Three Ways to Look at It

Sunshine Pumper (as people may seem to think i am, really, i am not - seriously) - It's okay this team is still young they lost to a great UCLA team that is undefeated in UCLA it doesn't matter!

Debbie Downer (aka Huskerfan55 or huskerXman) - They got crushed, we suck. Our pitching is terrible, fire Anderson!

and

Realistic - Okay, here is where I'm really going to go into my rant. There were good and bad things that came out of this weekend.

I'll start with the bad. Quality at-bats. Opponents are getting them, we aren't. We are going down on strikes WAY too many times. I believe it was 12 in game 1, 13 in game 2, 20 in game 3. so out of 81 outs, we got out 45 times without even making UCLA put the ball in play. That is PATHETIC. Game 1 I'll accept. Gerrit Cole is an absolute monster. To put him in terms of people we may recognize in the big 12, he's an Aaron Crow type pitcher. Guy is fantastic. But games 2 and 3 are unacceptable in that aspect. Seriously today, 20 strike outs of 27 outs? Really? We put the ball in play only SEVEN times that we were retired? UCLA made 3 errors in that game. If we put the ball in play half of those 20, maybe they make another 2 or 3 errors, and we win the game.

Now, the 1st game of the double header was bad from all aspects. We knew we were going to have to hold them down to win that, and after we gave up 4 in the 1st, most knew it was over, Cole wasn't going to give up that many runs. HOWEVER, the way we bounced back in games 2 and 3 was impressive. We easily could of rolled over and taken it from UCLA all weekend.

Which brings me to the good.

Pitching. UCLA had not been held to less than 6 runs all year, playing teams such as Vandy, USC, and Long Beach State - baseball power houses. We held them to 5 in both games 2 and 3. While I'm vocally not the biggest Mariot fan, he did "only" give up 5 through 6 innings, which could of been worse, but it kept us in the game. Lemke had a great 1st inning, followed by a terrible 2nd inning. He had a guy 0-2 with 2 outs and 2 runners on, and gave up a bomb. Sharpe and Lane both said that he threw too good of a pitch in that situation. Maybe he missed his target, I don't know what was called. Hopefully that's a learning thing. Outside of that, Hauptman was AMAZING. 6.1 innings giving up 7 hits and 1 unearned run. Roualdes error absolutely KILLED us there.

It sucks, we got swept. It really, REALLY sucks. BUT, we can take some positives from it.

Now I really like the pitching. Holding down that offense will prove just more and more impressive as the season moves on. That may be the best team (aside from MAYBE UT) that we face all regular season. A good thing about our schedule this year. We aren't getting fake wins and getting our hopes up. They are earning and learning everything. However, we have GOT to learn to get the damn bat on the ball. All those strike outs are PATHETIC. Hopefully now that the weather is nicer we will see that work out better. Hopefully it's just a lack of actual reps. Time will tell.

Sunshine Pumper (as people may seem to think i am, really, i am not - seriously) - It's okay this team is still young they lost to a great UCLA team that is undefeated in UCLA it doesn't matter!

Debbie Downer (aka Huskerfan55 or huskerXman) - They got crushed, we suck. Our pitching is terrible, fire Anderson!

and

Realistic - Okay, here is where I'm really going to go into my rant. There were good and bad things that came out of this weekend.

I'll start with the bad. Quality at-bats. Opponents are getting them, we aren't. We are going down on strikes WAY too many times. I believe it was 12 in game 1, 13 in game 2, 20 in game 3. so out of 81 outs, we got out 45 times without even making UCLA put the ball in play. That is PATHETIC. Game 1 I'll accept. Gerrit Cole is an absolute monster. To put him in terms of people we may recognize in the big 12, he's an Aaron Crow type pitcher. Guy is fantastic. But games 2 and 3 are unacceptable in that aspect. Seriously today, 20 strike outs of 27 outs? Really? We put the ball in play only SEVEN times that we were retired? UCLA made 3 errors in that game. If we put the ball in play half of those 20, maybe they make another 2 or 3 errors, and we win the game.

Now, the 1st game of the double header was bad from all aspects. We knew we were going to have to hold them down to win that, and after we gave up 4 in the 1st, most knew it was over, Cole wasn't going to give up that many runs. HOWEVER, the way we bounced back in games 2 and 3 was impressive. We easily could of rolled over and taken it from UCLA all weekend.

Which brings me to the good.

Pitching. UCLA had not been held to less than 6 runs all year, playing teams such as Vandy, USC, and Long Beach State - baseball power houses. We held them to 5 in both games 2 and 3. While I'm vocally not the biggest Mariot fan, he did "only" give up 5 through 6 innings, which could of been worse, but it kept us in the game. Lemke had a great 1st inning, followed by a terrible 2nd inning. He had a guy 0-2 with 2 outs and 2 runners on, and gave up a bomb. Sharpe and Lane both said that he threw too good of a pitch in that situation. Maybe he missed his target, I don't know what was called. Hopefully that's a learning thing. Outside of that, Hauptman was AMAZING. 6.1 innings giving up 7 hits and 1 unearned run. Roualdes error absolutely KILLED us there.

It sucks, we got swept. It really, REALLY sucks. BUT, we can take some positives from it.

Now I really like the pitching. Holding down that offense will prove just more and more impressive as the season moves on. That may be the best team (aside from MAYBE UT) that we face all regular season. A good thing about our schedule this year. We aren't getting fake wins and getting our hopes up. They are earning and learning everything. However, we have GOT to learn to get the damn bat on the ball. All those strike outs are PATHETIC. Hopefully now that the weather is nicer we will see that work out better. Hopefully it's just a lack of actual reps. Time will tell.

I was unable to listen to any of the games, I just want to know and I am not sure why we have a guy try to score for from first when we have no outs. I believe this happened in the second game. Did he miss the stop sign, did he ignor it or was he sent by the third base coach?

I know I am taking my life in my own hands asking these questions but I will ask any how. Also is Anderson still the hitting coach?

I was unable to listen to any of the games, I just want to know and I am not sure why we have a guy try to score for from first when we have no outs. I believe this happened in the second game. Did he miss the stop sign, did he ignor it or was he sent by the third base coach?

I know I am taking my life in my own hands asking these questions but I will ask any how. Also is Anderson still the hitting coach?

Seriously, get over the knee shots, okay? If you want to ask me a question, ask without being rude about it, thanks.

To answer the question, i didn't get to listen to the whole game. I was at work, and had the games on, but couldn't listen to the whole of both games obviously. I don't know why, but yes it was stupid. I don't know if maybe you were talking about when Farst got caught between and Asche couldn't make it 3rd? I thought that was a mistake on Farst's part, but I came in on the middle of that call, so i really don't know for sure. Anderson is still the hitting coach, but i really don't see a problem this year other than the strike outs? Other than Cal St Northridge, we scored more runs than other teams have this year. Northridge scored 5, but Rasmussen had control issues that game, walking 4 and hitting another in 3.2 innings, giving up 5 all 5 runs. Before us, opponents were hitting .183 on Cole, so struggling there isn't a surprise.. Then we put up 3 and 4, where they gave up 1 to long beach, 2 to vandy, and 1 to USC. Our offense hasn't struggle too much yet this season against good competition, so it may be a little early to worry about that too much. According to Lane and Greg the play that Uribe made at 1st, to rob DJ of a 2 rbi hit in the top of the 8th in game 2, was the play of the series and a spectacular play. If that gets through its a 5-5 game, and who knows what will happen going forth.

I was asking any one who might have been able to listen to the game. Cooper may be the only one in the team who could score from first on thta play. Not sure maybe there are other speedsters.

Havoc you were talking about the lack of quality at bats, one would hope that changes as the season moves forward. I know I hate to see them lose but I wonder how many more then can lose with out it becoming contagious?

lane grindel said that ucla's number 1 pitcher is the best pitcher he's seen throw against NU since he started doing the games three years ago, and that their number 2 guys is in the top 5 of pitchers he's seen play NU. i know he's not a college baseball guru, but after watching all the games the last three years you have to figure he at least has a little bit of an idea

lane grindel said that ucla's number 1 pitcher is the best pitcher he's seen throw against NU since he started doing the games three years ago, and that their number 2 guys is in the top 5 of pitchers he's seen play NU. i know he's not a college baseball guru, but after watching all the games the last three years you have to figure he at least has a little bit of an idea

The kids name is Gerrit Cole. And he probably will be one of the best (if not the best) pitcher we'll see all year. He was a first round draft pick, and though I can't remember what number, he went pretty high in that round.

Don't remember much of the second guy we faced, though. Think his last name was Bauer?

The kids name is Gerrit Cole. And he probably will be one of the best (if not the best) pitcher we'll see all year. He was a first round draft pick, and though I can't remember what number, he went pretty high in that round.

Don't remember much of the second guy we faced, though. Think his last name was Bauer?

Yea, kinda like i put it, Cole is a stud, and I have no problems getting beat by him.. He was already a 1st round draft pick, and will make a run at being one of, if not the top college player taken in the draft when he is draft eligible (he's a true sophomore).. Bauer also is a true soph, not nearly as good as Cole and probably not in the top 5 we've faced in the past 3 years, but fair enough, i haven't actually seen him throw in person. I'd have to say that Jungmann from UT and Taylor Wall from Rice are both better.. Not to mention Lane has seen Aaron Crow and Andy Oliver both of whom are better than Bauer...at least at this point.

And 55, yes, losing can become contagious, but I believe we have a good (hopefully) 5 games before we head down to Texas that should give us some confidence to win. The competition should give the team the confidence that they can compete, while the wins will help the record. Texas and OU are going to be our two toughest conference foes this year, and we get them right out of the gate.. That could be good or bad, we shall see.

Not to mention Lane has seen Aaron Crow and Andy Oliver both of whom are better than Bauer...at least at this point.

^^ My first thought when he said that.

As for Cole, I'm pretty it was the Yankees that drafted him (correct me if I'm wrong). I don't think there is anyway that at that age I could have said 'no thanks' to the Yankees after drafting me that high. I'm guessing there was some heavy parental influence in that decision. I know if it were me it would have gone straight to my head.

Not to mention Lane has seen Aaron Crow and Andy Oliver both of whom are better than Bauer...at least at this point.

^^ My first thought when he said that.

As for Cole, I'm pretty it was the Yankees that drafted him (correct me if I'm wrong). I don't think there is anyway that at that age I could have said 'no thanks' to the Yankees after drafting me that high. I'm guessing there was some heavy parental influence in that decision. I know if it were me it would have gone straight to my head.

Hmm reply from my phone didn't work.. yea, yankees drafted him. and the decision to come back to school looks like it may be paying off since he still has all of next year also...

on a side note, Rivals does position rankings every week, and Cole and Bauer both entered the pitching rankings this week for the 1st time, at 7 and 8. I'll link to it below.. The rankings are kinda weird, pitchers are all together, and middle infield is together, but corner spots are separate.. Kendall says its all yahoo will give him for now, so they take it.

Rivals Position Rankings