8/17 practice

Quick update on todays practice

bill.jpg

Herian Status:

Nebraska tight end Matt Herian could be ready to play in time for Big 12 Conference action, and perhaps sooner Bill Callahan said

“That’s all based on Matt, and what he’s capable of doing, and how fast he recovers. It’s totally up to Matt. He’s running, and he has no pain the next day. That’s a real positive for us, that he’s recovering"

Safety realignment

-Callahan had this to say about Siegel's departure: "I can’t speak for him, but we’re moving on, and we wish him the best of luck".

On leon playing perm on defense?

- "We could bring Leon back to offense if we wanted to, but it’s safe to say Leon will be back there (at safety) for awhile so he can learn the position and get comfortable"

- Callahan commented that Daniel Bullocks and Andrew Shanle will be strong safties while Leon Jackson and Blake Tietdke are Free safties

-Calalhan noted also that both strong safties will be learning Free safety and vice versa for the strong safety guys

"We want them to pick up both positions and feel comfortable in case we need to move them around during the season" Callahan said

- Blake Tiedtke has taken over as the starting free safety with Leon Jackson as the number 2

Inury Bug

- Callahan read a list of injured players

Jeff Souder (groin)

Ola Dagundro (Ankle)

Lance Brandenburgh (hamstring)

Justin Tomerlin (rib)

J.B. Phillips (knee)

- Dontrell Moore did not practice due to a concussion he received in yesterdays practice but should be good to go

-Chris Brooks is still out for 3 more weeks and Murtha should be back by the 9th of Sep in Husker gear

"It’s the normal bumps and bruises of training camp. That happens at this time of year. We’re optimistic these guys are going to get back on the field sooner or later. Thank God we don’t have any major injuries right now.” Callahan said

QB starter?

-Callahan said he still wasn't ready to name Zac Taylor as the starting QB.

"I haven't given a date yet. I'm just waiting to see how it all goes We’re still competing. We looked at Harrison Beck and Joe extensively today. Those two guys are getting a lot of reps. Meanwhile, Beau Davis and Jordan Adams are receiving fewer reps than Taylor, Ganz and Beck" Callahan said

Captains?

- Callahan hasn't set a date when captains would be announced

"We haven't announced that yet. We'll announce that at a later time when we are all clear. We are going to talk to the senior leadership at length and we'll have an opportunity to discuss it and at a future time we'll make that announcement"

Tour De Camp Jerseys

- Offensive lineman Kurt Mann (offense), Safety Blake Tiedtke (Defense), and Cornerback Tierre Green (Special teams) received the yellow "Tour De Camp" jerseys today

######, I love your photos. How are you getting them? Also, what type of camera do you use? I'm an amateur photog and think you do a great job.

Have a friend who works as a free lance photgrapher for the Associated Press in lincoln and he takes these photos. The camera he uses is a rather high end 8.2 megapixel. It's a Canon EOS 20D.