A&M Regent, Gene Stallings says it's conceivable that UT and A&M could split up

Nexus

Texas A&M regent Gene Stallings — the former Texas A&M and Alabama football coach — said Thursday that it’s conceivable that Texas and Texas A&M could go their own separate ways and join different conferences, but said any Texas/Pac-10 and Texas A&M/SEC talk is only conjecture until concrete options are laid out before both schools.

Meanwhile, as was reported Thursday, Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds and Texas A&M athletic director Bill Byrne met today to discuss what happens next for the two schools.

That meeting is taking place in Austin, and despite other Internet reports, did not include representatives from Baylor or Texas Tech, a Longhorns official told us.

“I would think there would be a possibility, but to say they’d definitely do that …?” said Stallings, who now is a Texas A&M regent. “I don’t know who all will be involved. But I’d be stupid not to say that. Whether it’s much of a possibility, I don’t know. I’m not going to venture out on that until I know what all the options are.”

A&M and Texas could probably join the Southeastern Conference if they desired, but Texas school officials have steadfastly maintained they are not interested in that option.

No A&M regents meeting has been set, Stallings said.

LINK

IF Texas and aTm go to the Big 10, that still means we're invited right? They're not going to abandon us at the last minute for a big gem? I would assume so since taking both would put them at 13, and they'd just push on to 16, but it's kind of worrying until we hear an official announcement that we are in fact in the Big 10.

IF Texas and aTm go to the Big 10, that still means we're invited right? They're not going to abandon us at the last minute for a big gem? I would assume so since taking both would put them at 13, and they'd just push on to 16, but it's kind of worrying until we hear an official announcement that we are in fact in the Big 10.

We're still invited.

Delany covets ND, NU and UT the most. If that means bringing A&M along for the ride, then so be it. But that's been the rumor for awhile now.

I DON'T WANT TEXAS!!! gall darnit.

why don't they just keep 10 in the big 12...or just pick up 2 others? These super conferences are retarded and the scheduling for them would make no sense unless you did away with non conference scheduling. play 12 conference games and then go to a play off...idk, damn...I'm all for the Nebraska move, but i'm not at all in favor of 16 team conferences. not at all.

Per LJS:

This report from the Waco Tribune-Herald regarding the meeting today between Texas and Texas A&M:

"Texas and Texas A&M officials met Thursday in Austin to discuss whether to bolt to the Pac-10.

However, the meeting ended with the teams in limbo.According to a source, Texas President Bill Powers wants to go to the Pac-10, but Longhorns coach Mack Brown wants to stay in the Big 12. Texas A&M's first choice is to stay in the Big 12; its second choice is to go to the Southeastern Conference, the source said.

Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds has said that he wants to keep the Big 12 together."

Also, Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott, in a conference call today, said it's possible his league stops expansion at 11 teams after today's addition of Colorado. He said there is "no defined timetable" for more expansion.

Someone cue the Young and the Restless theme …

And in case you haven't heard, Lew Perkins has announced his retirement as A.D. at Kansas.

Shocking.

LINK

Bill Powers does not want to go to the Big 10.

The TexasExes (moneybags) do not want to go to the Big 10.

Gene Stallings takes the fact that UT regularly embarrassed the A&M teams that he coached, and he never forgot that.

And Gene Stallings can't see past his SEC blinders and is willing to let the SEC into the fertile Texas recruiting grounds.

Fortunately, the university presidents involved are aware of what the academic standards are in the various conferences around the nation and I have every confidence that they will make the right decision. I know it's hard to believe at this point in time, but there IS more than football involved here.

And anyone, including Mack Brown :worship :worship :worship , who says they want to stay in the Big 12, is simply parroting the party line until the new alignment is decided.

This report from the Waco Tribune-Herald regarding the meeting today between Texas and Texas A&M:

My Gosh Nexus, you're quoting the WACO paper? If anyone has a vested interest in keeping the corpse of the Big 12 together, it's that bunch in Waco.

why don't they just keep 10 in the big 12...or just pick up 2 others? These super conferences are retarded and the scheduling for them would make no sense unless you did away with non conference scheduling. play 12 conference games and then go to a play off...idk, damn...I'm all for the Nebraska move, but i'm not at all in favor of 16 team conferences. not at all.

Big, powerful, conferences mean big TV money.

Are you attempting to say this enough to make yourself believe it or do you really have some sort of direct line to Powers?

You do realize that Gee and Powers have spoken, no?

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2010/06/04/e-mails-hint-eyes-are-upon-texas.html

Ohio State University President E. Gordon Gee sent an e-mail to Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany on April 20 saying that he had spoken with Texas President William Powers.

"I did speak with Bill Powers at Texas, who would welcome a call to say they have a 'Tech' problem," Gee wrote in an e-mail that was among several obtained by The Dispatch through a public-records request for documents and correspondence related to Big Ten expansion proposals.

Are you attempting to say this enough to make yourself believe it or do you really have some sort of direct line to Powers?

You do realize that Gee and Powers have spoken, no?

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2010/06/04/e-mails-hint-eyes-are-upon-texas.html

Ohio State University President E. Gordon Gee sent an e-mail to Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany on April 20 saying that he had spoken with Texas President William Powers.

"I did speak with Bill Powers at Texas, who would welcome a call to say they have a 'Tech' problem," Gee wrote in an e-mail that was among several obtained by The Dispatch through a public-records request for documents and correspondence related to Big Ten expansion proposals.

No, I have no direct line, but I'm aware of the political hoops that any new conference will have to jump through. And besides, I don't put a lot of stock in press reports out of Big 10 country, as no one should put a lot of stock in what's coming out of the Austin media right now.

The conversation referred to is all well and good, but Powers would have to justify UT's bailing on any public school before the Texas Legislature in a year where this state has a 18 billion dollar deficit that must, by law, be made up.

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure that any state school that attempts to leave the others behind for any kind of sweetheart deal will be taken to the woodshed by the powers that be in Austin. And, yes, that includes UT. Read Don Hale's comment down in the article.

Also, we're well aware that we're ...an object of the conference's attention...". Heck, what conference wouldn't want Texas and its deep pockets?

Don't think football....think politics.

That's all well and good, but Powers would have to justify UT's bailing on any public school before the Texas Legislature in a year where this state has a 18 billion dollar deficit that must, by law, be made up.

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure that any state school that attempts to leave the others behind for any kind of sweetheart deal will be taken to the woodshed by the powers that be in Austin. And, yes, that includes UT.

And that's the "Tech problem" right there.

I am thinking Politics. As a matter of fact, I'm considering the whole picture. IMO, there is nothing that Pac Ten offers Texas that the Big Ten can't beat outside of baseball and a few other smaller sports. TV Exposure? Check. Athletic Money? Check. Academic Money? Check. A Cooperative Set of Universities? Check.

I live on the West Coast. I now know what the mindset is for the fans out here. It's no where near as rabid as what Texas is used to and the Big Ten provides.

Furthermore, IF A&M heads to the SEC; then it's even less of an issue for Texas to go Big Ten.

That's all well and good, but Powers would have to justify UT's bailing on any public school before the Texas Legislature in a year where this state has a 18 billion dollar deficit that must, by law, be made up.

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure that any state school that attempts to leave the others behind for any kind of sweetheart deal will be taken to the woodshed by the powers that be in Austin. And, yes, that includes UT.

And that's the "Tech problem" right there.

On a political level (as well as football) wouldn't it make more sense to break up the Texas schools?

They could each dominate their own conference and meet in title games.

TT to PAC-10 w/OSU and CU.

- Seems like the Tech offense would fit well there.

Baylor stays in in the Mountain West/Big XII (they aren't going to the PAC-10, right?)

- Sort of 'saves' the Big XII. The MWC could joint the remaining 5 Big XII teams, keeping the BCS invite.

A&M (w/OU) to the SEC

Texas to Big 10

Diversification would work better than what they had in the Big XII.

Kind of a 'take over the world' approach.

The TexasExes (moneybags) do not want to go to the Big 10.

Gene Stallings takes the fact that UT regularly embarrassed the A&M teams that he coached, and he never forgot that.

And Gene Stallings can't see past his SEC blinders and is willing to let the SEC into the fertile Texas recruiting grounds.

Fortunately, the university presidents involved are aware of what the academic standards are in the various conferences around the nation and I have every confidence that they will make the right decision. I know it's hard to believe at this point in time, but there IS more than football involved here.

1. and 2. - That's a given because the Big Ten is more competitive than the Pac-10

3. Having gone to school with Stallings' daughter and met him, I can assure you that he could care less about what Texas did in the late 60s.

4. This is the most laughable thing of all considering that the SEC schools already recruit Texas, including Alabama who just mopped the the Rose Bowl floor with Texas five months ago. It's also laughable because Florida produces just as many great athletes are Texas does.

5. Check the Longhorns' senior class and you'll find they're all majoring in "physical culture", "corporate communications", or "youth communcations"...so, the talk of athletics and academics with Texas' football team is wholly laughable as well

Face it, A&M may wise up and ditch Texas.

Big, powerful, conferences mean big TV money.

I'm not oblivious to this...nor do I disagree...but I still don't like it. Funny how Nebraska was/is the glue to the entire landscape of college football as we know it. How fitting. :D:koolaid2: :koolaid2: