Intentional grounding

dergibog

What about when the QB is in the pocket between the tackles and throws the ball to nothing but open field? Example - In the 3rd qtr, Tannehill threw a deep ball to no man's land, and by "no man's land" I mean no one was within 15 yards of where the ball landed. I think Fuller ran the wrong route, a hook instead of a fly, so the throw was probably not intentional. But, it makes you wonder, doesn't it?

What about when the QB is in the pocket between the tackles and throws the ball to nothing but open field? Example - In the 3rd qtr, Tannehill threw a deep ball to no man's land, and by "no man's land" I mean no one was within 15 yards of where the ball landed. I think Fuller ran the wrong route, a hook instead of a fly, so the throw was probably not intentional. But, it makes you wonder, doesn't it?

The QB has to be under duress. It's a judgment call, the refs have to believe he was throwing it to avoid a sack. Of course, Tannehill could have been facing the Spanish Armada, then thrown that ball and we wouldn't have gotten a flag.

There really isn't a difference between intentional grounding and a sack, is there? It's a spot-of-the-foul, loss of down penalty, right? If so, it's the exact same thing as a sack.

But i don't know. Maybe the add yards. I don't remember.

It's 5 yards from the spot of the foul and a loss of down. So just like a sack -5 yards. I know this because in the opening drive of the Texas game Martinez got called for a IG even tho he was on his knees. It just so happens that on the 3rd and 19 that ensued he ended up a yard short and we had to punt, without that faulty penalty the drive would have continued.

There really isn't a difference between intentional grounding and a sack, is there? It's a spot-of-the-foul, loss of down penalty, right? If so, it's the exact same thing as a sack.

But i don't know. Maybe the add yards. I don't remember.

It's 5 yards from the spot of the foul and a loss of down. So just like a sack -5 yards. I know this because in the opening drive of the Texas game Martinez got called for a IG even tho he was on his knees. It just so happens that on the 3rd and 19 that ensued he ended up a yard short and we had to punt, without that faulty penalty the drive would have continued.

Field position wise it would be similar. But a sack would be credited to a players stats and a penalty goes against the team.