Bo just being Bo?

Billyball

The officiating sucked and most fans are rallying around Bo's attitude and condoning his behavior last night. I think others are beginning to see a coach that is out of control. The confrontation on camera with Martinez was particularly unfortunate. I can't see for instance Bubba Starlings parents saying "son, we want you to give up that huge baseball contract so you can go get cursed out on national TV with that guy poking you in the throat while doing it".

Bo's tirades against bad calls would be more effective if they were only against bad calls, were rare and did not continue for several plays ranting to every official in earshot. Besides being ineffective, I think it will cause a lot of close calls go against us.

Woody Hays got away with an abusive style and remained popular with his fan base for decades. This is a different era and unless Bo gets a grip, I fear he will join Leach and Mangino as coaches let go for behavior that wouldn't have even been mentioned in the Woody era. Passion is fine, but the HC has to be and be seen to be in control of himself and his team.

I'm only advocating Bo keep some things in check in instances where it may negatively impact the on-field rhythm/focus of the players, or when it hurts us in some other way - be it penalties, or just national perception. I think all of this passion and energy he shows is a good thing, but he can't open himself up to attack or it could harm the program in the long run. Got to have a way to harness it as a good thing, and avoid the sharks that smell blood and will jump on it every time. Even if it hurts in perception only, that affects refs and especially recruits and pollsters, all of which can hurt the team not just short term, but as long as Bo is here. Which to reiterate, I hope is a real, real long time.

I don't think Bo is out of control...far from it. But I think it is a perception that Bo must address by taking the time to learn how to handle the media, as much as he may hate it. Otherwise, it will be his undoing.

This thread should be closed. You have a coach who will bend backwards to have his players backs. When he argues a call he has a reason. I can't count the number of times we were flagged for almost nothing. I would rather have a Coach who would raise hell then sit there and be silent. Were 9-2 with a developing offense and a defense of noatter who we lose will be consistent and scare the hell out of offenses. Give us some time this team will be scary in 2 years. I promise

All I am saying is that a player often is mistreated by a player on the other team or an official. But you ask that player to keep his cool and play smart. Likewise the head coach has to "coach smart". Last night we got hosed. But what the officials saw and what the nation saw was not a "coach having his player's back", but a man nearly out of control, screaming at his own players, staff and the refs. When you hit that locker room a coach can let hit go on staff and players, scream, curse, holler etc. But you don't spend an extended time cursing your injured freshman qb while poking your finger in his throat on national tv. That goes beyond redressing a player who screwed up on the way back to the sidelines. Similarly, I truly think it hurts your cause to continue screaming at officials between every play for an extended period of time.

I hope I am wrong but IMO if Bo doesn't dial it back a notch, it's only a matter of time before he abuses a player or grabs and official and his coaching career at NU will be over. While fans look at wins and losses, the university administration looks at the image the conduct creates. So will the Big Ten. It will also impact parents...who in no way saw what they wanted as a parental figure for their son leaving home for the first time last night. Passion is great, but there is a line that can't be crossed and it only takes one step over that line in this era for any coach to be fired.

I'm only advocating Bo keep some things in check in instances where it may negatively impact the on-field rhythm/focus of the players, or when it hurts us in some other way - be it penalties, or just national perception. I think all of this passion and energy he shows is a good thing, but he can't open himself up to attack or it could harm the program in the long run. Got to have a way to harness it as a good thing, and avoid the sharks that smell blood and will jump on it every time. Even if it hurts in perception only, that affects refs and especially recruits and pollsters, all of which can hurt the team not just short term, but as long as Bo is here. Which to reiterate, I hope is a real, real long time.

I don't think Bo is out of control...far from it. But I think it is a perception that Bo must address by taking the time to learn how to handle the media, as much as he may hate it. Otherwise, it will be his undoing.

It's obvious all the yelling doesn't do sh#t, in many instances it makes things worse. We hammer Stoops all the time at OU for crying and bitching .....Pelini is as bad if not worse. :bonesflag: