AP witer has Huskers losing to Aggies in 'upset special'

hackflak

I've been watching aTm vs. OU highlights, and Tannehill is pretty damn fast. They will probably use him to run much like Texas did with Gilbert. This is going to be such a hard game.

No wonder the guy had so much success as a WR before getting behind center.

I think it's pretty funny that you assert that we might not be ready for a top 10 opponent when we just beat the crap outta OU two weeks ago...

Also, using common opponents generally works, but you have to factor in that we have had a major change to our team since the losses to OSU and Mizzou - changing QB's. Since changing from JJ to Tannehill, we have been a different team and you really need to evaluate our play over the last 4 weeks with a little more significance than what happened earlier.

The team that lost at home to Missouri wouldn't stand a chance on Saturday against the Huskers, but our current team will be more than competitive.

We have become a pretty balanced team across the board over the last 4 weeks. Our running game has gotten stronger, despite the loss of our starting RB (Christine Michael), with Cyrus Gray - who isn't a slouch, hitting his stride and rushing for 100+ in each of the last 4 games. Part of the reason for that is the improved play of our very young OL (start 2 true FR at both tackle positions and 2 sophs at the guards) and part of that has been a more balanced approach to play-calling with the insertion of Tannehill. JJ's top-end potential is greater than Tannehill's, but JJ just wasn't the same this year after his shoulder surgery in the offseason and he had become an inaccurate turnover machine.

However, Sherman was still calling plays with JJ like we had 2009 JJ and it was killing us. Since putting Tannehill in, he has balanced the play-calling and our current offense relies on our playmakers to make plays rather than just JJ. Jeff Fuller is one of the top WR's in the country and he has had a dominant year, but Ryan Swope has emerged as a solid second weapon WR and we still have big-play EZ Nwachukwu as our third threat.

Defensively, Von Miller is the straw that stirs the drink. His numbers are down vs. last year, but his production is actually up. He has gone from being a one-dimensional pass rusher to a guy that makes big plays all over the field. Overall, our defense has become a much more aggressive and physical unit as the year has gone on under the direction of first-year DC, Tim DeRuyter.

Our special teams have also become a weapon in a dramatic one-year turnaround. Our ST were flat-awful last year, but we have gotten consistent FG kicking from Randy Bullock (11-14 on the year) and decent punting out of Ryan Epperson (not a great classic kicker, but his punts are so weird that we get a good net). Our kick return game is very strong, with Coryell Judie having kickoff returns for TD's in back-to-back weeks against OU and BU - the first two games that he has returned kicks. He has 2 TD's in 7 returns.

Finally, we should have a pretty good homefield advantage this week. I know the Huskers have been very strong on the road, but our crowd is pretty unique across college football. I have traveled all across the country for college football games and I would be hard pressed to name a louder, more focused fanbase than ours. We will also have the largest student crowd ever to watch a college football game (I believe) with 30K+ - and they fill up a whole side of our stadium.

I have been to 3 NU games in Lincoln and I can honestly say that NU is my absolute favorite road trip. I think your fans are second to none in terms of hospitality and faithful support. However, I know our crowd is louder and this is a game that we are all pointing to right now - this game has become bigger than any tu game in recent memory.

While I wish you guys good luck, I believe this is a game that we will ultimately pull out in the end - 28-24 Ags...

• Fire 1

As far as NU/aTm, I'm hoping the Aggies are looking forward to the Texas game, not concentrating on Nebr., but probably not since they look so easy to beat and we are ranked in the top 10.

FYI this is very much not the case, Saturday's game is probably the most hyped game in College Station in the last ten years. The crowd and the team will be UP for this one.

I think the A&M defense is better than many think and this is going to be one heck of a game.

I think it's pretty funny that you assert that we might not be ready for a top 10 opponent when we just beat the crap outta OU two weeks ago...

Also, using common opponents generally works, but you have to factor in that we have had a major change to our team since the losses to OSU and Mizzou - changing QB's. Since changing from JJ to Tannehill, we have been a different team and you really need to evaluate our play over the last 4 weeks with a little more significance than what happened earlier.

The team that lost at home to Missouri wouldn't stand a chance on Saturday against the Huskers, but our current team will be more than competitive.

We have become a pretty balanced team across the board over the last 4 weeks. Our running game has gotten stronger, despite the loss of our starting RB (Christine Michael), with Cyrus Gray - who isn't a slouch, hitting his stride and rushing for 100+ in each of the last 4 games. Part of the reason for that is the improved play of our very young OL (start 2 true FR at both tackle positions and 2 sophs at the guards) and part of that has been a more balanced approach to play-calling with the insertion of Tannehill. JJ's top-end potential is greater than Tannehill's, but JJ just wasn't the same this year after his shoulder surgery in the offseason and he had become an inaccurate turnover machine.

However, Sherman was still calling plays with JJ like we had 2009 JJ and it was killing us. Since putting Tannehill in, he has balanced the play-calling and our current offense relies on our playmakers to make plays rather than just JJ. Jeff Fuller is one of the top WR's in the country and he has had a dominant year, but Ryan Swope has emerged as a solid second weapon WR and we still have big-play EZ Nwachukwu as our third threat.

Defensively, Von Miller is the straw that stirs the drink. His numbers are down vs. last year, but his production is actually up. He has gone from being a one-dimensional pass rusher to a guy that makes big plays all over the field. Overall, our defense has become a much more aggressive and physical unit as the year has gone on under the direction of first-year DC, Tim DeRuyter.

Our special teams have also become a weapon in a dramatic one-year turnaround. Our ST were flat-awful last year, but we have gotten consistent FG kicking from Randy Bullock (11-14 on the year) and decent punting out of Ryan Epperson (not a great classic kicker, but his punts are so weird that we get a good net). Our kick return game is very strong, with Coryell Judie having kickoff returns for TD's in back-to-back weeks against OU and BU - the first two games that he has returned kicks. He has 2 TD's in 7 returns.

Finally, we should have a pretty good homefield advantage this week. I know the Huskers have been very strong on the road, but our crowd is pretty unique across college football. I have traveled all across the country for college football games and I would be hard pressed to name a louder, more focused fanbase than ours. We will also have the largest student crowd ever to watch a college football game (I believe) with 30K+ - and they fill up a whole side of our stadium.

I have been to 3 NU games in Lincoln and I can honestly say that NU is my absolute favorite road trip. I think your fans are second to none in terms of hospitality and faithful support. However, I know our crowd is louder and this is a game that we are all pointing to right now - this game has become bigger than any tu game in recent memory.

While I wish you guys good luck, I believe this is a game that we will ultimately pull out in the end - 28-24 Ags...

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but Tannehills first 3 games were against opponents that DO NOT defend the pass all that well.

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but Tannehills first 3 games were against opponents that DO NOT defend the pass all that well.

You could also argue that the passing offenses that Nebraska has played have been largely unimpressive outside of Mizzou and OSU.

You could also argue that the passing offenses that Nebraska has played have been largely unimpressive outside of Mizzou and OSU.

Besides stats, you could look at the quarterbacks Nebraska has played in the last two years and see how much we have just shut them down.

Idaho is the #6 passing offense in the country.

Ok, so 3 of 10? ;)

I'm not saying NU doesn't have a good D, quite the opposite actually as I think you guys are the best defensive unit we'll see this season. I just think this is a game where it's tough to compare stats because of how these two teams have played this season. Nebraska has been very up-and-down inconsistent and A&M is a totally different team the last 3 games than the first 7.

Ok, so 3 of 10? ;)

I'm not saying NU doesn't have a good D, quite the opposite actually as I think you guys are the best defensive unit we'll see this season. I just think this is a game where it's tough to compare stats because of how these two teams have played this season. Nebraska has been very up-and-down inconsistent and A&M is a totally different team the last 3 games than the first 7.

So they've been good in 3 of 10? ;) It should be a good game.

Ok, so 3 of 10? ;)

We've been good in the last 4 - which is different than just picking a random set of games - it's about momentum.

I hear you on passing defenses that Tannehill has faced in terms of Tech and Baylor, but OU is 3rd in the conference in pass defense and 2nd in pass efficiency defense.

Additionally, as far as passing offenses that NU has faced, unimpressive is an understatement. Even 2 of the 3 that the other Ag here cited aren't that great - Mizzou does not have that good of a passing offense (8th in the B12) and let's get real about Idaho...

OSU is the only legit passing and running team you have played and they torched your defense for 41 points.

Outside of Oklahoma State, your defense hasn't even faced an offense ranked in the top 6 in the B12. 5 of your 6 conference opponents have total offenses ranked in the bottom 6, to say it another way. Plus, your offense has played the 5 worst passing offenses in the B12 (outside of your own). So, while I agree that your defense is pretty good, I'm not sure that they haven't feasted off of playing poor offenses, too...

Ok, so 3 of 10? ;)

We've been good in the last 4 - which is different than just picking a random set of games - it's about momentum.

I hear you on passing defenses that Tannehill has faced in terms of Tech and Baylor, but OU is 3rd in the conference in pass defense and 2nd in pass efficiency defense.

Additionally, as far as passing offenses that NU has faced, unimpressive is an understatement. Even 2 of the 3 that the other Ag here cited aren't that great - Mizzou does not have that good of a passing offense (8th in the B12) and let's get real about Idaho...

OSU is the only legit passing and running team you have played and they torched your defense for 41 points.

Outside of Oklahoma State, your defense hasn't even faced an offense ranked in the top 6 in the B12. 5 of your 6 conference opponents have total offenses ranked in the bottom 6, to say it another way. Plus, your offense has played the 5 worst passing offenses in the B12 (outside of your own). So, while I agree that your defense is pretty good, I'm not sure that they haven't feasted off of playing poor offenses, too...

Mizzou is a legit offense, and didnt they put up 30 on you?

Are only real sure hope to win is to air out over the poor pass defense that Texas A&M has, the problem with that, we don't have consistent WR's to make it a credible threat. Give it to McNeill, he is the most consistent WR we have at actually catching the ball. Paul and Kinnie need to be on their A game. Reed and Cotton will have to take the slack if Paul and Kinnie don't show up to play.

About the author though, the guy is only 4 - 3 when picking his upsets. Not very good credibilty backs his picks. Plus how is MSU beating Purdue an upset?

While I would agree that Mizzou is the 2nd best offense you have faced this year, Mizzou is only 7th in the conference and 40th in the country in offense... So... not that good.

I think you missed the point of that post. How that "not that good" offense torched (to use your term) your defense for 30 points.

I think you missed the point. What Mizzou did to our defense has no relevance to how our offense matches up with your defense.

The fact is Mizzou's offense isn't that good. I'm not saying they are bad, either...

Now, if you want me to delve into that irrelevancy, I would tell you that the Mizzou game was the season's low point for us for sure. I would say that our offense was abysmal in that game (JJ's last full game) and that, I believe, our defense played its worst game of the season partially b/c our offense was so inept.

Either way, this is a major league digression from the simple fact that your defense has faced 9 stiffs and one live body this year in terms of offenses...

A&M is 4th in the B12 and 12th in the country in total offense - so, we will be the second live body you will have faced... The first put up 41 on you. How will we do?