I have a wireless router. I have my laptop connected to my Xbox through an ethernet cable. I have the wifi bridged to the Xbox successfully through the ethernet cable. I have accessed the router and opened all of the ports microsoft has suggested. My 360's IP address is static/manually entered. and still... my NAT is moderate.

Any ideas?

I have a wireless router. I have my laptop connected to my Xbox through an ethernet cable. I have the wifi bridged to the Xbox successfully through the ethernet cable. I have accessed the router and opened all of the ports microsoft has suggested. My 360's IP address is static/manually entered. and still... my NAT is moderate.

Any ideas?

What do you mean your 'NAT is moderate'? What are you trying to do? (I'm not a gamer, but I am a network engineer)...

Router type: Linkys WRT110

The XBOX detects 3 NAT types. Open(you connect quickly to others and can join/host games) - Moderate(its about 50/50 on who you can play with - and Closed=Im guessing means you cannot connect to anyone.

How does NAT affect online gaming?

When you have a NAT warning, you might experience the following symptoms:

* You cannot hear a certain a player within a game or someone cannot hear you.

* You cannot join a party or your friend cannot join your party.

Some things to be aware of:

* NAT problems do not affect game play speed. A NAT warning affects the ability to connect and communicate with other players.

* You should not experience a NAT warning if you are using a wired modem connection.

* If you are using the network at your workplace or college, there is a good chance that you are behind a proxy server or firewall, which is why you are experiencing NAT issues. Contact your network administrator for help.

* If you’re using hardware that is compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7, NAT issues should not occur.

As far as I can tell, and I am a little tech savvy- is that somewhere through the wireless router you must have to open ports that the XBOX360 communicates through. I have accessed my router and changed all of these to match the IP address I gave my 360 it was whatever my router was plus .200 I read a website that said- since I disconnect and reconnect it so often to assign a static IP address to the xbox and since other CPU's(roomies) connect and disc from the wifi and they are not static- to assign it out of range of the numbers to avoid the wifi of assigning the same ip to a laptop and disconnecting me .

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/kb.aspx?category=xboxlive&ID=908874&lcid=1033

Or more in depth

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979000/

I opened the ports for my 360 .200 and restarted everything, but nothing happened.

you will need to use an address outside of the dhcp scope...someplace in the router it will tell you what that is (usually it will say something to like assign IP address in range of...).

Also, you will need to set the netmask...typically for home setups it will be 255.255.255.0

Also, the default gateway will normally be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 (use whatever IP you use to connect to the router).

Can you ping the xbox from a PC? open a dos window (start:run:cmd), and type ping and then the ip address you assigned to the xbox.

mm0

right right, I first set one up on the xbox360 at .200, I have been connected and gaming on it already-and entered netmask and gateway all on the 360 OS- It just still says im at Moderate and I cannot connect to some of my friends.

I pinged the IP address I entered for the xbox360 - xbox is online while I am doing this and I am using the CPU I am connected to the 360 with(through ethernet)

"with 32 bytes of data"

"Request timed out"

"Request timed out"

"Request timed out"

Ping statistics for "":

Packets= Sent = 4 received = 0 Lost = 4 (100% lost)

OK, gotcha...can you provide the IP addresses of the laptop and the xbox, and the mask.

If they are in the same subnet, you should be able to ping the xbox from the laptop. If ping fails, you probably need a crossover cable (some laptops will auto configure this, some won't).

mm0

The guys at this forum: http://www.sevenforu...p-wireless.html

say it cannot be done without putting my laptop at risk. Which doesn't make sense. Cant I just open the ports on the box and not the laptop if they both have separate IP addys?

risk to what? I assume you have a hardware firewall in your router. You are always at risk when you are online, but I don't see this setup as anymore risky than anything else.