. If colleges don't self report infractions, the NCAA hasn't any investigative wing to uncover such misdeeds.

Once the BCS was created, the conference heads control most of the power in college football. Sure, they'll throw the NCAA a bone every once in a while to make the appearance to the general public like they are running the show, but make no mistake, the major conferences hold all the power. They say who can and cannot play in the sandbox, and everyone else will eat their peas and like it.

It'd be interesting to listen in on the NCAA or even the individual conference Official's conventions? to see where and how the trend it being directed.

It's pretty much agreed that you could call a hold on every play..but the rules changes seem to indicate a desire to have more scoring. And it would really suck to have more penalties than they already call.

I also find it amazing the difference in our conference from just last year..Being an "All Offense All the time" to a mostly Defensive image.

I doubt it was intentional..By anyone other than the DCs :dunno