Tour De Camp Practice reports

I am hearing sounds of a Bob Marley song in the distance.....

Cue the bongos. :smokin

"One Love, One Heart

Let's get together and feel all right

Hear the children crying (One Love)

Hear the children crying (One Heart)

Sayin' give thanks and praise to the Lord and I will feel all right

Sayin' let's get together and feel all right

Let them all pass all their dirty remarks (One Love)

There is one question I'd really like to ask (One Heart)

Is there a place for the hopeless sinner

Who has hurt all mankind just to save his own?

Believe me"

Yeah, thats the one. ;)

PZCBSQWHTNKPIDQ.20041111005945.jpg

Huskers Enter Phase Two of Fall Camp

Courtesy: NU Sports Information

Release: 08/11/2005

LINCOLN – The Husker football team returned from an off day Thursday with a two and one-half hour practice on the grass fields outside Memorial Stadium. While the day began with cool temperatures, conditions quickly turned hot and muggy following a series of light rain showers.

Head Coach Bill Callahan said that he likes the attitude that his team has exhibited as it enters what he calls the "second phase" of training camp.

"Every day we try to come out here and get better," Callahan said. "We try to maximize what we are getting done on the practice field. The guys are caught up mentally, it’s just the physical repetitions that we are trying to refine right now. I like our attitude and our demeanor, but I think we can always get better. That’s part of training camp. You try to get to those different levels and phases. Right now we are into the second phase of training camp. We just came back from a break (Wednesday). Today, tomorrow and the two practices on Saturday, we are trying to take another step."

Thursday’s schedule meant that it was time for another pair of highly-touted freshmen, quarterback Harrison Beck and linebacker Phillip Dillard, to speak to the media for the first time. Callahan said he was pleased with what he has seen from the two Huskers so far.

"I think (Beck) has done fantastic," Callahan said. "He has come in here prepared. He studied quite a bit during the offense, not only here but back home in Florida. He came here with a very good knowledge of the offense. I’m really proud of his efforts to come in here and execute, be calm and poise, and not be rattled in the huddle. I think he has earned his teammates respect in that regard. It’s really impressive for a young quarterback to come in and do that at his age.

"(Dillard) has made tremendous progress learning the defensive system, but additionally he is a special teams player. He is a collision player. That is the thing that we really liked about Phillip is ability to add a physical presence to our defense, and in the running game especially. When we get into inside drills, the nine-on-sevens, we call him the "Iceman," because he will come down and blow up the isolation blocker and make an impact. It is stunning to everyone who is watching."

Callahan also addressed the injury status of several Huskers following practice. He confirmed that freshman wide receiver Chris Brooks is expected to miss at least 3-4 weeks after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his knee, while redshirt freshman wide receiver Nate Swift freshman defensive back Jeff Souder also missed drills on Thursday after sustaining injuries.

NU will continue fall camp Friday beginning at 3 p.m. Defensive Coordinator Kevin Cosgrove and requested players will be available to speak with the media following exercises

Link

Injuries becoming nuisance

Nebraska completed its eighth day of preseason drills Thursday, and injuries are beginning to become something of a nuisance.

Redshirt freshman wide receiver Nate Swift sat out Thursday because of a shoulder injury sustained Tuesday, further depleting a position that’s been hit hard during the preseason. Freshman Chris Books is sidelined three to four weeks with a knee injury, and junior college transfer Tyrell Spain awaits word from the NCAA on his academic eligibility.

“That’s the nature of training camp,” Husker head coach Bill Callahan said. “When you have a couple guys go down, and you’re running two-, three- and four-receiver sets, it’s a little bit of a scramble to juggle guys in and out of the lineup and work multiple roles. But that’s a part of the game. It really taxes them, but they’ve done a great job.”

Nebraska returns four wideouts who played extensively last season — Isaiah Fluellen, Mark LeFlore, Grant Mulkey and Terrence Nunn. Brooks and Spain, meanwhile, were impressive during informal summer workouts.

In addition to Swift’s injury, sophomore middle linebacker Lance Brandenburgh, vying for a starting role, left practice early with an undisclosed injury. “It wasn’t anything serious,” Callahan said.

Freshman defensive back Jeff Souder sat out with a groin injury.

QB RACE: It’s clear Zac Taylor leads the race to become starting quarterback, but it’s hard to determine the size of his lead. Asked Thursday to characterize the gap between Taylor and the rest of the quarterbacks, Callahan said, “It’s too early. I wouldn’t even characterize it yet. I’m just letting them play. We’re just evaluating different scenarios and situations. Part of our objective during this training camp is to close the gap between our older players and our younger players at every position.”

NOT PLEASED: Taylor, who surged ahead of the QB pack during the spring, said he “was just messing up too much” during Thursday’s practice. He wasn’t specific, other than to say he dropped too many snaps. “I think today was a pretty disappointing day on my part,” he said. “That’s something I’ve got to pick up as a quarterback. I expect that (today) I’ll come out, be on top of things and get back to smooth again.” Taylor’s father, Sherwood Taylor, attended the workout.

OVERALL ASSESSMENT: Callahan said his team, winding down week two of camp, is on schedule mentally. “It’s just the physical repetition we’re trying to refine right now,” he said. Asked if he was pleased overall, Callahan said, “I wouldn’t say that. (But) I like our attitude and our demeanor. I think we can always get better. That’s a part of training camp.”

Journal Blog

Carriker, Blackshirts try new ways to pressure QBs

BY BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star

You wonder, as Adam Carriker describes his duties as Nebraska's base defensive end, if this newly-defined position requires a large, red cape.

Carriker rattles on about facing double teams and lining up on top of offensive tackles and playing on the tight end side of the formation and being responsible for the huge gap between himself and the nose tackle and ...

Geez, could Superman handle all of this … and help increase his team's sack total, too?

"Let's just say," Carriker said, "that the (other) end has a lot more advantage to get those (sacks)."

Sounds like the junior from Kennewick, Wash., may be doing a lot of dirty work this season, and perhaps without the gaudy statistics.

"That's fine with me," said Carriker, who has four career sacks. "I came here to get a Blackshirt, a degree and a ring. I've already got one, I'm going to get another, and I want to get the third, and that's the ring. I'll do whatever it takes."

To the football layman, Carriker's role as the base end may sound a bit mind-boggling. In essence, he's in charge of one entire side of the line, usually the side where the tight end is aligned. His closest linemate is nose tackle Le Kevin Smith, who lines up over center.

For Carriker, that's a big chore, even if you are 6-foot-6 and 280 pounds.

"You're right on top of the tackle, so it includes a lot more technique," Carriker said. "It's a lot more physical, because you're double-teamed and you're hitting a lot sooner.

"It's very important, because there's a huge gap between you and that nose guard, and you have to control that gap. And that's where a lot of teams are going to try to run, is to that huge gap. It's basically the base end's job to control. In the run, it's really important for that base end."

As for the other defensive end — aka the open end? That player lines up a yard or two outside the other tackle.

"He's basically just running off the ball and reacting," Carriker said. "In the pass, they're really depending on that open end, because it's really difficult for the base end to get to the quarterback. They're really dependent on (the open end) to get pressure."

It's all part of a new scheme Nebraska coaches introduced during spring practice. No longer are the defensive ends defined as right and left. The idea is to produce more of a push from the front four linemen, without having to always rely on five-man and six-man pressure to harass quarterbacks.

Last year, Nebraska collected 25 sacks. That, Carriker said, is not satisfactory.

"I mean, didn't we, one year, have 54 or something?" he said.

Close. The Huskers sacked the quarterback a school-record 53 times in 1999. Last season's total tied for the second-fewest since 1981, when sacks became a part of the record book.

Look at it this way. In 2004, Nebraska averaged a sack once every 18 times the opponent attempted a pass. As for the other 17 attempts? Well, they usually resulted in bad things for the Huskers.

The 254 completions, the 56.7 percent completion percentage and average of 267.8 passing yards per game were all Nebraska opponent season records.

"Coverage is only as good as pressure, and pressure is only as good as coverage. They both work hand-in-hand," Nebraska defensive line coach John Blake said during spring practice. "What I've got to do is make sure our guys are capable of doing the job they're doing. I want these guys to maximize their abilities."

Carriker, because of his size and strength — he was the team's 2004 lifter of the year — is a prototypical base end. His job is to play the run first and react to the pass — unless, of course, there's a rush call, in which case everyone rushes the quarterback.

The open end player is more of a pass rusher — someone who possesses the speed and athleticism to come off the edge. Jay Moore and Wali Muhammad are battling for that starting spot, although Muhammad was listed as a backup to Carriker on the pre-spring depth chart — the most recent depth chart coaches have publicly released.

At base end, Kevin Luhrs (6-1, 255) was among the backups to Carriker but has been hampered by a broken hand. Carriker said redshirted freshman Ty Steinkuhler (6-3, 260) and true freshman Ndamukong Suh (6-4, 300) are also working at base end. Suh is listed on the roster as a defensive tackle.

"It's probably easier for the open end, because he's got all that space to work with," Carriker said. "He's just got to beat the tackle one-on-one — not that that's easy — but he has to beat the tackle one-on-one."

Carriker, who's fully recovered from ankle problems that have slowed him, said players are adjusting well to the new concept.

"Basically," Carriker said, "our goals are to come off the ball, to play hard, play technique, do our assignments."

Reach Brian Rosenthal at 473-7436 or brosenthal@journalstar.com.

Link

WOWT Thursday practice video

KOLN/KGIN Thursday practice video

*All video on right hand side

AP-NE--Nebraska Trainer

Callahan says Huskers entering phase two of fall camp

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) -- The University of Nebraska football head coach Bill Callahan says the team has entered the second phase of fall practice during today's drills.

He says the players have caught up mentally with the practice regime so now the physical training can begin.

Callahan said he was pleased with what he had seen so far from two freshmen, quarterback Harrison Beck and linebacker Phillip Dillard.

He says Beck has studied up on the offense and has earned his teammates' respect for his calm in the huddle.

Callahan says Dillard has made much progress learning the defensive system and has earned the nickname the "Iceman" for his ability to blow through blockers.

Callahan said he expects freshman wide receiver Chris Brooks to miss at least three-to-four weeks after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his knee.

Injuries also meant freshmen Nate Swift and Jeff Souder missed today's drills.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

From the Carriker article is sounds like we are going to a 3 man line....is that true? That could give us a chance to play some more talent at linebacker, but I am not sure about the big holes on the line now. <_<

Sounds like my ideas of Dilliard are turning out to be true, he is a beast! IMO, before his career is over at NU, he will have been a better linebacker than Barrett Ruud. I am sure if he can obtain the number of tackles Ruud had(Ruud was almost a 1 man show that got the action every play), but I thing Dilliard will make a bigger impact. :box

Friday practice update

Just a few quick notes from Friday’s practice, and then I’ve got to get back to work ….

* Corey McKeon has been surprising in fall camp and appears to have a slight edge in the race for the middle linebacker spot. I emphasize “slight.”

“Right now … again, nobody has ‘the’ edge, but he’s performing the best right now at that position,” defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove said.

Added starting SAM linebacker Stewart Bradley, “Corey’s really stepped it up as far as getting the respect of the guys and being a consistent factor in there – someone you can count on. A lot of it with the MIKE position is just knowing what you’re doing, and he’s done a good job knowing the system.”

* Sounds like true freshman Barry Turner will probably play. He’s a quick defensive end (open end) with speed off the edge.

* Lance Brandenburgh, Tierre Green, Jeff Souder and Nathan Swift missed practice Friday with injuries, all which appear to be minor.

* Joey Ganz is, for now, NU’s solid No. 2 quarterback. That’s not too surprising, given Ganz left spring practice as the No. 2 guy, and we’re just a little over a week into fall camp. Stay tuned on this one.

Link