Former UCLA commit Josh Shirley to transfer to Washington

What had been rumored for a few weeks became official today as the Huskies have announced that linebacker/defensive end Josh Shirley (pictured right in a photo courtesy of the Riverside Press-Enterprise) will sign a financial aid agreement and join the team next month. Here is the official release from the school.

Shirley was one of three UCLA recruits who were dismissed from the team after being arrested on June 23 on suspicion of stealing a purse. The LA District Attorney's Office this week referred the case instead to the City Attorney's Office to decide if misdemeanor charges should be filed.

UCLA announced earlier this month that all three players had been released from their letters-of-intent, allowing them to immediately enroll and play at another school. So Shirley will be able to play for the Huskies this season.

UW coach Steve Sarkisian said that the school had investigated the issue and felt comfortable bringing in Shirley, who will join the team Aug.8 when players officially report.

"We are very aware of the circumstances surrounding Josh," said Sarkisian in a statement. "We have done our due diligence and truly feel that this is not indicative of his true character or the way that he was raised. We are excited about the opportunity Josh has to excel on the football field, in the classroom and in his personal life in our environment, around our people at the University of Washington."

Shirley, from Henry J. Kaiser High in Fontana, Calif., signed with UCLA last February after also seriously considering UW --- he took an official visit to Washington the week the Huskies beat USC. That relationship helped ease the comfort level in bringing in Shirley now.

Shirley, rated a four-star recruit by ESPN.com's Scouts Inc., figures to likely contend for immediate playing time at the strongside linebacker spot that is wide open entering the season. Junior Alvin Logan and senior Victor Aiyewa, each converted safeties, are the leaders at the spot heading into the fall but neither has ever played the position in a game. (Here is some video of Shirley).

Shirley's presence could also allow UW to go with more 3-4 looks, something the Huskies said they may experiment more with this year if they run into depth issues at defensive end, where potential starters Kalani Aldrich (knee) and Everrette Thompson (Achilles) each missed the spring with injuries.

UW has the room to bring in Shirley after some off-season attrition dropped them to an apparent 81 scholarship players.

As the UW's release notes, he was one of 12 semifinalists for the Butkus Award and played in the U.S. Army All-America game where he scored a touchdown on a 77-yard return of a blocked field goal. The release also states that among his other honors, Shirley was the Defensive MVP of the Sunkist League, co-Defensive Player of the Year of the CIF Southern Section Eastern Division, a PrepStar All-American and a member of the Tacoma News Tribune's Western 100.

LINK

If the part about them being able to play immediately is true, that is nice.

Be a good citizen, decide you want to move back home to a different school, within your conference, to be closer to a sick mother, for instance, and sit-out a year. If you have already redshirted, lose a year of eligibility. On the other hand, commit what could have been charged as a felony criminal act, and go to a school within the conference and be eligible immediately! :throwdabones1:

All I could think of while reading this is Airplane.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rumack: Can you fly this plane, and land it?

Ted Striker: Surely you can't be serious.

Rumack: I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Sarkisian keeping it classy at UW...maybe he'll bring Ryan Leaf on as an assistant coach (yes, I know Leaf played at WSU).

Pelini keeping it classy at Nebraska. Rumor has it that recently dismissed UW 5 star TE Kavario Middleton is transfering to Nebraska.

touche. it is an awfully surprising move considering how strict bo has been with others with similar issues (notably quentin castille). i have no doubt the kid will be on a short leash, and i could see a last chance turning a kid around, but i am surprised by this development (assuming it's true, which it appears to be).

Sarkisian keeping it classy at UW...maybe he'll bring Ryan Leaf on as an assistant coach (yes, I know Leaf played at WSU).

Pelini keeping it classy at Nebraska. Rumor has it that recently dismissed UW 5 star TE Kavario Middleton is transfering to Nebraska.

touche. it is an awfully surprising move considering how strict bo has been with others with similar issues (notably quentin castille). i have no doubt the kid will be on a short leash, and i could see a last chance turning a kid around, but i am surprised by this development (assuming it's true, which it appears to be).

Middleton isn't a problem child.I would bet that you guys won't have any issues. All he needs is to get away from the kids he's been hanging around and someone to light a fire under his ass to get him motivated. Extremely talented kid. I would love to see him reach his full potential and he has a good chance to at Nebraska.

And before Matt, there was Tracy Wistrom.

sheldon jackson was no slouch either. what we haven't had for a while though is a true TE that can pound in the running game and still be an effective receiver. wistrom was a decent blocker by the end of his career, but was still not very big. mcneil made some progress at blocking last season, but there's a reason he was kicked outside. if cotton is progressing like i expect, we will finally have a prototypical TE knocking heads.