Defensive Players to watch 2010

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/5814809/23166524?tag=coverlist_footer;coverlist_photo_content

"Jared Crick, Nebraska: He'll have to follow one of the greatest Nebraska defensive players in history in Ndamukong Suh, but Crick will definitely make a name for himself in 2010. The first-team All-Big 12 member recorded 9.5 sacks last season, while also having 15 tackles for a loss. He also recorded 73 tackles, including 42 solo. As great as Crick is, hopefully the voters' won't penalize him because of what Suh did last year because he deserves to be judged on his own merit. With Nebraska ranked in the Top 10 in most preseason polls, Crick could definitely follow Suh and earn votes at the end of the season. Oct. 16 vs. Texas will be the Huskers biggest challenge of the season."

:koolaid2:

The days to camp seem like years this summer... :blink:

This Suh thing actually has people thinking a defensive player can win the award...too bad. If Suh could only get fourth there's no way anyone on this list even gets a second look.

:yeah

If Suh couldn't win in a year where NO ONE but him seperated themselves from the pack [ie, great offensive players] as he is herald as the BEST college Defensive Tackle of ALL-TIME, then NO ONE, and I repeat, NO ONE will EVER win it on defense, again.

Heck, I don't even think Charles Woodson would have won it last year if he played his 1997-self.

Ingram was deserving to be in New York, but not to win it. Had Tebow not gotten it in 2007 as a Sophomore [lets be honest, Dennis Dixon of Oregon deserved it that year, Oregon fell off the face of the Earth when he got injured] then Ingram does not win it as a Sophomore. Ingram had a great game against Florida, thankfully, but he was slightly overrated for winning the Heisman I thought.

Tebow winning the award opened the door for underclassmen to win the award. Tebow in 2008 had better stats/season than he did in 2007, but with Bradford being the Quarterback of one of the greatest offenses of all-time, it was hard to overlook that. Dixon should have won in 2007, and Suh should have won in 2009, and Frazier in 95.

The Heisman nowadays, is just awarded to the "Best offensive player playing in the National Championship or a BCS type bowl game". No way was Suh going to get enough votes to win the award as he was going to play in the HOLIDAY BOWL.

It's sad and a joke.

Back on topic....

Crick is a great talent, with him stepping up, that should open the doors for Meredith or Steinkuhler to play well, but sadly, if Suh could not win the award, Crick will not, and I don't see a TRUE defensive player winning anytime soon. And by "true" I mean, someone that doesn't both play offense and/or special teams, but no one plays both ways that is a threat to win it, so that is a moot point.

This Suh thing actually has people thinking a defensive player can win the award...too bad. If Suh could only get fourth there's no way anyone on this list even gets a second look.

If Suh couldn't win in a year where NO ONE but him seperated themselves from the pack [ie, great offensive players] as he is herald as the BEST college Defensive Tackle of ALL-TIME, then NO ONE, and I repeat, NO ONE will EVER win it on defense, again.

Heck, I don't even think Charles Woodson would have won it last year if he played his 1997-self.

Ingram had no business winning the award. Had Tebow not gotten it in 2007 as a Sophomore [lets be honest, Dennis Dixon of Oregon deserved it that year, Oregon fell off the face of the Earth when he got injured] then Ingram does not win it as a Sophomore. Tebow winning the award opened the door for underclassmen to win the award. Tebow in 2008 had better stats/season than he did in 2007, but with Bradford being the Quarterback of one of the greatest offenses of all-time, it was hard to overlook that. Dixon should have won in 2007, and Suh should have won in 2009, and Frazier in 95.

Ingram had a great game against Florida, thankfully, but he was slightly overrated for winning the Heisman I thought.

The Heisman nowadays, is just awarded to the "Best offensive player playing in the National Championship or a BCS type bowl game". No way was Suh going to get enough votes to win the award as he was going to play in the HOLIDAY BOWL.

It's sad and a joke.

Back on topic....

Crick is a great talent, with him stepping up, that should open the doors for Meredith or Steinkuhler to play well, but sadly, if Suh could not win the award, Crick will not, and I don't see a TRUE defensive player winning anytime soon. And by "true" I mean, someone that doesn't both play offense and/or special teams, but no one plays both ways that is a threat to win it, so that is a moot point.

Well said.

Ingram had no business winning the award. Had Tebow not gotten it in 2007 as a Sophomore [lets be honest, Dennis Dixon of Oregon deserved it that year, Oregon fell off the face of the Earth when he got injured] then Ingram does not win it as a Sophomore. Tebow winning the award opened the door for underclassmen to win the award. Tebow in 2008 had better stats/season than he did in 2007, but with Bradford being the Quarterback of one of the greatest offenses of all-time, it was hard to overlook that. Dixon should have won in 2007, and Suh should have won in 2009, and Frazier in 95.

Ingram had a great game against Florida, thankfully, but he was slightly overrated for winning the Heisman I thought.

It's sad and a joke.

Back on topic....

Well said.

The heisman requires a team that performs well to take it. If the huskers had upset texas or had picked up 3 more games and were a top 10 team last season Suh would have won it. Early balloting is what killed suh's chances last year. Like crouch, rozier, and rogers said last november at the experience room opening, they could only control their preparation, training, and what they did in games, but there teamates are the ones that put them in the position to compete for the heisman. I'm more angry with the O-line and Zac Lee for costing Suh his heisman than the voters.

I doubt Crick has a shot. At BEST, he'll have a year like Suh's. At BEST. That would make him one of the most remarkable DT's in recent college football history, which makes this a long shot IMO. Productive yes, but Suh-like is a big stretch. And we learned that being one of the most remarkable DTs in 15 years won't cut it at Heisman, which will go to some cookie cutter dime-a-dozen top RB or QB just about every year.

If anything, I think Prince has the best shot. Corner is a bit flashier of a position, and if he gets some packages on O along with returns...then again, I don't think that will happen.