Anti Callahan Husker Fans

A lot of Husker fans right now ( and for that matter ever since January 3, 1998) have not been happy with any situation the Husker s have gotten themselves into. I was there at Solich's debut, and was there his last game in Lincoln. Two things stand out. His debut against LA tech, Tim Rattay gored the defense for about 380 yards passing. (And that was with St. Charlie McBride) his swan song at MEmorial was a happy little ass whipping, courtesy of KSU, where would-be savior Bo Pelini got exposed.

THe bottom line is this Solich was never universally loved. HE was screwed the minute he took the job and sealed his fate when he drove to Omaha, begged Eric Crouch to come back (!) Way to show who's boss Frankie, the team and staff gradually tuned him out, and our run came to an end.

And for everyone who hates Callahan and wants Solich that, I wish I could take a poll on his popularity when CU and Miami made us look foolish, and the Jammal Lord Expierence put us where we were now. Face it, if SOlich could recruit worth a sh#t, and would have played less favorites, I would have never had to watch Lord run a QB Keeper offense attack, or see coaches race across the field after a blowout to bitch about running the score up on his team. To me, that will always be rock bottom.

Bottom line, I like Callahan, I think he can turn this team around, if given the chance. If he gets canned this year or even two years from now, then we will have only 5 wins a year for awhile. THere is no one out there to take over this job. Urban Meyer is taken, there are no more Patriots coordinators, and while Wannestedt may be availiable after this week, he could be the worst coach in the history of football. ANd most importantly, myopic husker fans.... Osborne ain't coming back.

THis team is slowly improving this year, lets see how it plays out.

I think it is way too early to tell anything

Is the Husker D great this year? I don't know yet

Is SP a superbad AD? I don't know yet

Is Calahan a coach that can get results? I don't know yet

It's way too early to say anything, as far as I go.

2 games, 1.2 years, 2 recruiting classes, whatever. There aren't enough facts yet to be conclusive about anything.

For an opinion, I think things are ok. Could be better, could be worse. There should be support and optimism, but there should be realism, too. I can't wait for the day when Calahan and SP say "now this was a good game/season/bowl game", because that will be the true definition of their success. If it never happens in Calahans stay at NU, then so be it.

No matter what, I'm proud of the kids, like McKeon and Zac Taylor. They have the right attitude about things.

And that's a fact

No matter what, any coach, anyone in the world, would know that coming in, with your predecessor being fired at 9-3, he damn well knows what's expected of him.

I don't think Calahan would take the job here at NU it if he enjoyed failing, or getting fired.

And no matter what, unless you are going to fire BC yourself, you can say all you want but you might as well talk to a wall. He's our coach. He knows that if he fails, he won't last.

Everyone else in the entire nation, not just the Husker Nation, knows that.