What is the solution for NU when it comes to Center?

It is becoming apparent that although NU has added a ton of height since last season, we do not seem to be attacking with our biggest players. For example, here are stats for our three tallest players:

Brian Diaz ©: 9.7 points per game, 3.8 rebounds per game, 1.3 blocks per game, 21.8 minutes per game

Brandon Ubel (F): 6.8 ppg, 2.8 rpg, .7 bpg, 21.2 mpg

Quincy Hankins-Cole (F): 3.2 ppg, 3.3 rpg, .2 bpg, 11.0 mpg

Now, given Cole's stats might be thrown off since he is getting half the time per game of the other two. But it is becoming painstakingly obvious that our big men are still growing into their role. They will get there, I hope, but it is a process, and will take time. I'd love to see more aggressiveness, with much higher rebounding and block numbers. 4 rebounds a game from a near 7 footer in Diaz who is getting that much time are not enough.

This begs the question... how much better would this team be if the 6-11 Christopher Niemann had not blown out his ACL again? Does anyone know what kind of skillset Niemann brings to the table? I have no clue on the guy, but I am not as informed as some of you.

Hopefully Niemann gets a medical redshirt and can finally come back and play for us next year. Or perhaps the answer will come from outside the team. Doc has two current recruits for this years recruiting class, Kenyon McNeill and Andre Almeida. Obviously, Kenyon is a guard, but you have to love what doc has done recruiting the Southeast. He pulled Adrian Coleman out of Georgia from seemingly nowhere last year. Almeida may be a key cog in our plans for the future. He is all of 6'10" and 320 lbs. He is a true, thick post player. His 2008 JUCO stats were very nice... 13.7 ppg, 8 rpg, 3.5 bpg, and a whopping 70.5 field goal percentage. He could be a player. Also, do not forget Vander Joaquim. He did not make it with our last class, but is currently enrolled at the College of Eastern Utah, and still hopes to make it here. He is very highly thought of. That is another bonus with Doc's recruiting. Since hiring Walter Roese, we have been making nice inroads with Brazilian players (Vander and Andre).

On the side note, Roburt Sallie, who was committed to NU, is now the second leading scorer for the Memphis Tigers. I REALLY wish we wouldn't have botched his enrollment at NU. We could have used him pretty well.

It is becoming apparent that although NU has added a ton of height since last season, we do not seem to be attacking with our biggest players. For example, here are stats for our three tallest players:

Brian Diaz ©: 9.7 points per game, 3.8 rebounds per game, 1.3 blocks per game, 21.8 minutes per game

Brandon Ubel (F): 6.8 ppg, 2.8 rpg, .7 bpg, 21.2 mpg

Quincy Hankins-Cole (F): 3.2 ppg, 3.3 rpg, .2 bpg, 11.0 mpg

Now, given Cole's stats might be thrown off since he is getting half the time per game of the other two. But it is becoming painstakingly obvious that our big men are still growing into their role. They will get there, I hope, but it is a process, and will take time. I'd love to see more aggressiveness, with much higher rebounding and block numbers. 4 rebounds a game from a near 7 footer in Diaz who is getting that much time are not enough.

This begs the question... how much better would this team be if the 6-11 Christopher Niemann had not blown out his ACL again? Does anyone know what kind of skillset Niemann brings to the table? I have no clue on the guy, but I am not as informed as some of you.

Hopefully Niemann gets a medical redshirt and can finally come back and play for us next year. Or perhaps the answer will come from outside the team. Doc has two current recruits for this years recruiting class, Kenyon McNeill and Andre Almeida. Obviously, Kenyon is a guard, but you have to love what doc has done recruiting the Southeast. He pulled Adrian Coleman out of Georgia from seemingly nowhere last year. Almeida may be a key cog in our plans for the future. He is all of 6'10" and 320 lbs. He is a true, thick post player. His 2008 JUCO stats were very nice... 13.7 ppg, 8 rpg, 3.5 bpg, and a whopping 70.5 field goal percentage. He could be a player. Also, do not forget Vander Joaquim. He did not make it with our last class, but is currently enrolled at the College of Eastern Utah, and still hopes to make it here. He is very highly thought of. That is another bonus with Doc's recruiting. Since hiring Walter Roese, we have been making nice inroads with Brazilian players (Vander and Andre).

On the side note, Roburt Sallie, who was committed to NU, is now the second leading scorer for the Memphis Tigers. I REALLY wish we wouldn't have botched his enrollment at NU. We could have used him pretty well.

Your right of course....Niemann was to be the post. Diaz and Ubel shooting forwards, HankCole PF.

So it will take another year for all the pieces to arrive and be installed with depth.

Liking the team so far. The shooting % is up, rebounding Up, steals, blocks, turnovers all respectable. Hankins C is taking some charges that Velander got for us....all good signs that the system is getting inside the players.

CS in January adds even more.....the kids are going to open next season in the San Juan shootout, which will be a hugely positive thing for that turnament. Folks will come in droves, JBD will be a team hero if the kids get a day and night on the town, PR senoritas memorable experiences.

CS and Niemann open Germany to Husker recruiting and lets hope Doc can exploit the opening, like the international flavor in recruiting. If the big names dont see NU as a school of choice, so what...move the game overseas and begin to create pipelines....what is not to like about that.

When the Brazillian gets here we'll have depth, and all position sizes and skill sets present, ready to compete with a typical lineup which NU has lacked for many years..

Lots of things to smile about when it comes to this team and the future.

• 3 weeks later...