Sarah Pavan proves more potent after summer

Paven proves more potent after summer

BY TODD HENRICHS / Lincoln Journal Star

After tearing apart the Big 12 in her freshman season, imagine what Sarah Pavan will do with a little meat on her bones.

From tall and gangly last season — an oak tree swaying in the wind, as NU head coach John Cook described her — Pavan has developed into a lean, mean 6-foot-5 volleyball-playing machine.

"She now looks like a college volleyball player," Cook said on Tuesday, the first day of practice for the preseason No. 1-ranked Huskers. "You can really tell in blocking and in defense because you've got to be strong to get low and play defense and to get over and block.

"Like today out there, she was really making some plays."

That shouldn't be surprising, given that Pavan earned national freshman-of-the-year honors in 2004 after becoming just the sixth Husker to produce more than 480 kills in a single season.

At 6-5, it's not like Pavan has much of a problem hitting over an opposing block, but on Tuesday, she said she's jumping higher and hitting harder than she has at any point in her career.

She has gained 20 pounds — all muscle — over last season when Pavan reported to Nebraska at a whopping 150 pounds.

"When I first came here, I was at ground zero," Pavan said. "I had nowhere to go but up.

"One of the main reasons that I chose to come to this school is because their weight-training program is so advanced. I knew I would get stronger, but I didn't think I would get this much stronger in such a short time."

Pavan focused on getting stronger in the offseason instead of spending her summer playing with the Canadian national team.

Pavan, still a week from celebrating her 19th birthday, was the youngest player to ever compete for Team Canada at age 16. She dreams of one day leading the Canadians to a berth in the Olympic Games.

For now, however, Pavan says her total focus is on leading Nebraska to a national championship.

"This team, this program is my priority right now," Pavan said. "I want to do everything I can to make this program better, and if that means staying here in the summer, that's what I'll do.

"I wanted to get strong, I wanted to get in better shape, obviously improve and get to know the girls a lot better. I did all that."

As practice opened Tuesday, Pavan said the deep and talented Huskers are closer to a national championship than they were a year ago.

Still, not a day passes without Pavan reflecting on the Huskers' emotional five-game loss to Southern California in the regional final last season.

Pavan had 35 kills in the match, the fifth-highest total in school history. There were times where she almost single-handedly kept the Huskers' national title hopes alive.

When it ended with the Huskers a mere three points from the final four, a sobbing Pavan appeared more like a senior after playing her final match than a freshman just having played perhaps the match of the year.

Though weak in stature, Pavan had a strong resolve to lift Nebraska to the top of the collegiate game. It's even stronger as the Huskers begin a new season.

"I came here with the intention of helping this team win four national championships," she said, "and that was one we didn't get.

"It was a great game and a great season last year and we have so much to build on. It's just unfinished business proving to the rest of the country that we could have been so much more."

Briefly

n Sophomore middle blocker Tracy Stalls practiced in a limited role Tuesday afternoon. Stalls is recovering from arthroscopic surgery performed last spring to remove scar tissue from both knees. "We're just seeing what she can do now," Cook said, "and how she will progress each day."

College Sports Television (Lincoln cable channel 310) will provide live coverage of NU's season opener against Hawaii on Aug. 25.

Link

NU Volleyball Begins

Associated Press

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) -- The Nebraska volleyball team opens practice, 17 days ahead of its season-opening match against fellow title hopeful Hawaii in the College Volleyball Showcase.

The Showcase will feature 4 of the nation's top 5 teams with #1 Nebraska, #3 Stanford, #4 Hawaii and #5 Penn State expected to compete in the tourney at the end of August at the QWEST Center in Omaha.

Coach John Cook says he plans to do some tinkering with the team that narrowly missed advancing to the N-C-A-A final four last year. He says he's considering changing some players' positions.

--------------

I hate when ticketmaster gets involved in Nebraska athletics because they jack up the prices so much. So hard to find decent seats that aren't too overpriced. Nebraska needs to stop selling tickets to ticketmaster affiliates.

My condolences to the practice volleyballs used by the UNL team this year as it appears that they will be taking a major beating...LOL

I thought Pavan and Houghtelling hit the snot out of the ball last year and it sounds as if they are hitting even harder this year.

Should be another exciting year in the Coliseum.

GBR