Potato Cakes With Creole Or Cajun Seasoning

Roxy15

I made these last night with some grilled steak, etc. and these were the best potato cakes I have ever tasted. I eyeball alot when cooking...I added some more shredded potatoes than the recipe called for below and I also doubled the recipe because I didn't think using the amounts below would make that many, but, it did. The next time I make them, I will stick to 2 cups shredded potatoes if I am having steak with it like I did last night. Now if I was just going to have sandwiches with them...I may double the recipe. I had reservations about flattening the potatoes with a fork to make the patties 1/4 to 1/2-in. thick, but, it works and it is alot easier than forming them into patties before frying! ***1 Pkg. Frozen Shredded Potatoes Can Be Substituted For The Real Potatoes; Thaw. I used real potatoes. Real potatoes are better than frozen if you have the time to peel and shred them. The next time I make them, I will add some Shredded Cheddar Cheese in the mixture before frying. I forgot to do that last night.

Potato Cakes With Creole Or Cajun Seasoning

2 Cups Peeled, Shredded Potatoes

1/3 White Onion, Shredded-I Shredded A Whole White Onion

1/3 Cup Chopped Green Onions-Or More-To Taste-I Used More

2 Eggs, Beaten

2 T. All-Purpose Four, Or As Needed

1/1-/2 Tsp. Cajun Seasoning Or Tony Chaheres Creole Seasoning

Canola Oil Or Vegetable Oil

Place the potatoes in a cloth, and wring them to remove as much moisture as possible-Or put Shredded Potatoes in a large bowl and pat with a paper towel.

***I just patted potatoes with a paper towel.

Mix the Potatoes, Onion, Green Onions, Eggs, Flour, and Cajun or Creole Seasoning together in a bowl until thoroughly combined.

Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat until it shimmers. Drop about 2 T. of the potato mixture per patty into the hot oil, and flatten the potatoes to make the patties 1/4 to 1/2-in. thick. Brown the patties in the hot oil until golden and crisp on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Season both sides of potatoes with Garlic Salt, Pepper, & Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning While Frying.

Flip and cook on the other side. Drain the latkes on paper towels.

Use Ketchup Or Sour Cream To Top Potato Cakes Off-(Opt.)

***1 Pkg. Frozen Shredded Potatoes Can Be Substituted For The Real Potatoes; Thaw.