Final Four is NU's obssesion

From OWH

817jlvb.jpg

Final Four is NU's obsession

LINCOLN - Melissa Elmer knows it's the loss she'll never forget

And remembering that loss is the entire point.

One, two, three points, to be precise.

Game five of the 2004 NCAA regional finals: Southern California 15, Nebraska 12 - three points separating finality and Final Four.

Eight months later, the Huskers are just about everybody's preseason pick to win it all in 2005. And Elmer and her teammates have spent all eight of those months obsessing over the three points that kept them from competing in last year's national semifinals.

"Just the way it ended is what's really bothered me," said Elmer, who - along with fellow senior Jennifer Saleaumua - is entering her last year at NU. "You're so close, and you're just right there, and then it's gone."

During the Huskers' grueling summer conditioning drills, run by strength coach and former Husker Laura Pilakowski, the workouts became even more punishing with the addition of "three-point" exercises.

When the day's scheduled workout was completed - and everybody on the team could hardly move - the team had to finish the session with a series of timed sprints, for example, in sets of threes.

"It really made you push," Elmer said during team media day Wednesday. "But I think it really benefited everybody and just really reminded us how close we were last year."

The motivation tactic is modeled after the one used by the NU football team after its 18-16 loss to Florida State in the 1994 Orange Bowl.

When the football team began its summer conditioning the following season, the players took inspiration in the message on the Memorial Stadium scoreboard. It read: NU 16, FSU 15 with 1:16 on the clock - the last time Nebraska led in the Orange bowl against the Seminoles.

The Husker football team, of course, went on to win the next two national championships - and the volleyball team is hoping to start a similar run in 2005.

"We think about that USC match every day," sophomore Sarah Pavan said. "It's still a really sore spot with all of us, and I know all of us never want it to happen again."

The Huskers return six starters from a team that went 30-2 and ended 2004 rated No. 5, including All-America selections Elmer, Saleaumua and Pavan. NU's incoming class of freshmen also includes highly touted recruits Rachel Holloway and Jordan Larson from Logan View, and standout setter Maggie Griffin also joins the team after transferring from Michigan State.

Last December, Nebraska entered the NCAA tournament ranked No. 1 in the country. The Huskers made it to the regional finals on the strength of their 27 straight victories - and only a handful of those 27 wins were even mildly competitive.

Then NU met defending national champion Southern California in the Louisville, Ky., regional - the final hurdle to a spot in the 2004 Final Four.

With the match tied 2-2, and the fifth game knotted 12-12, the Huskers stumbled on a series of errors and breakdowns.

But even more than last year, the Huskers' 2005 schedule is loaded with Top 25 teams. And Cook hopes the experience of losing to USC last year, combined with the rigors of playing one of the toughest schedules in the country, will have NU ready for anything it might see in this year's NCAA tournament.

"We had an epic match against USC," Cook said. "And I think the edge that we have when we get to the big matches this season is that we'll know how to take it and make sure we're the ones that come out on top."

NU shooting for top

Husker spikers aiming for national crown

By Bob Hamar

bob.hamar@theindependent.com

LINCOLN -- Expectations are sky high for Nebraska's volleyball team this season.

The players expect nothing less than a national championship. The coaches have the same goal.

And how about the fans? They seem to expect quite a bit from this team as well.

Some expect so much that they have paid $2,500 a pop for season tickets in the newly created floor seating area on each end of the court at the Nebraska Coliseum.

Nebraska coach John Cook said 32 of those seats have already been sold for this season.

"That is amazing," Nebraska junior outside hitter Christina Houghtelling said Wednesday at the team's annual media day. "Who has that, really? I never even thought it was possible. We always say we want more people in the Coliseum, and now they're on the floor there with us."

What that means to Houghtelling and her teammates is that there might be just a little extra pressure on them this year. Houghtelling said those fans paying the big bucks are expecting the Huskers to win.

Volleyball experts from around the nation expect a lot from the Huskers this season as well. NU was rated No. 1 in the preseason poll and was a unanimous choice to win the Big 12 Conference title.

The Husker return seven regulars from last year's 30-2 team, including first team All-Americans Melissa Elmer and Sarah Pavan and second teamer Jennifer Saleaumua.

Pavan was the first freshman to be named a first team All-American since 1990.

Throw in talented newcomers like freshman Jordan Larson (Logan View), Rachel Schwartz (Lincoln East) along with setters Rachel Holloway and Maggie Griffin, a transfer from Michigan State, and you can see that Cook has some decisions to make.

Somehow, Cook has to make all the pieces fit so that when the going gets tough -- like it did last year in a Regional Final loss to Southern California -- his team can find a way to come out on top.

"We have a lot of experience coming back after going through it last year," Cook said. "We had an epic match last year against USC. I think the edge that we'll have will be the motivation that when we get to the defining moments this season we will know how to take it and make sure we're the ones to come out on top.

"Sometimes you have to go through that to learn what it's going to take. We will have a deep motivation, hopefully deeper than any other team in the country."

Elmer is certainly motivated. The 6-foot-2 middle blocker and Saleaumua are the only seniors on the team.

"I think being a senior, for me and Jen especially, this is our last shot, especially with how we ended last year," Elmer said. "That gives you a lot more motivation because after this season our volleyball careers could come to an end.

"You can't have any regrets. There's no next year, so I think it motivates us to lead this team to reach our ultimate goal."

Elmer, who led the nation in blocking last season, said the 2005 team has a chance to be a special group.

"You want to give your all for one season," Elmer said. "We have a great chance to do some amazing things this year with the team we have and the talent we have. Every player on this team can contribute. I think for years to come they're going to have a great team. Nebraska always has a great team, but I think this year ultimately will be a great year for us.

"I think being a senior, you just can't look back and have any regrets. You just can't."

The Huskers will host the annual Red-White Scrimmage Saturday night at the Coliseum. The 1995 national championship team, along with coach Terry Pettit, will be honored that night.

NU opens the season Aug. 26 against Hawaii at the AVCA/NACWAA College Volleyball Showcase at the Qwest Center in Omaha

Link