So now we are in a real conference

The new conference is fine. And I do believe that T.O. is right in saying that our move was due to the instability of the Big 12 overall, and not to spite Texas. Lots of teams, MU, A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, and CU were all among the rumor talk for moving out of the league. Big 10 wanted to add where the Big 12 looked ready to implode.

As far as the teams and culture stuff, I respectfully disagree.

Texas beat us a bunch of times and there is a lot of venom here for the Longhorns. I would have liked to stay in the league and turned that tide in our favor. We would have gotten it done. I have complete faith in that. Drivable games will be missed in CU, K-State, KU, ISU, and Missouri. We are down to just Iowa and Minnesota now and none are as close as say KU or KSU.

The conference power residing in the south argument seemed silly to me. I don't think it was all that much of a big deal to have the Big 12 title game in Dallas and what not.

Big 10 fit is good for our program, but our schedule just got a lot tougher. First off, we have to play Penn State every year. That's always going to be a tough out, particularly at Beaver Stadium, a house of horrors historically for our program. We replace Kansas with Minnesota, not a bit difference there. K-State and Northwestern seem similar from a football difficulty perspective. Missouri and Michigan State are probably a wash. Who here thinks playing Iowa will be the same as playing Iowa State? And Michigan has tradition and a base on which to build a powerful program. We play them instead of Colorado, a team that lacks a football compass.

Good fit. I understand. Difficulty level goes up though and I fear that if and when these teams beat us very much, attitudes will change a lot and in a hurry.

Nebraska isn't leaving because we went 9-1 against Texas in football. We left because Texas wanted all the power and everything done their way. If you think Texas cares about the other schools you need to quit dreaming. The Big 12 offices used to be located in KC now they reside in Dallas. The Championship game used to switch between Texas and Missouri now they wanted it in Dallas permanently. the only thing that really makes me mad about the Longhorns is that they can't even fess up to wanting to screw over everyone else. That's why i root for OU in the Red River Rivalry. Funny thing is with us and Colorado leaving it doesn't even really help them but Oklahoma instead. Texas has a hard time with K-State and now they have to play them every year. I see a lot of OU representing the Big 12 in BCS games in the future.

Good points about Colorado. They were with you so long though. I still don't understand why A&M feels much different from Tech.

They're both in Texas but IMO it ends there. A&M has great tradition (12th man, etc), great fans. good people. Tech on the other hand probably has the worst, most classless fans in the Big 12.

as for CU, that's true, Colorado was with us a long time but it is still a different culture-- Boulder even more-so than the state of Colorado despite sharing a border. though I think that added a flavor to the matchup (refuse to call it a "rivalry"). It wasn't like a Nebraska/Texas-power culture clash.

I also think it helped that a significant portion of the Husker fans attending games in Boulder were living in Colorado. Myself included up until a few years ago.

So how much do you see weather playing a factor now that the south teams need to play all the north teams? I see issues if Texas teams have to play up in Kansas, Iowa, Missouri in November. Grant it, it may only be every once in a while the weather turns ugly that coincides with a big Texas or A&M game at KSU, Missouri, etc but I think people underestimate the effect playing in cold, wind, freezing rain/snow has on college kids. Heck it even plays a role in the NFL where warm weather teams are not used to it.

I wonder if that played a role in moving the game indoors??? The South team would be at a disadvantage playing outside in KC in December.

Good points about Colorado. They were with you so long though. I still don't understand why A&M feels much different from Tech.

They're both in Texas but IMO it ends there. A&M has great tradition (12th man, etc), great fans. good people. Tech on the other hand probably has the worst, most classless fans in the Big 12.

as for CU, that's true, Colorado was with us a long time but it is still a different culture-- Boulder even more-so than the state of Colorado despite sharing a border. though I think that added a flavor to the matchup (refuse to call it a "rivalry"). It wasn't like a Nebraska/Texas-power culture clash.

I also think it helped that a significant portion of the Husker fans attending games in Boulder were living in Colorado. Myself included up until a few years ago.

What culture would that be?

Hightimes.com

1) University of Colorado - Boulder, CO

Founded: 1876

Enrollment: 25,607

Out-of-state tuition: $21,453

Web site: colorado.edu

A recent study commissioned by the US Department of Health and Human Services ranked Boulder as the second-most-pot-smokingest city in America (behind Boston). It’s no coincidence that this offbeat locale was where Mork set down his spaceship in Mork and Mindy—but if the local freaks ever get to be too much for you, solitude can be found in the Rocky Mountain National Forest, which practically borders the campus.

But University #2 is interesting: