Big 12 Baseball Preview

Nebraska

Reasons for optimism: NU coach Mike Anderson is a realist and really likes his team’s attitude entering the season. That could bode well for the Huskers. Though this team has much to prove in several areas, there’s enough young talent that a few players stepping up could turn the Huskers into an NCAA Regional contender. That’d be a huge step forward considering where this team finished last season.

Reasons to worry: The Huskers have a solid returning hitter in Cody Asche, but will have a tough time replacing leading hitters DJ Belfonte and Adam Bailey. More important, the pitching staff must make significant improvements. The Huskers finished last season with a 5.15 ERA and need a more consistent weekend rotation and bullpen. The program has some young talent, but will they make a quick transition?

Big 12 Snapshot

Schedule looks good; should give the team time to jell.

Because of my new job, will be going to a lot of Vandy games.

And, I'm already planning to come back for the Series.

Wonder if the new stadium will be finished in time?

Should be... but as far as the schedule... our first home series is UCLA.... not really much time before that to work out the kinks, but it will be a good early season idea of where this team is at and what the season may hold.

Not saying this will happen, but Nebraska could very easily have won 2 of 3 last year at UCLA. A lot of question marks surround this team...especially hitting. I was concerned for our offense last year, when we had Bailey and Belfonte, really have question marks this year. Will Erstad make a difference in our offensive production? He will need to IMHO!

Not saying this will happen, but Nebraska could very easily have won 2 of 3 last year at UCLA. A lot of question marks surround this team...especially hitting. I was concerned for our offense last year, when we had Bailey and Belfonte, really have question marks this year. Will Erstad make a difference in our offensive production? He will need to IMHO!

Yes, i know we could of, but we didnt... that was before the had two dominant starters.. Cole was good, but Bauer really came on more after the NU series.. I'm worried about that series majorly... 1-2 i think would be a win in that situation at this point....

good find.. not a huge fan of the interviewers. Very monotonous.. Asked some decent questions, but I don't quite think the one understands how scheduling in college baseball works.. Questioning the scheduling of Northern Colorado (who we've been playing forever) as well as UNK etc are not bad for the team.. It helps us develop our talent and don't hurt us in RPI. Especially with Northern Colorado, a state that we try to recruit pretty hard. They also don't seem to understand the new bats too well. I think it plays into the hands of teams like Nebraska and Texas that rely so much more on small ball.

good find.. not a huge fan of the interviewers. Very monotonous.. Asked some decent questions, but I don't quite think the one understands how scheduling in college baseball works.. Questioning the scheduling of Northern Colorado (who we've been playing forever) as well as UNK etc are not bad for the team.. It helps us develop our talent and don't hurt us in RPI. Especially with Northern Colorado, a state that we try to recruit pretty hard. They also don't seem to understand the new bats too well. I think it plays into the hands of teams like Nebraska and Texas that rely so much more on small ball.

Did not pay a lot of attention to the interviewers, more so Coach Anderson's answers. Regarding the scheduling and RPI question, I think you make good points for a team that plays in the Big 12 (high RPI conference), however for a team that plays in Big 10...need to schedule a tougher OOC, including midweek. I think you will see Kansas and Kansas State both added to midweek games. I thought Coach Anderson was very generic in his answers about pitching...no names or potential rotation plans, just real vanilla. Did mention the 3 freshman but I felt the interviewers pushed him to do so. Tried to do the same with the offense by spending more time on bat changes instead of talking about our offense. Did mention three players and where they would hit in order but didn't give us a good feel for what kind of offense we would have; i.e., opportunistic, power, small ball. What kind of offense does Coach Erstad like. Don't know, he spent more time talking about the bat changes.

Oh well, we are 5 weeks from first pitch and I am sure more info will be forthcoming.

Did not pay a lot of attention to the interviewers, more so Coach Anderson's answers. Regarding the scheduling and RPI question, I think you make good points for a team that plays in the Big 12 (high RPI conference), however for a team that plays in Big 10...need to schedule a tougher OOC, including midweek. I think you will see Kansas and Kansas State both added to midweek games. I thought Coach Anderson was very generic in his answers about pitching...no names or potential rotation plans, just real vanilla. Did mention the 3 freshman but I felt the interviewers pushed him to do so. Tried to do the same with the offense by spending more time on bat changes instead of talking about our offense. Did mention three players and where they would hit in order but didn't give us a good feel for what kind of offense we would have; i.e., opportunistic, power, small ball. What kind of offense does Coach Erstad like. Don't know, he spent more time talking about the bat changes.

Oh well, we are 5 weeks from first pitch and I am sure more info will be forthcoming.

We haven't really been a power team.. I'm assuming with the bat changes, it'll just help us because we do like to play small ball, I don't see Erstad changing that much. I agree with what you're saying with the Big 10, however, the conference has an automatic bid just like every other conference.. We'll have to beef it up to host, but even Michigan has hosted in the past... But I think the schedule will beef up a little bit.. The off weekends won't be UC Riverside or U La-La, even though those teams have been decent in the distant/recent past, we will need those to be stronger series to help that RPI. And I agree he was very vanilla, but that's fine with me.. We'll find out soon enough.. Can't wait for it to get here.

We haven't really been a power team.. I'm assuming with the bat changes, it'll just help us because we do like to play small ball, I don't see Erstad changing that much. I agree with what you're saying with the Big 10, however, the conference has an automatic bid just like every other conference.. We'll have to beef it up to host, but even Michigan has hosted in the past... But I think the schedule will beef up a little bit.. The off weekends won't be UC Riverside or U La-La, even though those teams have been decent in the distant/recent past, we will need those to be stronger series to help that RPI. And I agree he was very vanilla, but that's fine with me.. We'll find out soon enough.. Can't wait for it to get here.

Power teams this year may look different than past. Nebraska has some serious power potential, however it is relative to can they hit:

Asche- no doubter, he can hit and will lead the team in HR's. If no bat change, would hit for 20+. With bat change, 10-15

Scheffert- has power but can he hit good pitching, i.e Texas, UCLA A&M

Christensen- has power and should be first off the bus...kid is a specimen. Tailed off last year, probably due to scouting reports catching up with him. Can he make adjustments and make the jump to next level.

Cooper- more raw ability than anybody on team. Hoping Erstad can make this his number 1 project and Khiry responds. Would like to see Anderson go with Khiry from day 1 and let him get in a groove. Playing every

other game may be what is keeping this kid from breaking out.

Kiser- think he has more power than he has showed. Swing is more line drive, doesn't get lift. His power may be gap to gap. This would be fine if he can hit .350 and double Xtra base hits from last year.

Tolentino/Burleson- will they rotate or will one catch and one DH? Both are good size, but I like Burleson swing path better for power. Tolentino better as an overall hitter.

Peters- OBA...this is what he should be thinking.

Don't know anything about freshman. Need at least one to step up and be productive. With Asche, Scheffert, Christensen and Cooper, I think we have 4 kids who can mash. Will they, Asche will, others is yet to be seen. Cooper could wind up being a beast at 9 hole. That is where I see him starting the season:

Kiser- 2-5 hrs

Peters- 1-3 hrs

Asche- 10-15 hrs

Scheffert- 6-9 hrs

Christensen- 6-9 hrs

Tolentino- 1-3 hrs

Burleson- 2-5 hrs

freshman- 2-5 hrs

Cooper- 5-8 hrs.

other- 2-5 hrs

Here is hoping that Erstad can teach hitting. Go Big Red!

Power teams this year may look different than past. Nebraska has some serious power potential, however it is relative to can they hit:

Asche- no doubter, he can hit and will lead the team in HR's. If no bat change, would hit for 20+. With bat change, 10-15

Scheffert- has power but can he hit good pitching, i.e Texas, UCLA A&M

Christensen- has power and should be first off the bus...kid is a specimen. Tailed off last year, probably due to scouting reports catching up with him. Can he make adjustments and make the jump to next level.

Cooper- more raw ability than anybody on team. Hoping Erstad can make this his number 1 project and Khiry responds. Would like to see Anderson go with Khiry from day 1 and let him get in a groove. Playing every

other game may be what is keeping this kid from breaking out.

Kiser- think he has more power than he has showed. Swing is more line drive, doesn't get lift. His power may be gap to gap. This would be fine if he can hit .350 and double Xtra base hits from last year.

Tolentino/Burleson- will they rotate or will one catch and one DH? Both are good size, but I like Burleson swing path better for power. Tolentino better as an overall hitter.

Peters- OBA...this is what he should be thinking.

Don't know anything about freshman. Need at least one to step up and be productive. With Asche, Scheffert, Christensen and Cooper, I think we have 4 kids who can mash. Will they, Asche will, others is yet to be seen. Cooper could wind up being a beast at 9 hole. That is where I see him starting the season:

Kiser- 2-5 hrs

Peters- 1-3 hrs

Asche- 10-15 hrs

Scheffert- 6-9 hrs

Christensen- 6-9 hrs

Tolentino- 1-3 hrs

Burleson- 2-5 hrs

freshman- 2-5 hrs

Cooper- 5-8 hrs.

other- 2-5 hrs

Here is hoping that Erstad can teach hitting. Go Big Red!

Oh yeah, I don't think the new BBCOR bats are going to make as big a difference as first thought. Yes there will be a difference...about 5% in the speed off the bat with the BBCOR vs. last year.