B10 Fit

robsker

Creed pointed out some important things about the Big Ten bowl schedule, but I will admit that several Big Ten teams tend to underachieve in bowls. Michigan being a big problem unless we are playing against the SEC (3-1 last decade against them in bowl games). Wisky, Iowa, and PSU are usually solid in bowls. But, as has been said, bowls are one game where anything can happen. I don't put much stock into using them to rank a conference, but I know a lot of people do.

As for where you guys fit in the conference, I think you will be fine. Speed is a great equalizer as long as you have it everywhere. I don't know if you do or not. For instance, DRob has great wheels, but our RBs aren't a threat to break the home run unless there is a broken assignment. In conference, teams have sold out on Denard running and forced us to pass or hand off to beat them. Our running backs are not fast enough to make teams pay and Denard still makes too many mistakes in the passing game. I know the Big Ten has a reputation for being plodding, but that is not true. We don't bring out the same kind of speed Florida does, but the Big Ten does put out some great LBs that can tackle in space. Although I wouldn't worry about finding any of those in Ann Arbor. Your offense will have some good games, but don't expect to just run around every defense you face. NW, PSU, Iowa, OSU all have solid defenses and Wisky, MSU, Illinois can turn it up when sometimes. Minny, Indiana, and Michigan should offer little resistance.

As for stopping Big Ten offenses, being undersized can be a problem sometimes. But if you have speed at every position and talent to go with that speed then it makes things easier. However, when you are playing upper tier teams in the Big Ten wrapping up is critical. Wisconsin RBs will run through hits and arm tackles all day. Even a lot of WRs are big enough to blow through smaller guys that don't wrap up. I would say solid tackling makes up for lack of size. Not many teams line up and pound you anymore. Wisconsin and Iowa can do it. OSU and MSU can if they really try to. NW and Purdue run a spread with a lot of short passing and zone-read option. Indiana throws it all over. Illinois runs a mostly running spread, but they have a freshman QB who might end up being pretty good.

One thing you guys have going for you is that several Big Ten teams are losing senior QBs this year. Off the top of my head Wisky, Iowa, Minnesota, and Indiana are all losing multiple year starting QBs, which could affect them next year. Personally, I can't wait to watch you guys play Wisconsin if only for the uniform battle. At least you have different letters on your helmets.