BCS Chaos and why try to kill the BCS

Sparker

Where's that deadhorse icon...there ya are.... dedhoarse

To keep it short...playoff doesn't fix problem...8 teams get in what about teams 9 and 10? What if team 8 gets in and wins the whole thing but team 9 AND 10 beat them in the regular season....

The pro-playoff group wants a playoff because they just prefer that system. To say it solves anything is simply not true. There will very rarely be undisputed champs in college football these days regardless of the system. I like the chaos and the polls and the strange scenarios and all the drama. Does a Big east champ deserve to be in the "playoff" bracket?

chuckleshufflededhoarse:yeah

I agree with much of the above. But for a chance to talk about all things BCS

What was the system before the BCS? Was it better/worse?

It was less satisfying because the tie ins precluded a #1 vs #2, as in 1993 and 1997. But it had the suspense of New Year's Day when a few teams could go in wondering if they could win the national champion of everything worked out. It was like the NFL's annual flowchartof 9-7 teams making the playoffs, except people really cared.

I posted in January:

Rose -- (2) Oregon vs (4) Wisconsin

Sugar -- (1) Auburn vs (6) Ohio St

Cotton -- (3) TCU vs UConn

Fiesta -- (10) Boise St. vs (5) Stanford

Orange -- (9) Oklahoma vs (12) Virginia Tech

Of course that is using some conferences and tie-ins that don't exist anymore [who was the other opponent in the Cotton?]. What a day it would be, even if it ended with Bama claiming the title.

If Boise or TCU stepped up their non conference schedule would it matter what conference they were in?

No

What would replace it?

Hopefully a plus 1 where all of the teams are recalculated after the bowls.

Why do the media seem to dislike the BCS more than the average fan? (maybe this is just my perception)

It forces them to think about why one team is more deserving than another. that's a little harder telling the camera that the winner of a playoof game was better than the loser.

Last question for now is why are so many people against a playoff system?

I think most people are for it. However the decision makers could lose a lot of money that they are making now. A playoff would have most of the revenue derived from the end whereas now it is much more spread out.