Going Way Out Into The Wilderness

So I've finished reading a massive two-part biography of Teddy Roosevelt. In it, he falls in love with the Badlands of South Dakota, and often went on long expeditions out there to clear his mind.

I am really interested in doing something similar and experiencing a trek out in nature for a few days. I've never done anything like it before and I was wondering if things like that are still possible, what with all the development in this country and land ownership and what not.

I would also like to purchase a small-bore rifle (.22 LR / .17 HMR ?) and snag me some rabbits to cook if I were on such a trek. I haven't touched a rifle since boot camp. Again, I don't know if you can just bring a rifle out into "The Wild" these days, since I live in NYC and nothing is open land for even like fifty miles in any direction.

Any thoughts on such a trek or parts of the country where such a thing would be possible?

Depending on the time of the year you make your trek you're not going to want to shoot and eat rabbits and rabbits only. A diet of protein from rabbits can lead to rabbit starvation or protein poisoning. In addition wild rabbits can carry and transfer tularemia.

As for places to venture off to. I would consider the Adirondack's or the Catskills as they close to where you live and there are a lot of place to camp and hike. Get a map, a good compass, and learn how to read the map.

In addition wild rabbits can carry and transfer tularemia.

Well that's a buzz kill.

Thanks for the insight guys. I'm looking into doing this in the summer. The Catskills would be very convenient, but I think a little too close to home. I'm thinking of going West.

• 2 weeks later...

My old College Buddy came out to visit me shortly after I moved out here.

We decided to take a ~200 mile day trip out to the Grand Canyon. but after taking a short hike into it..we were floored by the beauty that's only hinted at from seeing it from the rim like 95% of the visitors see it...and most pictures are taken from.

I'd even left my tent and sleeping bags at home, so we had to rent them there..The next morning we went out and splurged on (one) canteen and went on a trek to "find the river"..Became a little uneasy after passing a sign that read,"Don't go any further without at least a gallon of water per person" or not to go past another point without permission to stay overnight.

The trip back out took about three times as long as the descent, and it took some running uphill but we managed to get back out before it got too dark and even had three drops of watter left over.

Years later I took my Wife and two Sons to see it..It was the first time I remember ever seeing her cry (at the beauty) but she was way too afraid of heights (or depths) to really see the beauty beyond the "tip of the iceberg".

Someday, I'd love to spend a month and just get lost at the bottom and visit the Havasupai.

The quietness is deafening..

Info at

HGCFree_Web01.jpg

Some other info and an interesting blog by another hiker