Hypothetical Recruiting Question

Long time reader, Figured it was time to start contributing.

BTW, Eric, Nameless and Blackshirt, your insights have been deeply appreciated by many of us not close to sources. :cheers

Here is a hypothetical question I have been wondering for some time. Being I hate Colorado and Miami; I can't stomach either team's ethics. Actually, thinking about Colorado's dirty recruiting tricks lead me to this question:

Could an average Joe wreck a program like Miami? What would happen if a person went to the Rivals top 100, and became a self-proclaimed Miami fan, and mailed each of the Rivals top 100 a crisp $20 bill a letter stating that as a Miami fan, I really want you to come to Miami, and if you commit, more "presents" will be on their way. He may also send $20 and a letter to the graduating childern of any NCAA executives.

What would happen? I believe this would definitely be a recrtuiting violation according to the NCAA, but I dont know of any state or Federal laws prohibiting a person from giving a gift to another person.

Love to hear everyones thoughts, also has this ever occured? What would prevent this from occuring, since in reality, today's college football is a multimillion dollar business?

The NCAA defines a booster (also known as an representative) as someone who has:

1. Made any type of contribution to the athletics department or to a booster club

2. Joined the institution's booster club or any sport specific support group

3. Provided or helped arrange employment for a student-athlete

4. Provided benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families

5. Assisted in any manner in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes

6. Promoted the institution's athletics program in any manner.

Under your scenario, the person offering the money to recruits would be considered a booster under Number 5 and Number 6. That would make the attempted payments a violation by the institution.

There is no federal law governing the issue. Some states may have such a law, but I think that's doubtful. Essentially, it comes from the NCAA regulations.

By the way, if you would like to see the NCAA Coaches' Recruiting handbood, it is available HERE.

Hey man thanks a bunch for the kind words.

To be honest, these recruits, in college and not yet in, already receive these items, but it's whether or not they use the gifts, that is spend it. Who's at fault, well unfortunently the athlete who takes the money and does something with it. If the letter is anonymous, it would be tough to track. If the athlete lets his coach know right away about what he's gotten in the mail and report it to the proper officials, then he or she should be fine. I think I'm right. <_<

Welcome to the board first of all. Second, there is no need to do something like that. Let the coaches do their job and recruit kids who want to be here and not guys who were forced to be here because of one reason or another. Guys who end up at places they shouldn't have been in the first place never last long (see Curt Dukes, Joe Dailey, Andy Birkle, etc). Just let the coaches do their job is basically my response. We are better and classier then that. Last year we finished in the top 3 of recruiting classes. There is no reason to believe they won't do the same this year.