Husker Commuter Train

I continue to hope for rail to be the future of transportation in America. If they can do it in Japan, why not here?

Because America is about 26 times larger than Japan.

That didnt stop us in the 19th century. Why should it stop us in the 21st?

Because the rail road infrastructure has been torn to shreds for the most part. Most small towns have torn there train stations down. Even if you could get a train from, say Lincoln to Hastings, how will you get around once you are there? I dont think many taxi services run out there.

I spend time in The Netherlands every year, and the train service is awesome, although the supporting systems are built up. I can step off almost any train in any town and get a cab in seconds. I once traveled to a small town in Italy, that had maybe 1000 people, all i had to do was call a number on the wall and I had a taxi in 10 minutes, try that in Lincoln and you will wait an hour.

I checked the Amtrak site, and it would cost $89.00 to go from Omaha to Denver, and it takes nine hours. I can fly on southwest airlines for $73.00, and be there in an hour. I think train service is viable in higher population areas, back East, or the Pacific northwest. In this part of the country I think we are spread to thin to really have a high volume train service.

Obviously, the current state of the rail system isnt the future. The future of rail should be the future.

I liked the idea of a light rail connector from Lincoln to Omaha, I think that kind of rail can succeed, I dont think long distance passenger rail can make it. I can fly to Denver have a meeting and be back home in time for dinner while the train hasn't even made it there yet, I will take the plane every time. I know they have high speed rail overseas, but is it that fast? Also the flight is $16.00 cheaper. Places with high population densities can support rail (Northeast corridor for example) but out here we are spread way to thin and to far apart to compete with air travel, or even driving on your own schedule. Over all I agree with you that rail has a place, I just dont see it being a major factor in the mid-west.

I timed it one day, varying from 65 mph to 83 mph after the PR bridge, it takes me 21 minutes from the Waverly exit to east Omaha.

No way, unless you are traveling over 120 mph the entire way.

Per Mapquest, it is 44 miles from the Waverly exit to the I-80/480/75 confluence in downtown.

Now, if you're talking about Waverly to the highway 370/50 area in WEST O (about 31 miles), then it might take 25 minutes at those speeds.

Yeah, I think you meant West Omaha. I make the trip from West O quite a bit. I live in a part of Omaha where I'm just far enough from I-80 and 680 that I just go west to Gretna and hop on I80 west from 432. I've got friends who live in east Lincoln, so I get off on the Waverly Exit, 409 I believe. On average from Waverly to I80 in Omaha it take about 30 minutes, consistently doing 5-10 over.

It's sorta far-fetched, but I know some of the powers that be think that somewhere down the road Omaha and Lincoln could be in the same MSA, so even for future commuter purposes it could be more logical and get more use. of course thats decades down the road, and Omaha would have to swallow up Gretna first.

It's not far-fetched, but each city building their own new arena, having their own airport, etc, isn't hurrying this along. 40+ years ago, Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill put an airport and a research park between them and the whole area boomed. Each city still has it's own center and personality but there are some great facilities that the whole metro area shares.

It's sorta far-fetched, but I know some of the powers that be think that somewhere down the road Omaha and Lincoln could be in the same MSA, so even for future commuter purposes it could be more logical and get more use. of course thats decades down the road, and Omaha would have to swallow up Gretna first.

It's not far-fetched, but each city building their own new arena, having their own airport, etc, isn't hurrying this along. 40+ years ago, Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill put an airport and a research park between them and the whole area boomed. Each city still has it's own center and personality but there are some great facilities that the whole metro area shares.

Yeah, but I don't see Lincoln, Waverly, and Omaha building a communal airport any time soon with Eppley and the Lincoln airports already there...

I timed it one day, varying from 65 mph to 83 mph after the PR bridge, it takes me 21 minutes from the Waverly exit to east Omaha.

No way, unless you are traveling over 120 mph the entire way.

Per Mapquest, it is 44 miles from the Waverly exit to the I-80/480/75 confluence in downtown.

Now, if you're talking about Waverly to the highway 370/50 area in WEST O (about 31 miles), then it might take 25 minutes at those speeds.

Yeah, I think you meant West Omaha. I make the trip from West O quite a bit. I live in a part of Omaha where I'm just far enough from I-80 and 680 that I just go west to Gretna and hop on I80 west from 432. I've got friends who live in east Lincoln, so I get off on the Waverly Exit, 409 I believe. On average from Waverly to I80 in Omaha it take about 30 minutes, consistently doing 5-10 over.

Thats what I meant WEST Omaha, thinks for correction, GMoose.