RIP Brook Berringer

Nexus

I worked a graveyard job and remember hearing about the crash while at work. Funny thing is that for most of the night I was thinking there were 2 plane crashes in Nebraska that day.

druski: You have it right my friend, that was one weekend where it seemed like the sun wouldn't shine.

I also remember that before the NFL draft they had a moment of silence for Brooke, that's something you don't see that often.

RIP Brook. I remember hearing about the tragedy, I believe it rained in Nebraska [at least where I was at] for a few days after that as if the Heavens we're crying down with all of Husker nation. I remember being in tears when I found out about the tragedy, as if it was a sick joke and I couldn't comprhend what had happened to such a nice young man. I never knew how much Brook impacted the Huskers that much until much later in life when I respected and loved what Berringer and Turman did in the 1994 season when Frazier [my favorite of the three] go down with injury. It was not until later when I realized how good Brook was and how high of potential he had at the NFL level, but still opted to play in an Option oriented offense because he loved what Nebraska brought to the table, and that if the NFL didn't work out, he had something else to fall back on.

I was only 7 when the Frazier/Berringer controversy happened before the 1995 Orange Bowl and I wanted Frazier to start because he was my favorite, I wanted to emulate him. But after watching the game over again, and reading these stories and how Brook had to command then team in 1994 with the injury to Frazier, as well as just being a great individual off the field as well [remember it's not ALWAYS about football] and that he took the backup role all with class act in what was best for the team, and how he influenced and touched so many lives, he was a blessing. It is sad to see him go and to hear about all of the great things he did. It was also nice to see him get a touchdown in his last game in the 1996 Fiesta Bowl on a QB sneak I believe it was.

It's nice that we dedicate what we can to what Brook did, with the statue, the remembrance, as well as the scholarships in his name and to be a classy individual on and off the football field. He will always be a Husker legend and embraces what Nebraska is all about.

Don't mistake Berringer's love for what Nebraska brought to the table with regards to playing here in an option based offense. Had Berringer not played football at Nebraska, he was asked and would have walked on at KU to play basketball. Berringer was a fairly unknown commodity coming out of high school. He was a one year starter at Goodland because he rode the pine behind the coaches son. The only reason he ended up at Nebraska to play football was due to his performance at Nebraska's QB camp. TO found a diamond in the rough. He knew better than to ask Berringer to walk-on because he knew KU had already asked Brook to walk-on to play basketball.

RIP Brook. I remember hearing about the tragedy, I believe it rained in Nebraska [at least where I was at] for a few days after that as if the Heavens we're crying down with all of Husker nation. I remember being in tears when I found out about the tragedy, as if it was a sick joke and I couldn't comprhend what had happened to such a nice young man. I never knew how much Brook impacted the Huskers that much until much later in life when I respected and loved what Berringer and Turman did in the 1994 season when Frazier [my favorite of the three] go down with injury. It was not until later when I realized how good Brook was and how high of potential he had at the NFL level, but still opted to play in an Option oriented offense because he loved what Nebraska brought to the table, and that if the NFL didn't work out, he had something else to fall back on.

I was only 7 when the Frazier/Berringer controversy happened before the 1995 Orange Bowl and I wanted Frazier to start because he was my favorite, I wanted to emulate him. But after watching the game over again, and reading these stories and how Brook had to command then team in 1994 with the injury to Frazier, as well as just being a great individual off the field as well [remember it's not ALWAYS about football] and that he took the backup role all with class act in what was best for the team, and how he influenced and touched so many lives, he was a blessing. It is sad to see him go and to hear about all of the great things he did. It was also nice to see him get a touchdown in his last game in the 1996 Fiesta Bowl on a QB sneak I believe it was.

It's nice that we dedicate what we can to what Brook did, with the statue, the remembrance, as well as the scholarships in his name and to be a classy individual on and off the football field. He will always be a Husker legend and embraces what Nebraska is all about.

Don't mistake Berringer's love for what Nebraska brought to the table with regards to playing here in an option based offense. Had Berringer not played football at Nebraska, he was asked and would have walked on at KU to play basketball. Berringer was a fairly unknown commodity coming out of high school. He was a one year starter at Goodland because he rode the pine behind the coaches son. The only reason he ended up at Nebraska to play football was due to his performance at Nebraska's QB camp. TO found a diamond in the rough. He knew better than to ask Berringer to walk-on because he knew KU had already asked Brook to walk-on to play basketball.

Oh I hear ya completely, I didn't know that he was a multi-sport athlete with basketball involved as well, that's pretty neat. I was just saying he was more ready for a "Pro-Style offense" and probably had a better arm than Fraizer. He could still run the option just as well to move the ball, but Frazier was the better runner of the two from what I saw. I remember hearing that they opened the playbook up a little more for passing as well as keeping an option based/smashmouth offense when Berringer was inserted.

Most Nebraska fans wouldn't even have known who Berringer was had Frazier not gone down to injury. If Frost would have come to Nebraska in the first place, most people wouldn't have known who Berringer was even if Frazier had gone down to injury. It's a funny thing how college football and life plays out sometimes. As we get ready for the draft, it will be interesting to see where Kerry Meier gets drafter. Had Todd Reesing not gone to KU, it's almost a guarantee Meier would have gone undrafted because he would have been KU's QB.