Big 10 tiebreaker scenarios

JTrain

Rose Bowl. Unless ranked No. 1 or No. 2 in the final BCS poll, the conference champion shall participate in the Rose Bowl. The championship shall be determined on the percentage basis of conference games (tie games counts ½ win and ½ loss). If there is a tie for the championship, the Rose Bowl representative will be determined as follows:

1. An ineligible team shall not be considered in the standings for determination of the conference representative.

2. If there is a tie for the championship, the winner of the game between these two teams shall represent the conference.

3. If there is still a tie, or if the tied teams did not play each other, the representative shall be determined on the percentage basis of all games played.

4. If there is still a tie, the highest-ranked team in the final BCS standings shall be the representative.

5. If more than two teams tie for the championship, the same selection procedures shall be followed with the following exceptions:

1. If three teams are tied, and if one team defeated both of the other teams, then that team shall be the representative.

2. If three teams are still tied, and if two of the three teams defeated the third team, the third team is eliminated, and the remaining two teams shall revert to the two-team tie procedure.

3. If three teams are still tied, and there is a tie game between two of the three teams, or if two or all three of the teams did not play each other, the representative shall be determined on a percentage basis of all games played.

4. If three teams are still tied, and one of the three teams is eliminated through the percentage basis of all games played, the remaining two teams shall revert to the two-team tie procedure.

5. If three teams are still tied, and all three teams have the same winning percentage of all games played, the highest-ranked team in the final BCS standings shall be the representative.

MSU and Wisconsin win out:

If Iowa beats Ohio State, there is a three-way tie between Iowa, Wisconsin, and MSU.

Iowa beat MSU

MSU beat Wisconsin

Wisconsin beat Iowa

I think Iowa then gets eliminated for the loss to Arizona, leaving MSU and Wisconsin, which MSU won head-to-head. So MSU plays in the Rose.

If Ohio State beats Iowa, there is a three-way tie between Ohio St., Wisconsin, and MSU.

MSU beat Wisconsin

Wisconsin beat Ohio St.

I think this leads to rule 5-3, and since they all would have the same overall W% at 12-1, the BCS rankings would determine the Rose Bowl participant. Wisconsin holds the edge at the moment, but OSU would come very close ending with a win against Iowa.

Hmm. I assumed that since OSU didn't beat anyone in the tie and MSU didn't lose to anyone in the tie that it would end up being MSU still - but your analysis seems to be correct. All I know is I am a huge fan of whoever is playing Wisconsin right now!