Callahan vs. Other Schools in Recruiting

Guest RockyMtnSooner

Guest RockyMtnSooner

Okay, I'm sure some of you will call me a Sooner idiot and on and on, but this is what Callahan faces while trying to get some top recruits: These comments were from Bill, Charles Woodson, and Tim Brown of the Raiders this football season:

Bill Callahan: "We are the dumbest team in America". Now isn't the coach responsible for his teams discipline?

Charles Woodson: "He just has to bend a little bit and stop being so stubborn as a person," Woodson said after the Raiders dropped to 2-6 by losing to Detroit 23-13 Sunday. "Everybody can change a little something. You don't know everything. Nobody does. "When people on your team, coming from different angles, are trying to help you as a coach, you should take that."

"With Gruden, you knew exactly what he was going to do," Woodson said. "At this point, guys don't know what we're going to do from week to week. (Callahan) might say one thing on Monday, and on Saturday, it's something different. (Gruden) built this team back up to where it was, and now it's falling apart."

Tim Brown: ``It got to a point where we're literally telling guys in the locker room, `Nobody hit this guy, OK?' '' Brown told interviewer Rich Eisen.

Every opposing recruiter that is going for the same guy as Callahan and staff will have these quotes. These are statements from Callahan himself, and two year-in-year-out probowlers. Call me what you want, this baggage may be hard to shake.

Like I said in another thread:

A ) His comment about being the dumbest team, while being pretty much

accurate, was taken out of context. They lost games on penalties alone. How much

dumber can you be. The guy tells it like it is.

What's in just a quote anyway? I can tell you that you can take a single quote from

most any speech out of context and make the quotee look horrible.

The coach is responsible for disciplining the team, but you know as well as I do

a player that gets paid millions a year and has an ego as big as the Woodmen is going

to do whatever he wants. On to my next point....

B ) The Raiders team has a group of whiny, narcissistic players who didn't like

Callahan to begin with. Couple that with a dick of an owner and you get a fired coach.

Al Davis would have ruined Marcus Allens career if he hadn't got out when he did.

If a recruit decides that he doesn't want to come to NU because of three quotes from

random people, well then maybe we don't want him. A good recruiter sells what his

University has to offer and doesn't rely on quotes from a sensational media.

The only tact that I can see other school's using with these quotes is to allege that Callahan is not supportive of his players. However, most recruits won't care - they care about early playing time, getting on national TV, getting "prepped" for the NFL. Some care about the night life available. Hell, to a lot of kids today, last season is ancient history...

I don't care if his quote about the Raider's being "the dumbest team in America" was taken out of context. You still shouldn't say that publicly about your team. To me that shows a lack of discipline and tact. Secondly, there are lots of other football teams that get along great even though the players make more than their coaches. I'm sure that the players have contributed to the situation in Oakland, but I wouldn't like being called the dumbest team in America publicly myself.