IF (and I emphasize if) we have a losing record. .

BiggerRed

at the end of the year, how long do you estimate before Callahan (and likely Pederson) get the axe? I am trying to stay positive and look on the bright side, but I think I am starting to absorb some of the negativity of my co-workers. If our offense is anemic in nearly every game this year, do you think this will be it for Callahan? I think he gets one more year regardless. Of course, if (god forbid) the consecutive sellout streak ends, this will definitely get the board of regents attention.

Given the cost of a buy-out, I don't see it happenig after this year - particularly if we get another stellar recruiting class. Too expensive. In addition, it was difficult finding a coach after the 9-3 record and the firing - imagine what it would be like if it happened this quickly. Finally, I think for program stability you can't continually change coaches.

Given all that, I think we can expect to see Callahan remaining as coach for most, if not all, of his contract length.

You make a good point about the buyout. What's his contract 5 years? can't remember. Anyway, if we have a terrible season next year.. I'm sure they'll start looking around.. if someone real good is available right away, they may just do it, otherwise they probably will hold out.

You make a good point about the buyout. What's his contract 5 years? can't remember. Anyway, if we have a terrible season next year.. I'm sure they'll start looking around.. if someone real good is available right away, they may just do it, otherwise they probably will hold out.

I don't think the record will be the determining factor - it will be two things:

1. A significant fall-off of revenue, both in ticket sales and in contributions; and,

2. Less than stellar recruiting classes.

If both of those remain strong, then I would bet the Athletic Department will go the full term of the contract, figuring that they can then approach condidates with the line that the talent level is up, and that they will give the new hire a fair chance to succeed.

If either of those dip, though, then the University will act - it will no choice. You can't support a program like NU's without the income, and you can't afford poor records if it causes a drop in recruiting.

It's a critical 2 years for SP, BC, and the entire staff.

Everyone will feel the effect of these coming months, from SP, to Pearlman, to you and me, all the way down.

Wow, I never thought of it that way, but....

I guess that is pretty damn good reasoning for why many are on edge...

It is a clutch situation that could effect the program for years to come, BC or not. This will be a time that everyone remembers, there's no oeverlooking that. The end of an era, changes, yeah.....

but now, will Husker fans remember this as the birth of something? or just a... another period of waiting.

Nobody knows.

But .... "art of war", all the way.

The battles, games, etc, will be one long before game day, especially at this rate. Can momentum be kept, can BC get the O to execute, can we keep talent coming in, all these things and more.

And most of all, can we win games?

Even more so, since

"not the victory, but the action"

In what way do we win, or lose....

Actually, I think Pud will be the first one fired. As you say, BC is Pud's toy if you will. If it doesn't work out, Pud gets the axe first. If or when that happens, BC has just one year to get it together. If he doesn't do something stellar, he's done. I just wonder about all the Pitt fans that were on the bandwagon to oust Harris how they're feeling now?

I just read where Houston Nutt is on the hotseat especially after the throttling they took at the hands of USC. I guess we as NU fans should be greatful for a couple of things: one) Wannstadt went to Pitt instead of NU two) Nutt stayed at Arkansas rather than coming to NU. This has been my bone of contention with Pud all along. With foresight like this, how far does this ship have to sink before someone begins paling water?

Actually, I think Pud will be the first one fired. As you say, BC is Pud's toy if you will. If it doesn't work out, Pud gets the axe first. If or when that happens, BC has just one year to get it together. If he doesn't do something stellar, he's done. I just wonder about all the Pitt fans that were on the bandwagon to oust Harris how they're feeling now?

I just read where Houston Nutt is on the hotseat especially after the throttling they took at the hands of USC. I guess we as NU fans should be greatful for a couple of things: one) Wannstadt went to Pitt instead of NU two) Nutt stayed at Arkansas rather than coming to NU. This has been my bone of contention with Pud all along. With foresight like this, how far does this ship have to sink before someone begins paling water?

:yeah

Couldnt agree with you more :thumbs