Bowl Plan

Feel free to respond to any of my other points at your leisure.

After your line about Lee being a good runner, I literally stopped reading.

Dear General Blackshirt,

"Win with Zac, or lose with Cody? Which is more beneficial"

Who said that by putting Lee in we necessarily win, or that by putting Green in we necessarily lose? I made neither of those statements. I do want to apologize, I don't think I made my original posts clear enough.

Do I want to win this game? Absolutely. Is it important. Yes I do think so, but I also don't think it's the end of the world if we lose, certainly not on par to what losing the Big12CC was. And let's be honest. How often do we celebrate the Holiday Bowl wins ten years from now? We remember the big games.

Secondly, I am not saying we should put Green in solely because he may be the future. This is what I really didn't elaborate on like I should have and that's my fault. What I'm saying, and I would be tempted to hear anyone argue this, is that Lee and Green are very similar players. Neither has shown true leadership or outstanding ability above the other. Both have made their share of mistakes. My point is, when you're dealing with similar players, and considering the O-Line we have, why not put in the guy who is a better runner, and see how he has progressed since his last start. I'm not a Green Homer, and I am not a Lee basher. I think Lee has a beautiful pass, but for whatever reason, something about him or the O-Line or Watson or whatever, he does not get the job done. Let someone else try without pulling him out after one play.

"that winning this game is still the priority. "

Of course it is. I never said put in Green so we could lose the game. Certainly you're not saying that Lee at the helm is a guaranteed win? It's up in the air with both of them, I just want to see what Green can do. Most of all, how he adapts as the game goes on.

"What are your goals?"

To win every game. Obviously impossible this season, I know. And yes, Lee may be the starter next year. I have no idea and neither do you. But I do know that Green will be at NU longer than Lee. I feel that the experience Green gets this game may help him develop in the offseason, and the experience he gets could be the difference between a win and a loss next year. Will that necessarily be so? No. But I want to see what the guy can do.

And I do care about this game. I don't think it's an overly important game, no, but I want to win this game very much. More important than that, I want to be better for next year. Basically it boils down to the fact that we have two quarterbacks, neither of whom have shown anything special all year, and I'm willing to take a gamble on the lesser experienced of the two to see if we can get a change of tempo on offense, develop a leader, have a better escape route if our O-line collapses, etc.

That's all. I really don't see how you can disagree with this. Do you not want to see if Green has matured since his last start? Do you really think we are guaranteed a win or even a better likelihood at a win with Lee? I want to win this game, very much so. I didn't mean for it to sound otherwise.

I know it is early, but at the beginning of the year we were talking how great Zac was and how there would be no drop off.

I stated then we were expecting too much out of kid that could not get on the field last year. How does he go to first string. Transfers, graduation, injury and all of sudden he is the end to end all.

Cody is what we have in the wings. who knows what he is. He really can not be that good if he isn't better than Lee at this point. At best Zac is third string this year, if Witt had stayed and Spano not gotten injured.

With nearly a year of learning, supposed to have all this talent, why is he not ready. Why is he still behind Zac?

Coaching, ability, intelligence, work ethic, what? Other freshmen are starting all over the country in tougher situations to play than here. I just do not think it is is there. I have looked when he is on the field. I just do not see that spark, that flash needed to do the job.

My reasons for saying it is not fair to give up hope on Cody is that it has been a really difficult situation to him this year, almost unfair. He needed a redshirt year in a really bad way, and I'm sure it's impacted his development that he couldn't take it. He still has every chance to settle down and make strides. The fact that he hasn't shown enough to unseat Zac, I'm not too worried about. Zac was at least as much in the mix to be 1st string as Witt and Spano anyway.

So I disagree that Cody has shown he cannot be that good, but I do agree he hasn't shown too much. QB is an exceedingly difficult position to master, in any offense, which is why there are so few good ones. Green's physical talents mean little if he can't get his head wrapped around the position, and he hasn't shown that he can. Anyone counting on Green to just evolve into The Man is doing little more than counting stars at this point, IMO.

Cheshire, if you do not believe that Zac has some serious speed to him, I don't know what to say. In any case, it was a tangential comment on a minor point you made, but if that's how you'll handle disagreeing with it, OK. :dunno

To win every game. Obviously impossible this season, I know. And yes, Lee may be the starter next year. I have no idea and neither do you. But I do know that Green will be at NU longer than Lee. I feel that the experience Green gets this game may help him develop in the offseason, and the experience he gets could be the difference between a win and a loss next year. Will that necessarily be so? No. But I want to see what the guy can do.

It was never about 'guaranteed' wins or losses, but the respective chances each player would give the team. The experience Lee gets by having some faith shown in him, and leading the team through an entire game, could also be important for his off-season development and make the difference between W's and L's next year.

And I do care about this game. I don't think it's an overly important game, no, but I want to win this game very much. More important than that, I want to be better for next year.

We have the offseason to get better for next year, install next year's schemes for next year's team. I don't think this is an either-or, as if choosing to start Lee gives us the best chance to win the game, but hamstrings our development next year.

This game is important however I don't believe whether we play Green or Lee will make that much difference in the game.

I guess I'm glad he will play, but the way this is said it likely means Green won't start. However when they say he will be incorporated into the game plan makes me think they set up some Run plays for him which will be interesting to see.

This offense is/has been at rock bottom, trying new guys isn't going to hurt much.

if the run plays turn out like they did when we played OU, then don't hold your breath!

The experience Lee gets by having some faith shown in him, and leading the team through an entire game, could also be important for his off-season development and make the difference between W's and L's next year.

You're right, this game could be important for him next year. Correct me if I'm wrong however - Lee has started and played entire games numerous times this season. I don't know how much more faith we can give someone who has had plenty of opportunity to prove himself. Now, could he be better next year, far better? Of course. But don't act like nobody's given him a chance.

I want to see us get win number 10 this year. With the competitive nature of Pelini, I am sure that he doesn't think of this as an unimportant game.

I'd also like to see Cody Green get a chance for some real playing time with some plays that can showcase the young freshman--not the crap that he's been hobbled with thus far. I believe someone recently did a breakdown of Green's snaps during games this year. Did any of the Green bashers review it? All I can say is that people on this forum have been really brutal on him for what little chances he's been given and the fact that he's a true freshman.

For the record:

Q: Do you know what the difference is between Zac Lee and Cody Green?

A: Zac Lee has been given a season's worth of opportunity to prove himself the completely mediocre quarterback that he is. The nation has rendered the verdict and found him thoroughly without potential. Even fans of other teams that just happened to be watching the NU game couldn't help but comment to me how bad NU's offense had become, and in particular our qb. Watching Nebraska with Zac Lee at the helm next season would be akin to being buried neck-deep in an anthill.

Our illustrious OC has been given an entire month to find some offense. According to many of you, he's a freaking genius, so that should be plenty of time to get some plays around Green. Put the kid in, and unless he starts turning the ball over, he can only do better than that total embarrassment we've had at qb.

Exactly, General Blackshirt.

I'm almost concerned the coaches don't feel this is a must-win game, though. They are certainly downplaying it.

Bo chewed his own brother's ass for a td at the end of the CU game that had no impact on the outcome of the game. I find it real hard believe this guy considers the bowl an exhibition-game. He hates to lose.

And he hates uneccesary points, like at the end of the CU game.

The experience Lee gets by having some faith shown in him, and leading the team through an entire game, could also be important for his off-season development and make the difference between W's and L's next year.

You're right, this game could be important for him next year. Correct me if I'm wrong however - Lee has started and played entire games numerous times this season. I don't know how much more faith we can give someone who has had plenty of opportunity to prove himself. Now, could he be better next year, far better? Of course. But don't act like nobody's given him a chance.

You're asking for a QB to come into his first year starting and become an all-star QB that will blow your mind away.

You're asking too much.