Another Welcome to the Big10 thread!

Yeah, I think the little t is stupid in tOSU. As a the title of something, it should be an upper-case T, so it would be TOSU.

It actually isn't that we have an identity crisis. The name of the university is officially "The Ohio State Univesity". Now, I don't think that should merit a T in the acronym, but if we must, then I think it should be a big T. The small t that everyone does on the internet looks really stupid.

Buckeyes have really eccentric ways of expressing their pride in their alma mater, but we are among the most passionate in the country - even if we are sort of psychotic. The football culture is really a religion in the region - much like Nebraska. The Horseshoe really is a Cathedral, and every fall, it is really an evangelistic experience for millions of Ohioans who love the sport and the tradition. I think a lot of upstart schools just have crazy fans who love football, but everyone who grew up in the region here grew up with the Buckeyes. It is such an inescapable part of the culture, the lifestyle, and the traditions of this part of the heartland. I was shocked how absolutely intertwined it is, and it isn't like this in many places I've been to. I think this is why Ohio State people have been coming on here by the dozens to welcome Nebraska here. Ohioans get Nebraska and they recognize in their fans a lot of the same experiences and characteristics about their growing up and living in a football culture. It is a very comfortable fit, and even though it is easy for everyone to see how the well-mannered Nebraskans are great football fans, I hope people recognize that about Buckeyes and see through our sometimes rough exterior. That's why I'm going to show the first visiting Nebraskans a good time and that we're quality fans. We get a bad rep sometimes for the silly things that a few of our 50,000+ students do and I think the school needs to realize that this is a very important opportunity coming up in the perception war. We are not a culturally vapid USC or upstart Florida or a sanctimonious M*ch*gan. We are The Ohio State University.

/rant

Penn State's traditional stadium call is "We Are..." (the student side) and then, "...Penn State" (the alumni side). Most of the fans participate so it echos well outside the stadium. A more recent thingy is bouncing to Zombie Nation and adding "we are Penn State" to the music.

They've cut back on that though because there was concern about structural stresses inside the stadium from repeated, uniform bouncing. Yikes.

I wondered about that watching the Wisconsin Jump-Around video! These old college stadiums are fantastic in all their history but they have their obvious shortcomings as well.

After the game, win or lose, the team and the fans stay to sing the school's alma mater, "Carmen Ohio"

With everything negative that Callahan brought to our program I really did like.

I really miss that even though it was very short lived tradition! wish they would have continued that. A lot of colleges do something like it so its not unique- but its VERY College Football. It can be beautiful no matter what school is doing it.

Anyone remember the NET series Husker Century? The old players knew every word to "The Cornhusker (Come A Runnin' Boys)" even decades later. This is a song we don't even really use anymore! At the very least we should have our boys singing There Is No Place Like Nebraska after a game.

{{{steps down off the soap box}}}

Pardon my stupid question, but what does tOSU mean? Specifically, why the "t"?

Why are we called ""THE" Ohio State University"?

In 1986, a new University logo was introduced in the hopes of moving away from the "OSU" symbol, which had been used since 1977. The change from simply "OSU" was said to "reflect the national stature of the institution." University officials wanted the institution to be known as "The Ohio State University," again, since OSU could also mean Oregon State and Oklahoma State University.

However, the "The" was actually part of the state legislation when the university was renamed in 1878. The following excerpt is from the Board of Trustee minutes:

"...the educational institution heretofore known as the 'Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College,' shall be known and designated hereafter as 'The Ohio State University.'"

Those who wanted the name change thought the original name was too narrow in scope, and that it was inadequate for the institution that was the only beneficiary of the land grant act. President Edward Orton was insistent that a new name would separate the institution from other colleges in Ohio.

Legend also has it that "The" was used to show the other colleges which institution was supposed to be the leader in the state - both in size and in financial support from the legislature.

It was also rumored to be a stab at Ohio University since tOSU received the land grant title.

Since you have a Husker Tradition thread, I'd like to let you know some of the traditions and things to look forward to should you ever come to an away game in Big10 country. I am a Buckeye and have the most knowledge about them compared to the other schools so I hope other people can chime in with things regarding their own schools. Basically things that youtube doesn't do justice but you can get an impression of. Just going to post the ones I know of:

Wisconsin - This is a loud and raucous venue, but if you ever want to see the stadium energized, you definitely want to see the beginning of the 4th quarter. House of Pain's Jump Around is played and the entire stadium shakes.

Penn State - There is almost nothing more intimidating than walking in to Beaver Stadium and seeing the originators of the color out. Espescially during a night game. This is the 2nd largest stadium (may be first after Michigan's renovations) and it is loud.

Michigan - The M Banner. The players run underneath the banner on way to their sidelines.

And last but definitely not least.

Ohio State - One ouf our most well known traditions is The Incomparable Script Ohio. The Marching Band lines up in a rectangle and single file marches into position of writing out Ohio in script. This is a lot harder than it looks.

Another thing about Ohio State. We travel well. We travel very well.

(OHIO cheer at Northwestern)

(OHIO cheer at Purdue)

(OHIO cheer at Indiana)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E5gPKBD_tM (OHIO cheer at Michigan)

If you're from another Big10 school, please post anything I'm missing.

actually the Winnipeg Jets of the NHL are the inventors of the white out!!!