Alfonzo Dennard soaks in older brother's wisdom

Alfonzo Dennard's "ups" are the stuff of legend among teammates.

"The dude can flat-out jump out of this world," Nebraska wide receiver Brandon Kinnie says of the senior cornerback.

The 5-foot-10, 205-pound Dennard is explosive, not to mention exceptionally strong and physical at the line of scrimmage.

There's something else, though, that most impresses Nebraska senior safety Austin Cassidy.

"It's the way Alfonzo competes every single play," Cassidy says. "When he first got here (in 2008), it didn't matter if he knew our defense or not. He was going to go for the ball. It didn't matter if he knew what he was doing -- he just wanted to compete so badly.

"I think the secondary as a group, when we see someone playing with that much fire and passion, it gets everybody else fired up and ready to play."

Dennard, a native of Rochelle, Ga. (population 1,400), gives Nebraska's potent defense a certain strut.

A second-team All-Big 12 choice last season, he supplies a discernible brashness that's appealing because he backs it up with consistent excellence.

Of the Husker defense's three foremost stars -- Dennard, defensive tackle Jared Crick and linebacker Lavonte David -- Dennard arguably has the most flash and boldness. His teammates feed off his confidence.

Who can forget Dennard openly pleading with his coaches last October to allow him to cover Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon, one of the nation's best players?

Dennard says he's long been confident. He was like that as a kid.

"My older brother, he always said, ‘If you want to be great, you've got to go against the greatest player,'" Dennard says. "Every time I go out on the field, I want to cover the best player. No matter if I win or lose, I'm going to fight. I'm going to go out swinging. I have that fight in my heart."

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_84b0fd53-1407-542e-9366-0c2b7e255568.html