Central Florida Placed on 2 Years Probation

GSG

Central Florida gets two years probation

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Central Florida has been put on two years probation after the NCAA says it committed "major" football recruiting violations.

The NCAA report released Thursday says two former UCF employees placed about 200 non-permissible phone calls and about 100 non-permissible text messages from June 2007 to January 2009 to 27 recruits and their parents.

The former staffers were not named in the report. The NCAA stated in the report that the coaching staff wasn't aware of their phone contact with recruits.

UCF coach George O'Leary says in a statement that the "violations that took place are extremely disappointing."

UCF also received recruiting restrictions that were completed during the 2008-10 seasons. The university self-reported the violations to the NCAA.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

LINK

Are you serious. They are UCF they are recruiting against about 50 other colleges in FL. USC can continue to give away house, jobs, and cash yet I am supposed to feel like justice is being served because UCF cant go to a bowl game? This is crap. THey make a BS ruling for coach in waiting to start the week while I dont like the idea of of these crazy coaching salaries; but to penalize a team for trying to prepare for the future is dumb. All that means now is you give them a raise tell them they have the job and just not say anthing about CIW.

Are you serious. They are UCF they are recruiting against about 50 other colleges in FL. USC can continue to give away house, jobs, and cash yet I am supposed to feel like justice is being served because UCF cant go to a bowl game? This is crap. THey make a BS ruling for coach in waiting to start the week while I dont like the idea of of these crazy coaching salaries; but to penalize a team for trying to prepare for the future is dumb. All that means now is you give them a raise tell them they have the job and just not say anthing about CIW.

Just as I have said here and here, this is the difference between a small inconsequential school (UCF) and a major program (USC). The NCAA will not issue edicts which will impair a major program's revenue generation. (TV contracts)

The NCAA gets a share from all the conference's TV contracts, so they will not unnecessarily harm a major revenue generating team such as USC whose alumni is represented nationwide. USF is basically a regional college with limited reach and influence, so the NCAA comes down on them harder without risking any revenue losses. (TV bans, Bowl bans, Death Penalties)

USC will get a little wrist slap from the NCAA - maybe 1 or 2 lost scholarships for a couple years - but they will not bite the hand that feeds them.