NU vs. Davidson

It's sad too, because if Doc could recruit, he could have a ton of success. His UTEP teams were a fine on-the-court product, and looked very, very much different than these Nebraska teams do. I've been patient and supportive of him as well, but it's all but been decided in my mind that he's not the right fit.

The best way to have success, as far as I can see, is to hire a popular assistant from a semi-big or bigger program (top 25 or higher) who can recruit. Basketball is very much a skill sport, and recruiting is even more important than in football (if you ask me). It all starts with recruiting, and as long as whoever you hire believes in the things we believe in at Nebraska, that is respect, family, honesty, doing things the right way, etc., then the rest can be learned or developed. I don't know why we keep going with head coaches from smaller, unproven schools instead of assistants that have been at the top. That's just me, though.

Good post. Few thoughts:

1. I agree completely with this. I'm not exactly thrilled T.O. has come out and said Doc will keep his job, BUT if you're trying to find a silver lining: it appears the new assistants can recruit a little bit, and Doc has said he will think recruiting will be different in the Big 10. Maybe, just maybe, a few guys will start coming... a big maybe.

2. It does start with recruiting, but in today's game, those values you described very rarely go along with recruiting. People don't want to admit it, but basketball is a very dirty sport with AAU coaches and runners guiding guys to schools that have these coaches/runners on payroll. T.O. won't allow any of these coaches to come in and do a clinic and get paid, which stops them from recommending NU to any of their guys (which are usually the elite prospects).

3. I'm sure they've tried to get assistants from big time programs, but honestly an assistant gig at KU or Duke or wherever is probably better than HC at NU. Maybe with the new practice facility and arena that will change, a new coach could come now because he sees there's a commitment to bball. Just maybe...