NU vs Fresno State

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

@Turn,

Your post is awesome and does point out the hopes that we (the fans) are hanging our hats on. However, how much longer can we continue to say "chalk this up to a learning opportunity".

Truths:

Over the last 3 years the skers offense has been at or near the middle of the Big 12 (2009 we were at the bottom of hitting and pitching)

2008 we were second in pitching and last in hitting, we won 41 games but lost the regional as a result of not having the ability to score. (Lost the regional in Haymarket Park)

2006 was much the same scenario as 2008...

So.. again I ask, how much longer do we tolerate the mediocre offense? Last year our pitching staff was young and had little depth but through the battles they improved. Pitching continues to be our strength while we continue to lose because we can't produce runs. If FSU's pitching is average then there is NO EXCUSE for yesterdays offensive performance. Rather, there is reason and that reason is reflected in the stats for the past 5 years. Anderson is not able to produce offense and this is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Much like the football fans did, its time for the baseball fans to begin asking why? Bo gave Watson 3 seasons to show change and improvement. How many seasons will Anderson get? We have one of the top baseball facilities in the country. The university has spent a large amount of resources to put a competitive and winning program together. The fans have in the past and continue to shell out $$$ in support but seemingly are fine with Cubs type scenario's. I for one am not a Cubs fan mostly for this reason. (The management and owners are fine with mediocrity.) Time for Husker baseball to make its own tradition and put the athletes on the field that have total confidence in their coaching. As it is now, I'm not sure the athletes have the confidence in AnderWatson.

Husker Hacker, Gonzalez shoved the baseball up our A&& today. I never felt like Nebraska was a threat today. Not one batter looked like they were capable of getting a hit in a crucial situation. I am still optimistic and think we will be alright. Hitting is as much mental as anything and I think Erstad is having to build a lot of hitters up from the bottom. FSU's approach at the plate is much more confident than ours....even when we are in hitters counts.

after today's performance (well, saturdays 1-0 a$$ whooping and yes, thats what it was.. an embarrassment) I've decided to from here out refer to the coach as Anderwatson and I hope others begin the anderwatson chat.

Watson will forever be known as "no offense" in the hearts of huskers and like Watson, Anderwatson should be added to that list of NO FREAKING OFFENSE!!!

1-0, pathetic.. I mean absolutely pathetic.

after today's performance (well, saturdays 1-0 a$$ whooping and yes, thats what it was.. an embarrassment) I've decided to from here out refer to the coach as Anderwatson and I hope others begin the anderwatson chat.

Watson will forever be known as "no offense" in the hearts of huskers and like Watson, Anderwatson should be added to that list of NO FREAKING OFFENSE!!!

1-0, pathetic.. I mean absolutely pathetic.

Anderson has nothing to do with our offense, other than coach third base. Hitters are coached exclusively by Erstad. Erstad doesn't teach our guys to check swing, on a 2-0 count, at a slider in the dirt. I enjoy talking baseball. If the board begins to develop in to a coach witch hunt, then I will quietly go away.

Texas A&M lost to Florida International yesterday 2-1. Texas lost to Brown yesterday, and according to a friend of mine would have lost other game if not for one player (Brown lost 4-3 and one player for Texas hit a Grand Slam, game 2 was 7-3 Brown). Missouri lost a series to Illinois at Chicago and a game to LeMoyne. Rice is 9-7 and lost 7-0 midweek to Sam Houston State. TCU got beat 7-3 by Houston Baptist. That is the same team that Nebraska put up 40 runs in 4 games last year on. Point being, early in the season and a lot of adjustments by hitters to be made. With the way our pitching is shaping up and the ability our hitters have, supposedly, we have a chance to finish high in Big 12. "It's not how you start, but how you finish"

Turn2,

I agree with you.. Witch hunts are degrading and counter productive. However, stats will argue the comment "Anderson has nothing to do with our offense, other than coach third base."

Check the stats from the Van Horn era to current and what you'll discover is a manager does have influence.

Stats:

Van Horn's last three seasons:

2000 - skers were 3rd in the conference's batting average

2001 - 1st w/ the first CWS appearance

2002 - 4th w/ the second CWS appearance

Enter Anderwatson:

2003 - 7th

2004 - 9th

2005 - 3rd w/ the third CWS (and our first CWS win)

2006 - 5th

2007 - 7th

2008 - 9th

2009 - 9th

2010 - 7th

I too enjoy discussing baseball but one can't ignore the facts. Players play for coaches and for the best coaches, players usually play above their potential. Anderwatson's ability to get the "most" out of his players has to be a concern. Why is it that Van Horns first season nearly doubled the wins with the same lineup from the previous year or how is it that the skers fall from one of the top hitting programs in baseball to the conference bottom when Van Horn leaves?

I never support witch hunts but I know (and I'm sure you do as well) that if the fans say nothing. If we accept mediocrity and do so while continually supporting and handing out the cash.. then nothing will change. The program stagnates and over time becomes nothing more then a bottom dweller.

The program next year begins a new. We enter a conference that we have zero traditions in and now is the time to begin writing our tradition. Now is the time we step on the field and with our vigor, our confidence and our game play "This is OUR HOUSE".

Also, regarding the check swings..

1. Most happened against an average curve made nasty by the 20 mile per hour north wind that magnified the motion. (excusable through the first rotation.)

2. All week the posters here talked about how FSU wasn't UCLA and that we'd see our bats wake. Hasn't happened and not likely to happen today. (It is however the rubber match so maybe FSU comes in with less focus.)

We, the skers, were projected to end the season near the league's bottom. Our pitching staff is dominating so I ask, how long do we continue saying nothing about our lack of offense? Someone is paid a lot of money to make decisions regarding how to improve. If improvement isn't seen then is it not logical to ask why?

Its not something Husker fans will forget and "if" Fresno State reaches the CWS I'm sure he (Rivero) and the FSU team as a whole will be reminded of the display of character we witnessed Saturday and Sunday.

their roster has him listed as Jordan Ribera #25...anyways i do agree with you, I thought he stained their team for that weekend even if Garrett Weber was the one ejected..Ribera put on a big show for only batting around .150..not even batting his weight!