Heisman standards

Just getting ready to watch the trophy presentation and had a thought about what people think should be the standards of production that a Heisman winner should have?

Me, I have a QB throwing for 3500, 35+ TD passes, 60+ completion percentage.

A Running Back having over 2000 total yards or 20 TD's, as a secondary level a RB with 1500 yards rushing and 20 TD's.

WR having 75+ receptions (though if they have that they have to have a near 20 yard reception average), 1500+ yards receiving, plus add a few electric plays on special teams.

I'll let the the defensive stats become more of a discussion, but for a DT I think you'd probably need somewhere along the lines of Suh's season, A DE probably needs up to 20 or more sacs, a DB needs 10-15 interceptions with probably 3+ return touchdowns from those interceptions along with some electric plays in the return game.

I'll admit it's harder to really give a bottom line stat value for a defensive candidate than an offensive candidate.

But the universal requirement is that every candidate needs to show up and at least provide a steady presence in all of their big games. No throwing an egg in your conference championship or your major rival games. Also no exceptionally bad performances in games against top teams.

What do you all think?

Just a few short years ago, people said an underclassmen would/should never win the Heisman then Tebow won it. Why can't a true defensive player win it?

For Suh it's more than his stats. It's his ability to play that position like no one has played it in decades. It's the pass break-ups, the int's, the pick-sixes, his ability to run a RB/QB from 10-15 yards away. It's his demand for double and triple teams while still making plays, it's his ability to sniff out screens, to drop back and bat down passes. When was the last time America, college football or even the NFL has seen a player with his ability?

If Suh's stats were only good enough to garner 4th I can't imagine what it would take for a DT to win

The problem with the way the current Heisman voting is that if you are a player that has a chance to touch the ball every play you can win.

If you are a player that can stop another player that has a chance to touch the ball every play and totally F up their offense, ask Corso would say, "Forget about it".

Now it would of been nice for Suh to win it, but considering that he won several awards this year and is going to be a very well paid man next year, he's probably not complaining.

If Suh's stats were only good enough to garner 4th I can't imagine what it would take for a DT to win

The problem with the way the current Heisman voting is that if you are a player that has a chance to touch the ball every play you can win.

If you are a player that can stop another player that has a chance to touch the ball every play and totally F up their offense, ask Corso would say, "Forget about it".

Now it would of been nice for Suh to win it, but considering that he won several awards this year and is going to be a very well paid man next year, he's probably not complaining.

+1