DBs?

kyle sibert

Last year, our corners were up on the line, jamming anyone and everyone, throwing off timing and allowing pressure up front. This year, we're playing off, allowing every short yardage pass possible. I'm ok when a dragging receiver outruns Compton for a first down, or even if there's a jump ball, but when the offense gets 8-12 yards per pass, the defense is going to give up points and even more yards. The gameplan may change when Dennard comes back, but the technique and philosophy of the corners isn't cutting it.

I don't think these corners have enough experience right now to jam up tight and stick with a man in the open field. That's the difference, they're not shutdown corners right now. Backing off and allowing shorter balls should, in theory, make it easier for you to defend downfield speed routes, stop and goes, etc. And who knows, maybe they're just not good at jamming up a receiver? If you try to jam a receiver and you botch it, your guy is down the field and in the endzone before you can say, "Damn, I just screwed the pooch."

• Fire 1

Our two corners are really young. Ciante's third start and Andrews second. We lost a lot of experience in the defensive backfeild.

Raymond has said that the corners wont be as physical as they were in the past.

I've read that before, but why? We were so successful last year, boasting the best secondary in the nation. There was a recipe for success, and Raymond is changing it.

Our two corners are really young. Ciante's third start and Andrews second. We lost a lot of experience in the defensive backfeild.

I've read that before, but why? We were so successful last year, boasting the best secondary in the nation. There was a recipe for success, and Raymond is changing it.

You have to work with what you've got. If the kids can't do it right now, they can't do it. And nothing is worse than trying to jam when you can't do it. If you jam and fail, you're beat and it's over. Period, end of story, the other team scores 6.

That doesn't sound good. I don't have a problem backing them off some so the young guys don't get burnt deep, but I hope we aren't doing that with an experienced guy. I guess we will see how it plays out, but I don't want to see a Cosgrove defense where our DB's play 10 yards back.

That statement is completely ambiguous and totally irrelevant when it's out of context like that. He could very well just mean we won't be seeing them be as physical right now because they simply can't do it. Out of context paraphrasing quote is out of context paraphrasing quote and useless.

I haven't seen or heard any games yet, so I have no idea what they really look like on defense. I personally think it is probably the youth that people are seeing from the DB's, so I am not too worried or anything. I am more worried about our LB's from what I am hearing.

Well, here's the thing... He gets paid the big bucks to coach the big boys and you and I don't. And we haven't even seen how they'll perform in the Big 10. I'll withhold my judgement on whether his philosophy is correct or not after I see our good CB run his style (the youngin's won't be as good a reflection right now). So yeah, sorry, I'm going to take the professional's word on it until I see for myself otherwise over someone on the internets. Feel free to do the opposite if you want, but don't expect me to respect your opinions, lol.