Michigan vs Washington St 1998 Rose Bowl

Granted there was no instant replay back then, but if the same rules were in effect then we would likely have an outright National Championship in 1997.

I tried to find a clip of this on Youtube but could not find one. I remember Washington St. trailing by less than 7 near the redzone and the officials let 15 seconds or so tick off of the clock and end the game. I believe Washington St. would have had 2 more downs to try to get into the end zone, but the officials were content letting a ton of time just tick off of the clock after a pass play was dead. Correct me if I am wrong. That was a long time ago, so I may be mistaken, but that is the way that I remember it. Had they given them that time back we would have likely been concensus National Champs.

That being said. During that game the refs were VERY liberal with the clock at the end of the game. That is in sharp contrast to our game tonight were the Refs were very quick and willing to put ONE second back on the clock to give the Long Horns another chance.

I have seen so many games over the course of my life where the refs let a game end when there should have clearly been a few seconds left. It has always been a part of football. If you know the clock might run out, you don't take those chances. You have to try for a field goal or take a shot at the end zone. If you want to gamble with little time left on the clock then you have to be prepared for the worst.

This is why I think Bo and Carl were so upset. That clock hit zero and that has always been the end of the game. But officials made an exeption for Texas tonight.

I agree that we should have never let it come down to this. We had plenty of opportunities to put this game away and we didn't, but it is very concerning that the refs made that call at the end of the game, after they had already called a very one sided game. We need to leave the Big 12. I am sick of this $hit.