great opportunity missed?

With the Big 12 losing 2 teams (and knowing they were probably losing at least someone a long while ago) I can't help but think of an opportunity that may have been missed. Why not add Utah, Boise State or TCU? Seems to me a golden opportunity for these "BCS busters" to join a top BCS conference and show the country they can compete in a big time league.

Boise jumped awfully fast from the WAC to Mountain West--not exactly a monumental leap forward-so they were obviously in the market for a new conference. Now I love underdogs and Utah over Alabama was a huge step forward for a much needed playoff but I also tire of hearing how these teams would be undefeated regardless of their conference. I say add Utah and TCU (Boise would have been better) and keep the Big 12.

I think that Boise understands that the Big 12 will soon dissolve and the MWC can then make a push to replace it with an automatic BCS bid. I think they are trying to play it smart without over-doing it.

I agree this is the probable future. Seems like it would have been much easier to replace Nebraska and Colorado with Boise and Utah than have an established Big 12 completely fold and then pray for a Mountain West BCS bid. Texas probably could have kept its grip on the Big 12 since those 2 teams would probably agree to anything to finally be in a BCS conference.