Good video editing software

I'm looking for a new video editing software that I could download for free or spend no more than $100 on if I can't get Windows Movie Maker to work again. I'm using Windows Movie Maker 2.6 that I had to download because Windows 7 didn't have it already installed on my computer.

Last night I finished a 6 minute clip using Windows Movie Maker and when I went to save it on my computer it would show me the estimated time left until it was done downloading. It started out with 140 minutes and jumped all the way up to 300,000+ over night and its still at 0% when I woke up at 6:00.

I googled this problem and it seems like this is a well know problem with WMM and something with the codecs whatever that is. I've searched and found some solutions that I'll try when I get home but other than that it was frustrating to see that my movie didn't save over night after spending several days making this movie.

If anybody doesn't have any solutions to fix this problem I might be looking at another route to edit videos with free software or reasonable priced software.