Run based offense

Travis9

I keep hearing on here and other places that we are going to a run based offense and that Lee should leave because it fits Cody Green better.

1. Run based doesn't mean spread style or QB run (option). It very easily could mean I formation, tight sets with the passing game being play action based in the majority.

2. Run based fits Green, sure if it is spread. If it is option then it fits LW best and if it is I formation tight sets play action it fits Lee better than anyone.

Zac Lee is going to start next year, and he will be improved.

Will our offense be better, who knows, because there is a plethora of problems on our offense.

1. Our WR corp is not very good. combine bad routes with the dropsies and you have problems

2. Our RB were hurt all year. If they get hurt again next year we have the same issues as we are only solidly 2 deep.

3. Our O-Line is atrocious to put it mildly. Our most physical lineman (henry) excels in man blocking only and struggles with the rest. Our most heralded lineman (Hickman) really isn't very good at all. Mike Smith struggles in pass pro and run blocking. our RT was a revolving door of mediocre play, and LG was filled by a year long injured player. We have depth that is young but at this point our line is abysmal.

4. WR coaching and philosophy. I realize we want to BLOCK but damn, we have speed and talent somewhere there we just don't play them because they cant block. We didn't redshirt Bell, WHY? Niles Paul surely can't be our best and if he is then that falls on the coach as well because if he is our best we aren't recruiting any talent.

5. QB was bad no matter who played. I really think both get an unfair shake. Cody Green when he was in was not able to succeed at what he does best because of Problem 3 above along with #2. Zac Lee was not able to succeed because of problems 1-4. It is hard to be productive at QB, no matter what offense you run when your line is bad, your WR dont run good routes, sit in the zone, or catch the ball. Play action is out the window when your top 2 backs are out. and Defenses won't respect the run at all when the top 2 backs are out and they won't respect the pass when the can get to the Qb rushing 4 or when they know a simple blitz will confuse the line as well as the defense knowing that if the pass gets off they have a 50/50 chance of the WR dropping the pass.

Our offense as a whole was bad.

It depends on what type of offense we go to in determining what QB best fits it. the Alabama style is one i see a lot and if that is the case then Zac Lee is by far the best choice. but all of these offenses have things we don't

Stanford - a durable 40 carry a game RB with an O-Line that run blocks extremely well (WE DONT QUALIFY)

Alabama - a game breaking corp of RB, and a superstar WR surrounded by other playmaking WR and an O-Line that is exceptional. (AGAIN WE DONT QUALIFY)

Florida - a great leader, a great line, great WR, and a QB that can run anywhere on the field. (NON QUALIFIER)

pick an offense, it doesn't really matter. until our line improves dramatically and we get playmakers on the outside it won't matter what offense we run or what player runs it.

I think help is on the way, especially on our O Line. We should have Qvale healthy and able to play next year, and if he doesn't start he'll provide depth. We'll have more time to pass and better run blocking, I'm sure.

I lifted this from another thread, but this is what our line could look like next year, and if healthy, it should be MUCH improved:

LT-Hardwick

LG-Williams/Qvale

C-Caputo

RG-Henry/Qvale

RT-Marcel Jones

This looks about right to me. I'd be happy with this line, if healthy. It can't help but be better than this year, and with a better line, ALL phases of the offense stand to be better.

However, no matter how good the line plays, it won't help our WRs catch the ball. Those dropsies have got to stop. I would like to see Gilmore and Watson (assuming they're staying) go down to Texas Tech and have Leach teach them how he gets his WRs to snare the ball. I remember something about a tennis ball cannon and running in a sand pit. Those two circus catches in the first drive of our game this year set the tone, and set the Defense on their heels like no other game this year. We get anything remotely like that kind of determination from our WRs in the next year or two and it'll make this offense 5x better immediately.

I keep hearing on here and other places that we are going to a run based offense and that Lee should leave because it fits Cody Green better.

1. Run based doesn't mean spread style or QB run (option). It very easily could mean I formation, tight sets with the passing game being play action based in the majority.

2. Run based fits Green, sure if it is spread. If it is option then it fits LW best and if it is I formation tight sets play action it fits Lee better than anyone.

Zac Lee is going to start next year, and he will be improved.

Will our offense be better, who knows, because there is a plethora of problems on our offense.

1. Our WR corp is not very good. combine bad routes with the dropsies and you have problems

2. Our RB were hurt all year. If they get hurt again next year we have the same issues as we are only solidly 2 deep.

3. Our O-Line is atrocious to put it mildly. Our most physical lineman (henry) excels in man blocking only and struggles with the rest. Our most heralded lineman (Hickman) really isn't very good at all. Mike Smith struggles in pass pro and run blocking. our RT was a revolving door of mediocre play, and LG was filled by a year long injured player. We have depth that is young but at this point our line is abysmal.

4. WR coaching and philosophy. I realize we want to BLOCK but damn, we have speed and talent somewhere there we just don't play them because they cant block. We didn't redshirt Bell, WHY? Niles Paul surely can't be our best and if he is then that falls on the coach as well because if he is our best we aren't recruiting any talent.

5. QB was bad no matter who played. I really think both get an unfair shake. Cody Green when he was in was not able to succeed at what he does best because of Problem 3 above along with #2. Zac Lee was not able to succeed because of problems 1-4. It is hard to be productive at QB, no matter what offense you run when your line is bad, your WR dont run good routes, sit in the zone, or catch the ball. Play action is out the window when your top 2 backs are out. and Defenses won't respect the run at all when the top 2 backs are out and they won't respect the pass when the can get to the Qb rushing 4 or when they know a simple blitz will confuse the line as well as the defense knowing that if the pass gets off they have a 50/50 chance of the WR dropping the pass.

Our offense as a whole was bad.

It depends on what type of offense we go to in determining what QB best fits it. the Alabama style is one i see a lot and if that is the case then Zac Lee is by far the best choice. but all of these offenses have things we don't

Stanford - a durable 40 carry a game RB with an O-Line that run blocks extremely well (WE DONT QUALIFY)

Alabama - a game breaking corp of RB, and a superstar WR surrounded by other playmaking WR and an O-Line that is exceptional. (AGAIN WE DONT QUALIFY)

Florida - a great leader, a great line, great WR, and a QB that can run anywhere on the field. (NON QUALIFIER)

pick an offense, it doesn't really matter. until our line improves dramatically and we get playmakers on the outside it won't matter what offense we run or what player runs it.

I just don't see Lee being much if any better next year. Sadly, as low as it is I suspect we're close to his ceiling already. I think odds are extremely strong that he won't see any meaningful action next year. Seriously, what does he excel at? Ok, what does he do very good? Even average? Anything? If SW has "coached him up" it's invisable to me.

Green and Martinez fight it out next year with Lee available for emergency purposes only. Even with no serious running required by the qb those two give open field big gains a real possibility that I think Bo loves.

I certainly agree our Oline situation this year was disastrous. Rough sledding for Barney but it should improve boatloads next year. For Barney's sake it better.

I think the offense has been very poorly coached. It looks remarkably similar to 2007's defense. Gross inept performance at every angle. Guess what happened when a real DC arrived in 2008? Guess what will happen in 2010 when a real OC arrives?

This offense is the final part to putting the 426 hemi fully timed back into the Big Red Machine. It Bo hacks it.....we're back.