Screwing NU

chamrocck

both Tom O and Pearlman should come out and say it was over the top but also should say they completely understand that NU is being hosed by the Big 12.

:yeah

I agree with this as best way to address the whole deal. It is a good compromise and ultimately puts the issue squarely back on the horrid officiating to be addressed. Here's what you do. Harvey, TO, and Bo all agree that Bo went over the top and should not have berated the officials in the manner in which he did. He can still have passion and not disrespect the officials or bring negativity to the university. I think Bo can agree to address this in the media, whatever, that he recognizes he went too far, he is sorry about it, etc. From here on keep Bo and the team out of it. But now Harvey and TO must have Bo's back for this to work and must put pressure on the NCAA to look into the biased officiating issues being perpetuated against NU. This puts the focus back on the other issue at hand that the media needs to deal with. Because if this is not done correctly, the media is only going to pick up that Bo was at fault, reflect poorly on NU, and ultimately sour Bo that they don't have his back. If I were Bo I would agree to make amends on this knowing they have his back.

This is how the headlines should read:

Pelini apologizes for sideline behavior; Perlman, Osborne call for review of Saturday's officiating

So, now you read the story and are like, "Cool, glad to see Bo apologize. But hey, so what are they going to now do with this awful officiating! Finally, NCAA needs to look at this!" And now the Big 12 is the target of scrutiny, not Bo...because he already apologized...but will the Big 12?

So I posted this yesterday in a thread that is now buried. The above was my opinion on how we handle this. I just watched the whole Bo presser. Bo did a pretty good job. It was a good move to remove Bo from the issue...we have a game Friday and he and the team need to focus. The part near the end when asked about the rumors that the Big 12 is screwing NU was funny watching Bo's response (the guy can't say anything but dang that will make for a good book in about 20 years!). So good job to Bo as he did his part. That being said, I am somewhat disappointed there was not a stronger emphasis on Perlman and Osborne making an inquiry to the Big 12...the response was more ya, we send stuff to the Big 12...same as normal, nothing unusual. We could have easily emphasized that yes definitely we want to understand the Big 12's response...you saw the disparity in penalties, there were critical calls we did not agree with (and while I did not react properly to them on Saturday), Perlman and Osborne have a serious inquiry into the league office about the officiating, etc., etc. They have my back and you can ask them about it...we expect a full response and Perlman and Osborne are handling that. THAT response would have been much better.

Sour grapes naysayers will say well what good is that going to do? First, Bo and the team are already using this as motivation, you can bank that. Secondly, this was the worst officiated game I have ever seen in all my years of watching college football. That is how NU fans will always remember it. But right now we are on our heels as the media focuses on this game as the day the Pelini Bros. exploded. The media is missing the other half (and larger half) of the story! We need to step up and handle this corruption and not lie down...Bo is not in a position to do that but Perlman and Osborne can...will they get it done?! So far, I am not seeing that from the presser and that is a sad shame.

Some things might be better left till we leave the conference and the Big 12 can do nothing to retaliate.

If a player or two of NU's gets hurt like Burkehead or Cotton almost did, arguably due to refs not enforcing anything on other teams, I could imagine something going down. Also, since NU settled with the big 12, giving them a chunk of $$$, I would think there is something in the agreement about the B12 performing its conference duties for the year, which should include unbiased officiating, but the problem is there are no measurable damages to NU just because they lost a game and were penalized for a bunch of yards. You would have to be able to prove the the refs were partial and be able to prove some sort of damages to even make the big 12 bat an eye at possible consequences.

Anything else Osborne or Pearlman do will just be perceived as whining. I don't mind that they are keeping their mouths shut. There is a lot of risk that all they do by talking is make the university look bad. Let the legion of fans and the local media draw attention to the slant. I'll do my part.