Yankees v Scumbags

Eric the Red

Yanks, Sox set to decide AL East race

By Mark Feinsand / MLB.com

The Yankees and Red Sox. Three games. One division title at stake.

Is it any surprise that the American League East will come down to this weekend's series at Fenway Park? If you've been paying attention at all during the past three years, it shouldn't be.

Each of the last two Octobers has featured seven-game American League Championship Series battles between these two storied rivals. This year, that clash comes a few weeks early, as New York and Boston square off for the division title, with the possibility that one of these teams will head home for the winter on Sunday night.

"We don't have to look at the scoreboard anymore," said Derek Jeter. "We don't need help from anyone else. The best team over the next three days is going to win the division."

"We're playing good baseball," said Alex Rodriguez. "We feel good; we're in a good state of mind. It's the right time to go to Boston. You knew it was going to come down to this."

The Yankees hold a one-game advantage in the division heading into the weekend, having taken three of four from the Orioles while the Red Sox split four games with the Blue Jays.

"Everyone has talked about this weekend for 10 days, but if Boston and New York didn't take care of business, it would have been irrelevant," Rodriguez said. "I'm glad that it's here."

New York also maintains a one-game lead over the Indians, who are tied with the Red Sox atop the Wild Card race. But only two of the three teams will find themselves playing on Tuesday when the AL Division Series gets underway.

Yankees Coverage

• Yanks, Sox set to decide AL East

• 'Cinderella' Small secures Yanks' lead

• Singer: Here they go again

• The Nation and the Empire duel on FOX

Red Sox Coverage

• Epic battle set to begin at Fenway

• Big Papi helps Sox keep pace

• Yanks-Sox rivalry in second century

Season Series

• 09/11: Yankees 1, Red Sox 0

• 09/10: Red Sox 9, Yankees 2

• 09/09: Yankees 8, Red Sox 4

• 07/17: Yankees 5, Red Sox 3

• 07/16: Yankees 7, Red Sox 4

• 07/15: Red Sox 17, Yankees 1

• 07/14: Yankees 8, Red Sox 6

• 05/29: Red Sox 7, Yankees 2

• 05/28: Red Sox 17, Yankees 1

• 05/27: Yankees 6, Red Sox 3

• 04/14: Red Sox 8, Yankees 5

• 04/13: Yankees 5, Red Sox 2

• 04/11: Red Sox 8, Yankees 1

• 04/06: Red Sox 7, Yankees 3

• 04/05: Yankees 4, Red Sox 3

• 04/03: Yankees 9, Red Sox 2

The Yankees will win their eighth consecutive division crown if they can take two of three this weekend. Should the Yankees and Red Sox finish in a tie, but ahead of the Indians, the Yankees will claim the AL East based on winning the season series with the Red Sox.

"Our mindset is to go out and play three games in Boston," said manager Joe Torre. "If we don't have to play three games, that's fine, but we're not thinking in terms of, 'All we have to do is win this many games.'"

Rookie right-hander Chien-Ming Wang takes the mound for the Yankees in what will easily be the biggest game of his career. David Wells takes the hill for Boston, looking to defeat his former team.

Wang has pitched well since returning from a shoulder injury earlier this month, but this game presents the most pressure-packed night of his brief career.

However, the Taiwanese pitcher has displayed a calm, almost robotic demeanor this season, showing little concern for the pressures that come with his job.

"He's as cool as any young pitcher I've ever been around," A-Rod said. "He probably thinks this is a normal regular-season game."

"He's got a lot of confidence," Jeter said. "He looks like he's unflappable; he doesn't seem to be fazed by too much."

Randy Johnson is scheduled to take the mound on Saturday, facing off against veteran knuckleballer Tim Wakefield, who will go on three days' rest. Mike Mussina and Curt Schilling are penciled in for Sunday's finale.

"You couldn't ask for a better ending," said Jason Giambi. "It's fitting that it would come down to the last three games of the season."

"We've played a lot of close games with those guys, a lot of meaningful games -- especially in October," Jeter said. "This is our playoffs now, so it should be fun."

Pitching matchup

NYY: RHP Chien-Ming Wang

• 8-4, 4.02 ERA in 2005

• 0-0, 3.86 ERA vs. BOS in 2005

BOS: LHP David Wells

• 14-7, 4.47 ERA in 2005

• 2-2, 4.26 ERA vs. NYY in 2005

Player to watch

Rodriguez absolutely owns Wells, hitting .353 (24-for-68) in his career against the southpaw with eight home runs.

Quotable

"I love the rivalry. It's as close to a playoff atmosphere as you can get, and as a player, that's what you want." -- Alan Embree

Yankees have Randy and then the moose going to the last two games...I like our chances greatly. ;)

The Moose has been hurting. SAWKS got Wakefield and Schelling. If the Sox win 1 more game, I think BoSox take the East and the Yanks take the wild card. Then we get massive tv ratings in October when they play again. No disrespect to the White Sox and Angels, but the White Sox have been downright terrible the last 2 months and I am just not much of a believer in the Angels. If the Sox and Yankees both make it in, they will be playing in the LCS. For the record, I am not a fan of either team, I just like the drama and the hatred between the two teams.

Yankees have Randy and then the moose going to the last two games...I like our chances greatly. ;)

The Moose has been hurting. SAWKS got Wakefield and Schelling. If the Sox win 1 more game, I think BoSox take the East and the Yanks take the wild card. Then we get massive tv ratings in October when they play again. No disrespect to the White Sox and Angels, but the White Sox have been downright terrible the last 2 months and I am just not much of a believer in the Angels. If the Sox and Yankees both make it in, they will be playing in the LCS. For the record, I am not a fan of either team, I just like the drama and the hatred between the two teams.

Schilling hasn't won in Mmonths and Wakefield changes moods more than my wife. Yankees take the next two and scumbags drowned in their own puke.