Nutt

Spartness

This comes from an unhappy fan from an Arkansas board. Don't you wish S.P. had hired him? Hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a different angle on Nutt

« on: October 10, 2005, 11:26:46 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's just post gripes we want him to address. I assure you, if he would address these gripes of mine, I'd give him another chance fer shur.

* Hire a real recruiting coordinator, somebody with FREAKING SEC REGION TIES FOR GOODNESS' SAKE.

* Hire a real special teams coach WHO CAN EVALUATE, RECRUIT AND COACH KICKERS IT'S AN ARKANSAS TRADITION OR USED TO BE UNTIL YOU BURIED IT LIKE AN anklebiter!

* Be an administrator not a micromanager. Hire real coordinators and delegate. Manage the big things that are going unmanaged BECAUSE THEY INTIMIDATE YOU. Treat your assistants LIKE REAL MEN NOT PUPPIES. Smack down ANY assistant who does not stick to the plan. NO EXCEPTIONS.

* Make players earn playing time THEN GIVE IT TO THEM when they earn it. Senior favoritism is bull.

* Don't let your stupider assistants manage young men's "attitudes." That's the sign of administrative incompetence. Deal with what people do. Reward good behavior. Tell them what good behavior is and isn't. Punish only deliberate missteps. Correct and reinforce. And SUPPORT FAIRNESS. Players follow a strong, fair leader.

* Do not shy away from recruiting everywhere we should be looking, but DO NOT BE SO FREAKING LATE to find prospects in our regions. Suck it up and catch up. If your staff does not have the energy or motivation, FIRE THEIR ASSES YESTERDAY. This isn't a career job, being an assistant coach. Won't be for you either if you spend the rest of your days going .500.

* Assign assistants to positions THEY KNOW HOW TO COACH. Why does this require bright orange crayon? Why do I have to say it? NO ASSISTANT IS A GOOD ENOUGH RECRUITER TO MAKE UP FOR BEING AN INCOMPETENT COACH.

* Does it really win games to play your fullback at punt returner? How stinkin cowardly is that? Is our fullback really our best hands guy on the entire team? HOW CAN THAT BE? WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU RECRUITING?

* HOW CAN YOU SIGN 10 SAFETIES A YEAR and HAVE NO SAFETIES?

* Does the middle of the football field have a magical force field over it, or are we purposely not throwing any footballs into there? I coulda sworn I saw one bounce off.

* The situations when it makes sense to run the same back three times in a row = WHEN WE ARE AHEAD BY NINETY. And that's all.

* Having eight usable offensive linemen is OK if YOU'RE AN NFL TEAM AND YOU CAN DRAFT ALL OF THEM FROM BIG UNIVERSITIES but YOU CAN'T and YOU GET THEM FROM RABBIT'S CROTCH, ARKANSAS so YOU NEED MORE OF THEM IF YOU ARE GOING TO SURVIVE.

* I know it's a grand old tradition for Arkansas to have a decent quarterback only once every 10 years but how about we drop that one?

* Pooch kickoffs = shortcut to defeat.

* Vanderbilt = don't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever lose to them again. Think Danny Ford and SMU. Riiight.

* When your own players do not think the best players are getting on the field, something is wrong.

* Deep snappers are nice, but are they really worth a whole scholarship? Can't you do the baseball thing and award 1/10th of a scholarship to 10 of 'em?

* Timeouts are precious commodities. Really.

* When a trick play is preceded by a timeout, it doesn't count as a trick play. It counts as a BLARING RED NEON SIGN THAT SAYS "HEY EVERYBODY!!!! HERE COMES THE TRICK PLAY!!!!! I WANT TO LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE TONIGHT!"

doesn't the "introduce yourself" thread have a "worst moments" category?

The near-hiring of Nutt might actually be in my top 10 for worst moments. just the Near hire of the guy. thinking that Houston Nutt may be the next coach of Nebraska, even if the rumors were only short-lived, was a nightmare.

on the message boards i had frequented at the time, it seemed like every Husker fan was angry as hell about that possible hire. there weren't even any sunshine pumpers around on that one.

thank god AK got to keep him.