Pistol Offense?

Fuzzy

I meant with the one back formation, to have Martinez under center with only one back behind him, I would rather see two like in split backs, or a fullback like in the I formation or strong/weak formation. I don't have a problem with shotgun, NU I would like to see less of it. It's like seeing boobs and wanting to see more the nipple and not the big vein that runs along the side of it.

I meant with the one back formation, to have Martinez under center with only one back behind him, I would rather see two like in split backs, or a fullback like in the I formation or strong/weak formation. I don't have a problem with shotgun, NU I would like to see less of it. It's like seeing boobs and wanting to see more the nipple and not the big vein that runs along the side of it.

Watson's gone

Sorry, that was an OU fan video. Didn't show our monster Roy Helu run or some of the other good plays.

You know, after watching that whole thing. I realized for the first time. Our defense looked tired. The offense looked like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off. Oklahoma looked like they came to play and the Huskers didn't.

I think the play selection in the video had to do with it. I don't think our defense looked tired or didn't come to play. I think we got outschemed and outcoached by Tom Wilson. The same for our offense, but by Brent Venables. Some will point out that OU didn't have that many points or yards, but it doesn't matter - you don't have to embarrass and trash the Blackshirts to beat them soundly. OU did what they needed to on offense and we couldn't stop them when we really, really needed to.

It was a good chess match to watch though. Both teams went at each other's throats. I loved how both NU and OU went for it on a 4th-and-1, and went for all the marbles with an aggressive play rather than running it up the gut ... and both succeeded magnificently. Boo on our OL play that game though. Rex probably gets it to Martinez without that piss-poor protection.

I guess we did run the Pistol quite a bit last season! The number of times a QB turned and handed it to a RB standing behind him. I think we're confusing the 'flavor du jour' that everybody has been going ga-ga on, with the 'Diamond' formation that OU used on occasion.

Most pistol plays I have seen don't incorporate the FB into the formation. I would like to see less one back and shotgun plays and more pistol and I form based plays.

Isn't the pistol one back from the shotgun? This whole thread is a mess...

That's like saying - I'd like to see less topless women and more boobs and nipple.

Not really. With the shotgun, you are almost always running East/West, whereas in the Pistol you are North/South. You can also add a second RB or fullback and run options or dive plays. It's damn effective. Here's a couple of example formations:

buckeye_pistol.gif

I know this sounds retarded, but my flag football teams started using this quite a bit about 2 years ago and did really, really well. Our QB was pretty fast, and we ran all types of options, tosses, and dives with a short passing game. It's really a sweet formation because the QB is farther back (our's was only 5' 10") but you can still run right at the Defense. We even used an extended I-Form where we had a FB behind the formation and used it as a goalline/short yardage formation.

Cool graphics, saunders. Should help clarify for the people who aren't familiar with the pistol.

In simple terms, it blends the best that both shotgun and under-center (UC) formations have to offer: You have the perspective and automatic drop back that the shotgun offers and yet the unpredictable running of under-center formations.