DBs?

kyle sibert

Look, I understand that Raymond is teaching for the Big 10--as much as been said by Raymond and Carl.

But I don't remember us having that much of a problem with new safeties and corners like we did last night. It wasn't a lack of physicality insomuch a lack of being in proper position or knowing assignments/roles--and while I know we had occasional problems under Marvin Sanders with that, it wasn't being repeated ad nauseam for a whole game like last night.

In fact, I only remember one distinctly bad half against an opponent with Sanders, and that was at Okie Lite last year--first half, lots of problems. Second half, stopped the leak (at least with their star WR).

We've already had two consistently bad halves with Raymond. While I'm not going to run him out of town, and while it's early, I'm also watching with concern that our secondary may be significantly weaker than we thought--we won't know for sure until the Fonz returns.

Which means that we need to keep the Tums handy for the next two weeks until Big 10 play is upon is.

How many of on have actually watched a BIG game? Not physical on the corners? Are you kidding me. And how does coach Raymond now how the Big plays at corner, based on his acceptance of a job at IU? Seriously, some of our guys have significant playing time...Cassidy...I can understand Green, but come on. And to say the BIG doesn't play physical and that they won't let them play like that in the Pro's is ridiculous. This is college and the Pro's are the Pro's and that is why there are College coaches and Pro coaches. Let them learn that there.

Overall I think we'll be fine once we get Dennard back. We did give up several good passing plays but we did hold Carr to under 50% completion percentage and he seems like a pretty good QB. Also our pass rush from our D-Line needs to improve. Zero sacks from this D-Line isn't going to cut it. As far as the coaching philosophy goes I'd wait till we have more games under our belt and have Dennard back before judging that.

I don't think these corners have enough experience right now to jam up tight and stick with a man in the open field. That's the difference, they're not shutdown corners right now. Backing off and allowing shorter balls should, in theory, make it easier for you to defend downfield speed routes, stop and goes, etc. And who knows, maybe they're just not good at jamming up a receiver? If you try to jam a receiver and you botch it, your guy is down the field and in the endzone before you can say, "Damn, I just screwed the pooch."

Exactly. And they're not strong enough right now to get away with jamming guys. They'd end up out of position or holding their guys.

I don't think these corners have enough experience right now to jam up tight and stick with a man in the open field. That's the difference, they're not shutdown corners right now. Backing off and allowing shorter balls should, in theory, make it easier for you to defend downfield speed routes, stop and goes, etc. And who knows, maybe they're just not good at jamming up a receiver? If you try to jam a receiver and you botch it, your guy is down the field and in the endzone before you can say, "Damn, I just screwed the pooch."

Exactly. And they're not strong enough right now to get away with jamming guys. They'd end up out of position or holding their guys.

What I'd like to see is a Peso with Stafford sliding down to the Peso position when we get Fonzie back.

What I'd like to see is a Peso with Stafford sliding down to the Peso position when we get Fonzie back.

I don't think you'll be seeing much Peso, sorry.

I don't think you'll be seeing much Peso, sorry.

I trust Bo will run the defense that he thinks will win us the most games. Not saying that is the Peso, but I would not rule something like that out. The Peso was not created just last year, we used it the year prior as well. It is still in our playbook.

could it possibly be that the Big XII is alot more of a pass happy conference that has alot of teams that get it out to their playmakers out wide using short routes and then let them make the run after the catch so NU had to play up tight on them and jam to throw off the QB and WRs timing and rythm and that the teams in the BIG use the run to set up the play action pass to burn teams deep so NU is playing off farther so they have more time to read pass vs run and that if they make a mistake they have more time to catch it and not be already burnt deep for six

Our two corners are really young. Ciante's third start and Andrews second. We lost a lot of experience in the defensive backfeild.

exactly...The expecations around here are ridiculous. Some need to see reality. They are both sophomores making their first couple of starts, and they expect them to perform like prince and dennard. It takes time and gameday experience guys. You cant just walk into a game being coached by anybody..anybody... and all the sudden be good. You have to play, see your mistakes on film, practice and repeat several times to get better.

Anyone remember Matt Ohanlon, ya the guy sucked it up the first couple games and blew the Vtech game for us but by the end of the year, ended up to be a dang good saftey...that everyone missed at the beginning of last year because our safties (sucked) again. Then looked what happend everyone got better as we played more games, Cassidy and Osborne played better and we had a stout defense...it takes time. Can no one see this but me?

It happens every year. You can really tell who has actually played a competitive sport around here.

I wonder when Fonzie comes back, if we will move some players around. Perhaps move Stafford up to the nickel/linebacker hybrid spot that Haag occupied for us. Stafford is a big body and could help with run support and being closer to the line of scrimmage, would be an even bigger help than what he is now. I would expect either Courney Osborne or P.J. Smith to take his place at the safety if it happens.

found this...

Last week, Nebraska coach Bo Pelini asked Jamrog to send a tape of two plays from NU's opener against Tennessee-Chattanooga — worked by Big Ten officials — to Bill Carollo, the league's supervisor of football officials. It's a common practice. In this case, Pelini wanted Carollo's interpretation for why the two calls were made and how they might be called in future games.

Typically, a supervisor of officials might send back an email or note — if they respond at all. Jamrog was shocked to find a voice-mail message from Carollo on his phone last Friday morning. He said it lasted nearly four minutes. On the message, Carollo broke down both plays and explained what was called and why.

"Bill came by this summer (to Lincoln) to speak to Bo and I,'' Jamrog said. "He wanted to let us know how they called things in the Big Ten and what they would be looking for. Then he asked Bo if he liked things done a certain way, in terms of how things are set up and run during the game. Bo told him a couple of things. And Bill said, 'Then that will happen. If it doesn't, I want to hear about it and we'll get it corrected.'''

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110912/BIGRED/709129821/0#shatel-huskers-receive-a-true-gift-of-unity