Volleyball - Huskers already a marked team in the Big Ten

There will clearly be no love lost between Nebraska coach John Cook and Penn State coach Russ Rose over the next few years. I would imagine both programs will use our biannual tilt as a measuring stick.

Here's a USAToday article about the Huskers' move to the Big Ten, and the games Russ is already playing:

Nebraska already marked team in Big Ten volleyball

LINCOLN, Neb. — This Nebraska-Penn State rivalry is about to get really fun.

The volleyball season hasn't even started and Nittany Lions coach Russ Rose already is tweaking the Huskers, picking the Big Ten newcomers to win the conference championship.

This comes from the coach of the program that has won four straight national championships and eight consecutive Big Ten titles.

"Well, you can ask Russ Rose how many sandbags he has and tell him thanks for putting that on us," Nebraska coach John Cook said Wednesday.

Responded Rose: "I don't sandbag and I don't ever blow us up. I'm past the point in my life where I've got to play (mind) games. It's just my opinion. It doesn't mean I'm not going to try to win. We're going to try to be the best we can be."

Cook said he didn't fill out a preseason coaches poll ballot because he isn't familiar enough with the personnel in the Big Ten. Results of the poll come out next week.

Loved this tidbit from later in the article:

Rose graduated from Nebraska and says the Huskers are his second-favorite team in every college sport. But he has been critical of Cook for not bringing the Huskers to State College, Pa., in their pre-Big Ten days, and in 2008 Rose refused to grant a release to a player who wanted to transfer to Nebraska.

"Russ and I — I wouldn't say we're best friends, but we have a good relationship," Cook said. "It's hot and cold. It's like dating."

Last night at the Match Club picnic, Cook asked the team which match they'd most like us to travel to. The answer: Penn State.